Today They're Called Squatter Camps.

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

A Hoovertown in Seattle, Washington, sometime in the early 1930s. Hoovervilles were shanty towns set up during the Great Depression, and were comprised of several hundred homeless people living in a makeshift camp. The “houses” were built from a variety of cheap objects, from wooden crates to cardboard. These hopeless communities were named after President Herbert Hoover, who many blamed for the financial crisis.

(See First Reply)
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Scrat

Post by Scrat »

That's roughly where Starbucks HQ is today and the stadiums. The homeless have been moved to the area under I-5 and along the side of Boeing field. This place was bulldozed to make a pier in 1941.
gmc

Post by gmc »

How are these events seen in the United States nowadays? Great struggles for freedom and equality or communist disturbances that were out to destroy the united states? Not being facetious or anything. I had relatives involved in the labour movement and who voted for Labour after the war and turfed out Churchill who thought things should go on as before. The right seem to have won in the states - so far anyway. Working class heroes anyone
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

jones jones;1384910 wrote: A Hoovertown in Seattle, Washington, sometime in the early 1930s. Hoovervilles were shanty towns set up during the Great Depression, and were comprised of several hundred homeless people living in a makeshift camp. The “houses” were built from a variety of cheap objects, from wooden crates to cardboard. These hopeless communities were named after President Herbert Hoover, who many blamed for the financial crisis.
Too bad Harding wasn't still president at the time. His depression of 1920 doesn't even make it into the history books because he didn't muck things up and stretch it into a "Great" depression. Presidents never get credit unless they take a long time to take care of something.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Now days those people would probably be arrested. Whoever owned the land would not allow such trash.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

YZGI;1385027 wrote: Now days those people would probably be arrested. Whoever owned the land would not allow such trash.

They'd call 'em Occupiers! :yh_rotfl
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Accountable;1385045 wrote: They'd call 'em Occupiers! :yh_rotfl

Ypu, no doubt.

Return to “History”