Dead Cats Found In Freezer

Fact is stranger than fiction.
Peg

Post by Peg »

Link

MANSFIELD, Ohio -- At the Richland County Animal Shelter workers carefully watch cats placed in isolation.

"Most of them have the upper respiratory infection," Shelter Supervisor Melissa Houghton says.

And Some of them like these up here, have the thinning hair from the fleas," she said attracting our attention to two cats in another cage.

The animals are among the survivors taken from a Mansfield home on Wednesday.

Responding to a complaint, humane society officials say they found 32 living cats inside the two story home in which the woman who had them had moved only eight weeks earlier.

What was most shocking were the bodies of 35 more cats, 30 of them kittens, found in an upright freezer.

"She actually had them in individual ziplock bags like the kittens in freezer bags and the adults in large plastic bags she said she was saving them to bury them."

The story continues on to say:

Humane officials say there are mental conditions that might have contributed to the "hoarding" of the dead animals, which Houghton says could very well have died of natural causes because of the conditions and disease that some of the other cats have.

Of the 32 that were taken from the home alive, 26 have already had to be euthanized because of serious health issues, or because they were considered too wild to adopt out.

Houghton says because the woman agreed to get counseling they would not be pressing charges.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I feel very sad for her.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Post by Odie »

Peg;1243301 wrote: Link

MANSFIELD, Ohio -- At the Richland County Animal Shelter workers carefully watch cats placed in isolation.

"Most of them have the upper respiratory infection," Shelter Supervisor Melissa Houghton says.

And Some of them like these up here, have the thinning hair from the fleas," she said attracting our attention to two cats in another cage.

The animals are among the survivors taken from a Mansfield home on Wednesday.

Responding to a complaint, humane society officials say they found 32 living cats inside the two story home in which the woman who had them had moved only eight weeks earlier.

What was most shocking were the bodies of 35 more cats, 30 of them kittens, found in an upright freezer.

"She actually had them in individual ziplock bags like the kittens in freezer bags and the adults in large plastic bags she said she was saving them to bury them."

The story continues on to say:

Humane officials say there are mental conditions that might have contributed to the "hoarding" of the dead animals, which Houghton says could very well have died of natural causes because of the conditions and disease that some of the other cats have.

Of the 32 that were taken from the home alive, 26 have already had to be euthanized because of serious health issues, or because they were considered too wild to adopt out.

Houghton says because the woman agreed to get counseling they would not be pressing charges.

omg Peg!:eek:
Life is just to short for drama.
Peg

Post by Peg »

The article said she tried to take care of the cats but it got out of hand. I can understand it getting out of hand to a point, but 32 live cats, and 35 dead ones? I do feel sorry for her. How overwhelming would this be?
moonpie

Post by moonpie »

I do understand about loving these babies, what I don't understand is knowing the difference about being able to take care of them properly. She must have had mental problem, poor thing, but was she doing these cats a favour?

I have to say we have some friends that are taking care of some SPCA cats, mainly mothers that just had their babies and waiting to get adopted out, and they have taken in ferrel cats also, and now they want to adopt them because they feel they are not adoptable, because they seem like they are used to them only. I agree with all that totally, except they have 6 other cats now, and they are really on a budget themselves. They are such good people for doing this, but sometimesI wonder about their reality!:lips:
Odie

Post by Odie »

Peg;1243317 wrote: The article said she tried to take care of the cats but it got out of hand. I can understand it getting out of hand to a point, but 32 live cats, and 35 dead ones? I do feel sorry for her. How overwhelming would this be?

I don't know how she bought/rent it sight unseen?

and when she did get there......why not just phone the police?

doesn't everything just sound a little fishy?

and want she did to the cats and kittens by putting them in her freezer?
Life is just to short for drama.
Peg

Post by Peg »

Odie;1243331 wrote: I don't know how she bought/rent it sight unseen?

and when she did get there......why not just phone the police?

doesn't everything just sound a little fishy?

and want she did to the cats and kittens by putting them in her freezer?

She said she was going to bury them. I wonder when.

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”