Bound by Tradition

tabby

Bound by Tradition

Post by tabby »

Bound By Tradition • Damn Interesting

I knew what foot binding was but never knew quite how brutal the process was ... thank heavens it's a thing of the past! Imagine doing that to a little girl! Never being able to walk properly again in their lifetime had to have had a gradual health affect. I read somewhere once where the pain caused by the foot binding was considered good training for the future pain of childbirth. ( a good wifely quality!) I suppose anything can be justified especially if you get enough people to buy into it.

In one form or another, most cultures past and present have had their share of physical mutilations in the name of beauty and physical allure. I had my ears pierced at age 14 at a local department store and afterwards my earlobes stung and burned like crazy as I walked through the mall yet I suddenly felt very cosmopolitan and grown-up. That was the beginning and end of my physical alterations ... no tattoos, no further piercings, no cement in my backside!
Ahso!

Bound by Tradition

Post by Ahso! »

Circumcision.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Chloe_88

Bound by Tradition

Post by Chloe_88 »

tabby;1376909 wrote: Bound By Tradition • Damn Interesting

I knew what foot binding was but never knew quite how brutal the process was ... thank heavens it's a thing of the past! Imagine doing that to a little girl! Never being able to walk properly again in their lifetime had to have had a gradual health affect. I read somewhere once where the pain caused by the foot binding was considered good training for the future pain of childbirth. ( a good wifely quality!) I suppose anything can be justified especially if you get enough people to buy into it.

In one form or another, most cultures past and present have had their share of physical mutilations in the name of beauty and physical allure. I had my ears pierced at age 14 at a local department store and afterwards my earlobes stung and burned like crazy as I walked through the mall yet I suddenly felt very cosmopolitan and grown-up. That was the beginning and end of my physical alterations ... no tattoos, no further piercings, no cement in my backside!

I saw a documentary of this once. Binding, its horrible!

As far as my "physical mutilations" goes it's 3x ears pierced on both sides and a belly button piercing. I took my belly button piercing out the other day, because i wasn't sure i wanted to keep it anymore, after 5 mins I had to put it back it. I felt "naked" without it :wah:

No tattoos just yet, cant decide on something drawn on my body for the rest of my life.

I must say my brother (who i don't speak to very often) showed me his new tattoo the other day: a few words from our grandad that he wrote in my brothers memory book, and my grandads signature was done in his own handwriting.. it was done very well..

and uhum no cement in my backside either! :wah:
tabby

Bound by Tradition

Post by tabby »

Chloe_88;1376960 wrote: As far as my "physical mutilations" goes it's 3x ears pierced on both sides and a belly button piercing. I took my belly button piercing out the other day, because i wasn't sure i wanted to keep it anymore, after 5 mins I had to put it back it. I felt "naked" without it :wah:

I think a belly button piercing can be very sexy but I'm too chicken to even consider it!

The term "physical mutilations" does seem a bit strong for piercings & tattoos especially compared to breaking the bones in a little girl's foot but I suppose that's what they are although to a lesser degree.

Bryn Mawr

Bound by Tradition

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Ahso!;1376910 wrote: Circumcision.

Female certainly - male circumcision is hardly in the same league.

Return to “History”