Woman arrested for killing avatar

Fact is stranger than fiction.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Just in case anyone has any ideas.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -game.html

Japanese woman arrested after 'murdering' virtual husband in online computer game

A Japanese woman who murdered her virtual husband after the couple got divorced in an online computer game has been arrested and faces a possible jail sentence.

By Agencies

Last Updated: 5:30PM BST 23 Oct 2008

The 43-year-old piano teacher used her husband's password and identification to log on onto the interactive game, Maple Story, and killed his digital persona after he had divorced her online.

"I was suddenly divorced, without a word of warning. That made me so angry," a police official quoted her as telling detectives after admitting the allegations.

The woman had not plotted any revenge in the real world, the official added.

She was arrested on suspicion of illegal accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data.

The woman has not been formally charged. If charged and convicted, she could face a prison term of up to five years or a fine up to £3,000.

Players in Maple Story raise and manipulate digital images called "avatars" that represent themselves, while engaging in relationships, social activities and fighting against monsters and other obstacles.

The woman used login information she got from the 33-year-old office worker when their characters were happily married, and killed the character. The man complained to police when he discovered that his beloved online avatar was dead.

The woman was arrested and taken across the country, travelling 620 miles from her home in southern Miyazaki to be detained in Sappporo, where the man lives, the official said.

The police source said he did not know if she was married in the real world.

In recent years, virtual lives have had consequences in the real world. In August, a woman was charged in Delaware with plotting the real-life abduction of a boyfriend she met through the virtual world Second Life.

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I think G-man already addressed this in this thread.

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=41396

民办幼儿园将实行成本收费

兴趣班、特色课不得另收取费用

作者:

京报网讯 民办幼儿园今后将实行成本收费制度。凡是在园内举办的兴趣班和特色课程应列入收费项目,幼儿园不得另外收取 费用。这是记者从今天市教委召开的全市民办幼儿园管理工作现场会上了解到的。

目前本市民办幼儿园已经达到343所,占全市幼儿园总数的26%,在园儿童有57945人,占全市总数的2 7%。北京市教委和北京教科院早期研究所去年对全市18个区县的154所民办幼儿园进行的实地调研显示,民 办幼儿园现在普遍存在着办园成本高,收费高的问题。

早期教育研究所所长梁雅珠表示,造成民办幼儿园高收费的原因有很多,包括房租费用过高、各种各样的管理费用 过高等。有些民办幼儿园的收费少则每月五六百元,多则达到每月3000多元,甚至更高。

针对民办幼儿园收费问题,市教委副主任罗洁表示,今后民办幼儿园收费将实行按成本收费制度,坚持一费制,园 内举办的兴趣班和特色课程应列入收费项目,不得另外收费。要有明确的收退费制度,并及时将具体收费标准向社 会和家长公示。另外,幼儿伙食费用必须专款专用,幼儿与工作人员伙食账目与食物储存和制作须严 格分开。

市教委相关负责人还表示,今后还将制定对民办幼儿园的资助奖励政策,设立民办学前教育专项奖励 基金。

市教委将继续对民办幼儿园进行年度考核。其中,儿童一天户外活动不得少于2小时、缺铁性贫血患病率低于1% 、营养不良患病率低于1.5%、无传染病暴发、无儿童严重伤害事故等都列为考核范围之内。年度考核不合格的 幼儿园将被责令停止招生,并收回办学许可证。党晓晖

本文共 1 页 1 转到第 页

来源:北京晚报

:D
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

Of course. Didn't notice that. Obviously those numbers in the text are a dead giveaway.:wah:
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Wow...some folks take their computer life way to seriously!
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

A fine and five years?! That's absurd. Really. How can you kill something that exists not? People are getting crazy. Good story, OM.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotflOpenMind;1032508 wrote: Of course. Didn't notice that. Obviously those numbers in the text are a dead giveaway.:wah:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Id probably get the chair for FG crimes Ive committed.
I AM AWESOME MAN
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

RedGlitter;1032665 wrote: A fine and five years?! That's absurd. Really. How can you kill something that exists not? People are getting crazy. Good story, OM.

