Father Kills Son. Mistook him for Turkey.

Fact is stranger than fiction.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

How do you mistake a nine year old boy for a fowl? That's a pretty big "turkey."

Father Kills Son in Hunting Accident After Mistaking Him for Turkey

Sunday , April 20, 2008

BELLE PLAINE, Minn. —

The Sibley County Sheriff says that a man who accidentally shot and killed his 9-year-old son while they were hunting apparently mistook the boy for a turkey. Sheriff Bruce Ponath says that Anthony Klaseus of Belle Plaine and his son Hunter were hunting turkey about three miles west of Belle Plaine around 6:30 p.m. Saturday when Klaseus shot his son in the chest with a 12 gauge shotgun.

Klaseus dialed 911 on his cell phone. Emergency responders pronounced the boy dead at the scene.

"He was absolutely panicked. That would be an understatement," Ponath said. "Very distraught."

Ponath said the shooting was an accident but that his department is continuing to investigate the circumstances.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Tragic how do you mistake someone for a Turkey.:-2
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

White meat or dark???
suzy_creamcheese

Post by suzy_creamcheese »

wtf???

trigger happy :thinking:
Grizzled_Bear

Post by Grizzled_Bear »

I think it's fairly common for people to get shot during turkey season. It's one of the few hunting seasons that allows firearms but doesn't require blaze orange.
Peg

Post by Peg »

Definately trigger happy. This father will have to live with this the rest of his life. I wonder if that's possible.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Jester;1010937 wrote: Tragic and not full of common sense. The only place a 9 year old kid should be on a turkey hunt is right next to dad. Totally avoidable, tragic and foolish all wrapped into one.

Bird hunting is one of the more common ways people get accidentally shot, the bird fly up from ground in a unpredictable manner, often crossing the pathway of another hunter. Inexperience and being unfamiliar with a weapon is the most common factor, if you havn't shot 1000 rounds from the weapon you take you shouldnt be taking it. Turkeys are difficult to shot, it takes stealth, skill and if your inexperinced and or impatient you should go with someone who has lots of experience or not go at all.

in my eyes, a 9 year old shouldn't be hunting!

makes them loose respect for animals.
Life is just to short for drama.
Grizzled_Bear

Post by Grizzled_Bear »

Odie;1010942 wrote: in my eyes, a 9 year old shouldn't be hunting!

makes them loose respect for animals.

I disagree. I think it would be fair to say that hunters, for the most part, try to inflict as little suffering on an animal as possible, use as much of it as possible, and since it's integral to their sport care about the environment.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Grizzled_Bear;1011598 wrote: I disagree. I think it would be fair to say that hunters, for the most part, try to inflict as little suffering on an animal as possible, use as much of it as possible, and since it's integral to their sport care about the environment.

my concerns are did the kid really want to go, or was he forced into it..........big difference..can be a traumatic experience.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Hoss;1012173 wrote: Oh that’s true, I doubt one so young should go turkey hunting, might be very boring for him.

Small kids should start out squirrel hunting. If you can learn to kill, dress and skin a squirrel without it being traumatic then your ready for bigger game.

but here we are taught not to hurt squirrels.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Odie;1012205 wrote: but here we are taught not to hurt squirrels.

http://www.canadahunting.ca/articles/in ... game.shtml

Canada Squirrel season:

Squirrel Seasons

Gray (Black), Fox

WMU(s)

36-41, 45

42-44, 46-50, 53-59, 61-67, 69B

60, 68, 69A, 70-92

93, 94

Open Season

Sept. 15 to Dec. 15

Sept. 20 to Dec. 15

Sept. 25 to Dec. 15

Oct. 29 to Nov. 7

Daily Limit

Possession Limit

Tater Tazz

Post by Tater Tazz »

It does happen alot during hunting season. What a shame.
aramis

Post by aramis »

It's an easy mistake to make,I once almost shot my son when I mistook him for a Jackass
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

mikeinie;842560 wrote: White meat or dark???

Is the turkey o.k. ????

I'M JOKING FOLKS
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Grizzled_Bear;1010724 wrote: I think it's fairly common for people to get shot during turkey season. It's one of the few hunting seasons that allows firearms but doesn't require blaze orange.

Fortunately, in this country, we do not have hoardes of Turkey wandering around the landscape just for any ****** to shoot at.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

oscar;1015598 wrote: Fortunately, in this country, we do not have hoardes of Turkey wandering around the landscape just for any ****** to shoot at.

No we just shoot at humans:D
Oscar Namechange

Chezzie;1015600 wrote: No we just shoot at humans:D

your spot on there Chezzie, they're easier to spot
Oscar Namechange

You know, thinking about it, i don't know how anyone can mistake their son for Turkey.

One is a small child, the other one is a large Middle Eastern Country full of Muslims. :confused:

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”