8th Grader: Felony for putting nuts in allergic classmate's lunch

Fact is stranger than fiction.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Eighth-Grader Faces Felony Charge for Planting Nuts in Lunch of Allergic Classmate

Sunday , April 20, 2008

LEXINGTON, Ky. —

An eighth-grader in Kentucky is accused of putting peanut butter cookie crumbs in the lunchbox of a classmate with a severe peanut allergy. The allergic student did not eat the cookies Thursday at Morton Middle School in Lexington.

Fayette County schools spokeswoman Lisa Deffendall says the accused student was arrested on a felony wanton endangerment charge. The student will face charges in the juvenile court system.

Deffendall says it was well known that the other student suffered allergies. There was no known history of problems between the two 13-year-olds.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;842423 wrote: Eighth-Grader Faces Felony Charge for Planting Nuts in Lunch of Allergic Classmate

Sunday , April 20, 2008

LEXINGTON, Ky. —

An eighth-grader in Kentucky is accused of putting peanut butter cookie crumbs in the lunchbox of a classmate with a severe peanut allergy. The allergic student did not eat the cookies Thursday at Morton Middle School in Lexington.

Fayette County schools spokeswoman Lisa Deffendall says the accused student was arrested on a felony wanton endangerment charge. The student will face charges in the juvenile court system.

Deffendall says it was well known that the other student suffered allergies. There was no known history of problems between the two 13-year-olds.

Attempted murder anyone?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzy butt;842438 wrote: We had a discussion on banning peanuts at school on this forum and most were against it .............??????

We had an incident of bullying much like this story.

Attemtped murder?..... pfft!!! :rolleyes:

Gee you guys are nuts about imprisoning half your population of children. No wonder they are so stuffed. Why not have him 1. expelled 2. give an apology and education on what he has actually done, and 3. have his parents or carers pay the hospital bills.

Or

1. give him a trial 2. send him to prison or probation 3. give him a criminal record at the age of 13 -14?

I thought I was referring back to the previous discussion with my reply - sorry for the interruption.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Where did these youngsters learn to be so coniving and mean...Its beyond me that kids these days are so devious.
abbey

Post by abbey »

Bryn Mawr;842428 wrote: Attempted murder anyone?At 13 I'd have probably done it for a laugh, but then I always was naive. :o
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

Well that 'bit of fun' would kill my daughter! She would stop breathing within 3 mins!

Attempted murder is exactly what it is! Although I wonder if the child that did this realised how bad a peanut reaction can be!
Pheasy

Post by Pheasy »

fuzzy butt;842469 wrote: Pheasy that's what I mean about education .

Brett (13) has a reaction to peanuts, basically he gets a burning sensation around his lip area. But that was the entire knowledge of a reaction to peanuts to him. It wasn't until a couple of kids around at the school began to get rashes and sores and breathing problems that the reasoning of a ban on peanuts became apparent. Now children at the school understand that it can be quite serious . I believe if you asked most children (and some adults) what the reaction of someone allergic to peanuts will produce they couldn't tell you. Kids do stupid things and they don't have the capability of thinking things through.

(BTW no other types of nuts are banned at the school Just peanuts and peanut oil.)

I agree Fuzzy. The problem is an allergic reaction has been put into a big bucket .. some get a rash ... some die. The children don't know the difference.

Also, a mild skin reaction can change to full anaphylactic.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Pheasy;842459 wrote: Well that 'bit of fun' would kill my daughter! She would stop breathing within 3 mins!

Attempted murder is exactly what it is! Although I wonder if the child that did this realised how bad a peanut reaction can be!

I saw the victim interviewed and she said everyone who knew her was very well informed about what would happen to her if she got around nuts.

An apology in this case is not good enough.

ETA: Sorry, I was thinking of a different girl they had interviewed on the news. One who went to the hospital because some enemy girl fed her nuts. My mistake.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzy butt;842454 wrote: Sorry Bryn i dont' understand that.

I missed too many steps out between the prompt and the response - the case reminded me of our previous discussion and therefore the likely direction of this one.

I must remember that it is not always clear to others what is in my head at the time I'm typing - it all made great sense in the echo chamber.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzy butt;843311 wrote: Ahhh so you're more like me than you thought....................Now that's a scary thought.:wah::wah:

I'm just not sure to which one of us it's scarier :-3:D

I suspect there's a lot of it about :)

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”