from plastic policemen to flatpack policemen the AA grumpy column

Fact is stranger than fiction.
pantoandy

Post by pantoandy »

hello and welcome back to the AA grumpy column ranting in to 2009

thank god its over and we can get back to normal.

although i did make my peace as i do every year with the guvnor at midnight mass

anyway heres tonights new year new story.

In what is either an expensive joke or an indication of the lack of funding of essential services, Norfolk Police have drafted cardboard cutout police officers into service in Great Yarmouth.

The flat-pack PCs, dressed in high visibility jackets, have been deployed at shopping centres in the weird belief that they will “cut crime and keep crowds under control,” according to local police.

The 6ft 6in images have been on duty in Boots, Peacocks, Marks & Spencer and Debenhams in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, over the Christmas period and will continue to be a presence in the town into the new year.

A Norfolk Police spokeswoman said: “They definitely catch the eye which we think has helped calm down the festive crowds.”

She said some shoppers have been posing for photos with the cardboard officers. They have even proved a hit with women who like the strong, silent type.

Community Support Officer Jason Osben, of South Yarmouth Safer Neighbourhood Team, had the task of deploying the officers “on patrol” and helping introduce them to the town.

“If stores wanted a permanent PC on duty they would have to pay so this is a good free way of having a police presence in the town.”

Patrick Taylor, store manager of Debenhams said, “Of course, if someone is a seasoned shoplifter a cardboard cutout is not going to make a blind bit of difference.

“But I have seen other cutouts when I have been out and about in town and it makes the police presence seem very impressive.”

Mark Wallace of the TaxPayers’ Alliance said the public deserved better.

He said: “Taxpayers pay a lot of hard-earned money for proper policing not cardboard cutouts. No cardboard cutout has ever arrested a criminal or deterred a shoplifter and the public deserve better. At best, it’s an expensive joke and at worst it’s a waste of money.”

AAG

i have seen one of these flatpack p.c,s at morrisons in staveley chesterfield he was making sure that no one drove off without paying for their petrol.

it is a waste of money and another labour policing policy on the cheap like the plastic policemen we see patroling the streets of the uk.

we need real policemen on the beat more police recruited not some netto type policing.

at least he could be good for catching cardboard criminals.

AAG

Cardboard Cutout Police Officers “Patrol” Stores : The British National Party
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

pantoandy;1098254 wrote: hello and welcome back to the AA grumpy column ranting in to 2009

thank god its over and we can get back to normal.

although i did make my peace as i do every year with the guvnor at midnight mass

anyway heres tonights new year new story.

In what is either an expensive joke or an indication of the lack of funding of essential services, Norfolk Police have drafted cardboard cutout police officers into service in Great Yarmouth.

The flat-pack PCs, dressed in high visibility jackets, have been deployed at shopping centres in the weird belief that they will “cut crime and keep crowds under control,” according to local police.

The 6ft 6in images have been on duty in Boots, Peacocks, Marks & Spencer and Debenhams in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, over the Christmas period and will continue to be a presence in the town into the new year.

A Norfolk Police spokeswoman said: “They definitely catch the eye which we think has helped calm down the festive crowds.”

She said some shoppers have been posing for photos with the cardboard officers. They have even proved a hit with women who like the strong, silent type.

Community Support Officer Jason Osben, of South Yarmouth Safer Neighbourhood Team, had the task of deploying the officers “on patrol” and helping introduce them to the town.

“If stores wanted a permanent PC on duty they would have to pay so this is a good free way of having a police presence in the town.”

Patrick Taylor, store manager of Debenhams said, “Of course, if someone is a seasoned shoplifter a cardboard cutout is not going to make a blind bit of difference.

“But I have seen other cutouts when I have been out and about in town and it makes the police presence seem very impressive.”

Mark Wallace of the TaxPayers’ Alliance said the public deserved better.

He said: “Taxpayers pay a lot of hard-earned money for proper policing not cardboard cutouts. No cardboard cutout has ever arrested a criminal or deterred a shoplifter and the public deserve better. At best, it’s an expensive joke and at worst it’s a waste of money.”

AAG

i have seen one of these flatpack p.c,s at morrisons in staveley chesterfield he was making sure that no one drove off without paying for their petrol.

it is a waste of money and another labour policing policy on the cheap like the plastic policemen we see patroling the streets of the uk.

we need real policemen on the beat more police recruited not some netto type policing.

at least he could be good for catching cardboard criminals.

AAG

Cardboard Cutout Police Officers “Patrol” Stores : The British National Party

Where i live, cut ot's of police would make no difference. Kids laugh in their faces as it is. How long is it going to be before the kids set fire to the cut outs?

The only solutions to our policing problems are:

The removal of all text book targets for officers leaving them free to actually 'Police' the streets instead of 'Opportunist Collars to ratch up a few more notches on their truncheons.

The removal of 'Blunketts' PSCO army. They are a waste of space and money.

Bring back 'The Specials'

Attach units to each village.. not the beat Bobby who is now a laughing stock in this country.

Remove 'On the spot fines' and actually prosecute.

Build more prisons and youth detention centre's at what ever cost.

Have magistrates back to sitting six days a week with no limitations on sentencing.

Any immigrant sentenced by our courts to be immediately deported with no right to appeal.

Abolish 'Human Rights' for prisoners.

Remove all privilages for Prisoners.

Oh, I could just go on and on. :D
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
pantoandy

Post by pantoandy »

oscar i actually agree with you on all points :-6:-6:-6:-6:-6

10/10

THE GRUMPS

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”