Until the Well Runs Dry

tabby

Until the Well Runs Dry

Post by tabby »

Confronting the story of bones discarded in an old MCV well | Richmond Times-Dispatch

Interesting story! What a gruesome business and I find it difficult to imagine burying a family member then living in fear and dread of their being "resurrected" by a cadaver hunter. Times have changed and medical science no longer has to rely on this form of "supply & demand" but it wouldn't surprise me if there are still actual grave robbers searching for jewelry if nothing else. Ewwww!! :-3
Snooz

Until the Well Runs Dry

Post by Snooz »

Wow.

While I can understand medical science needing bodies to train students back then, I had no idea they focused so intently on Black cadavers.

Loved the accents, by the way.
tabby

Until the Well Runs Dry

Post by tabby »

lol ... I had to think a second about your comment on the accents ... honestly, my first reaction was "What accents?" ... I momentarily forgot that not everyone "tawwwks" like we do here! :yh_wink

It would have been only a generation or two after the end of slavery and primarily using black cadavers was right in step with the social mores and prejudices in its day and time. Freedom from slavery not withstanding, they were still considered subhuman. The article didn't state this but I'm certain the "poor" whites were targeted as well.

Return to “History”