Seeing as how I'm not going to read anymore about the story than I already have my guess would be that she's being detained for computer hacking...
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

fuzzy butt;1032661 wrote: :wah::wah::wah: I think that's funny

I also think it's funny that we are supposed to read little squares and know what it means.:wah::wah:

OpenMind;1032508 wrote: Of course. Didn't notice that. Obviously those numbers in the text are a dead giveaway.:wah:

flopstock;1032789 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
You guys don't see chinese writing?
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Nomad;1032835 wrote: Id probably get the chair for FG crimes Ive committed.

there's no chair in the garden, you'll have to go to the dungeon instead! :D
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

K.Snyder;1032847 wrote: Seeing as how I'm not going to read anymore about the story than I already have my guess would be that she's being detained for computer hacking...

She was given the access codes by the guy who's avatar she 'killed' while their avatars were 'married'. No hacking required.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

OpenMind;1033118 wrote: She was given the access codes by the guy who's avatar she 'killed' while their avatars were 'married'. No hacking required.

Oh well then the Japanese governmental law is light years apart from the US if such holds up in court...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

OpenMind;1033118 wrote: She was given the access codes by the guy who's avatar she 'killed' while their avatars were 'married'. No hacking required.

Yes but if she didn't consent to his searching upon every instance I do believe that technically it can be considered hacking...
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

K.Snyder;1033679 wrote: Yes but if she didn't consent to his searching upon every instance I do believe that technically it can be considered hacking...

Nonetheless, she was sentenced for killing the avatar as opposed to hacking the site.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

fuzzy butt;1032661 wrote: :wah::wah::wah: I think that's funny

I also think it's funny that we are supposed to read little squares and know what it means.:wah::wah:

Me too :wah:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

OpenMind;1033939 wrote: Nonetheless, she was sentenced for killing the avatar as opposed to hacking the site.

Oh ok...

I don't believe I read what she was exactly charged with in the OP so I was left to assume...

But seeing as how she was charged with murdering an avatar this surely has to be a joke.

:wah:...

Hehe...Good one!!!!!!...

Hehe...

:yh_wink
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

K.Snyder;1036012 wrote: Oh ok...

I don't believe I read what she was exactly charged with in the OP so I was left to assume...

But seeing as how she was charged with murdering an avatar this surely has to be a joke.

Hehe...Good one!!!!!!...

Hehe...

:yh_wink

Actually, I have to correct my statement. As per the article - she was arrested for murdering her virtual husband after they were divorced (the virtual pair that is). She has not been formally charged but "She was arrested on suspicion of illegal accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data."

Sorry mate. I think I got confused somewhere along the line.:D
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

OpenMind;1036796 wrote: Actually, I have to correct my statement. As per the article - she was arrested for murdering her virtual husband after they were divorced (the virtual pair that is). She has not been formally charged but "She was arrested on suspicion of illegal accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data."

Sorry mate. I think I got confused somewhere along the line.:D

Actually,.."She was arrested on suspicion of illegal accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data." seems a bit serious...

If this isn't a joke this is assuredly, well,..a joke...

Not in the Ha Ha funny way but in the "this is absolutely ridiculous" sort of way.

What's next,..cutting off Yogi Bears hands?...

"Ia didn't steal no picanic basket Sherrif!!!!!!!" -- *FFFfffffffffff*...
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

K.Snyder;1037065 wrote: Actually,.."She was arrested on suspicion of illegal accessing a computer and manipulating electronic data." seems a bit serious...

If this isn't a joke this is assuredly, well,..a joke...

Not in the Ha Ha funny way but in the "this is absolutely ridiculous" sort of way.

What's next,..cutting off Yogi Bears hands?...

"Ia didn't steal no picanic basket Sherrif!!!!!!!" -- *FFFfffffffffff*...

I know where you're coming from KS, but that's why I posted the item in the first place.

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”