Lottery/Coat Hoax Causes Riot

Fact is stranger than fiction.
Peg

Post by Peg »

FullStory

A woman being driven around in a rented limousine pulled up at a coat store and announced she'd won the lottery and would pay for everyone's purchases, police said, but she ended up causing a riot when customers realized it was a hoax.

"She was telling people she won $1.5 million," Deakins said. "But it ends up she didn't win anything. She had no money to pay for anything."

About an hour later, Brown had the limousine driver take her to a bank to withdraw money, but she returned empty-handed, police Detective Steven Nace said. By then, store employees had called in two dozen police officers to handle the crowds.

By the time employees realized Brown didn't have any cash to pay, police said, she already had taken off in the limo.

That's when angry customers, realizing they weren't getting free coats, began throwing merchandise on the floor and grabbing clothes without paying for them, Nace said.

"Everybody was like, 'I still want my free stuff,' and that started the riot," he said. "It looks like (Hurricane) Katrina went through the store."

Police said they have no way of tracking down the customers who stole items and fled, but they're reviewing surveillance video.

Brown, 44, was arrested on three outstanding warrants for aggravated menacing, misuse of a 911 system and causing false alarms. She was jailed late Wednesday, but no charges had been filed against her related to the coat store chaos pending a mental health evaluation.
Peg

Post by Peg »

Why destroy the store and steal things because of someone who probably isn't playing with a full deck? I can understand being disappointed, but not destroying and stealing because of it.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Peg;1252154 wrote: Why destroy the store and steal things because of someone who probably isn't playing with a full deck? I can understand being disappointed, but not destroying and stealing because of it.

It's just how some people react to disappointment. Their savage, uncivilized inner being emerges.
cars

Post by cars »

The woman truly must have been (proved she was) mal-adjusted! To first "start" the whole fiasco, & leave to get the money, & then, "return empty handed"!!!

As for the people looting, some people just look for any excuse to loot!! Unfortunately, this woman gave them one!
Cars :)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Just shows how near to the 'savage' the human race really is, doesn't it ? :(
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”