Finding your roots

Raven

Finding your roots

Post by Raven »

My mother has been researching the family tree, and the most amazing facts have been uncovered! Paperwork to prove it has been obtained. My family comes from Deal, Kent. (at least part of 'em.) Indentured from Bristol to the colony of Virginia in the 1600's. I have one Hezekia Higgs who fought in the revolutionary war and was at Valley Forge. My mother and I can join Daughters of the Revolution. And one incredible fact was that we owned slaves. I was incredibly troubled by that. Still am in fact.

I have Irish genes as well. Mom is still working on that branch of the family tree, along with the norman connection. Cool.:-2
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
ZAP

Finding your roots

Post by ZAP »

Raven;1309442 wrote: My mother has been researching the family tree, and the most amazing facts have been uncovered! Paperwork to prove it has been obtained. My family comes from Deal, Kent. (at least part of 'em.) Indentured from Bristol to the colony of Virginia in the 1600's. I have one Hezekia Higgs who fought in the revolutionary war and was at Valley Forge. My mother and I can join Daughters of the Revolution. And one incredible fact was that we owned slaves. I was incredibly troubled by that. Still am in fact.

I have Irish genes as well. Mom is still working on that branch of the family tree, along with the norman connection. Cool.:-2

Why should you be troubled? There were good people who owned slaves.

Some of my ancestors had indentured servants too, but another one was on the Trail of Tears. One fought for the North in the Civil War, one for the South. Another at the Alamo.
Raven

Finding your roots

Post by Raven »

Zapata;1309444 wrote: Why should you be troubled? There were good people who owned slaves.

Some of my ancestors had indentured servants too, but another one was on the Trail of Tears. One fought for the North in the Civil War, one for the South. Another at the Alamo.
I just find it incredibly sad. But the highlights are the rogues and adventurers coming to light! I had a great aunt who was a madam of her own house of ill repute! Fantastic!:-6
beowulf

Finding your roots

Post by beowulf »

searching for your history can be great.....i love watching 'who do you think you are?' on the telly

i can only go back as far as my great grand father on my mums side

he was a sergeant major in the army and was sent to china just after the Boxer Rebellion to keep order.....back then they took wives and kids if you were over a certain rank.....my grand mother was born in Malta when the ship docked there en route.....she spent the first 8 years of her life in china.....when she was 20 she married a sergeant in her fathers regiment........he fought in France in WW1
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

ZAP

Finding your roots

Post by ZAP »

beowulf;1309459 wrote: searching for your history can be great.....i love watching 'who do you think you are?' on the telly

he was a sergeant major in the army and was sent to china just after the Boxer Rebellion to keep order.....back then they took wives and kids if you were over a certain rank.....my grand mother was born in Malta when the ship docked there en route.....she spent the first 8 years of her life in china.....when she was 20 she married a sergeant in her fathers regiment........he fought in France in WW1

She must have had some wonderful stories to tell you.
Raven

Finding your roots

Post by Raven »

beowulf;1309459 wrote: searching for your history can be great.....i love watching 'who do you think you are?' on the telly

That is sooooo romantic!! Yeah I watch that one as well! I was amazed when Mom got us back to Deal. I have always had a thing about Kent. I go to a Kent university. Canterbury actually. Bet 'ol Hezekia is rollin in his grave tho!! I can hear it now. "I cant believe my g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandaughter is back there! AND shes a royalist!" roll roll roll:yh_rotfl
Snowfire

Finding your roots

Post by Snowfire »

Raven;1309465 wrote: That is sooooo romantic!! Yeah I watch that one as well! I was amazed when Mom got us back to Deal. I have always had a thing about Kent. I go to a Kent university. Canterbury actually. Bet 'ol Hezekia is rollin in his grave tho!! I can hear it now. "I cant believe my g-g-g-g-g-g-g-grandaughter is back there! AND shes a royalist!" roll roll roll:yh_rotfl

Well there's a first. Someone from Essex having a thing about Kent :yh_rotfl

Dont get me wrong, I understand completely. A walk through Canterbury cathedral has that affect on people. Even an Athiest like me can understand the enormity of the symbolic home of the Anglican Church. You can smell the history pouring out of its stone columns
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
beowulf

Finding your roots

Post by beowulf »

Zapata;1309464 wrote: She must have had some wonderful stories to tell you.

unfortunatly i never knew my granddad and grandmother died when i was about 9 :(.....my mother still has a cedarwood chest her mother had when she came back from china
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

Raven

Finding your roots

Post by Raven »

Snowfire;1309475 wrote: Well there's a first. Someone from Essex having a thing about Kent :yh_rotfl

Dont get me wrong, I understand completely. A walk through Canterbury cathedral has that affect on people. Even an Athiest like me can understand the enormity of the symbolic home of the Anglican Church. You can smell the history pouring out of its stone columns
I cant wait to go visit Deal. Knowing now, that is where we came from is incredible. Next step is to find the folks that I am related to, who are still there.:-4
Snowfire

Finding your roots

Post by Snowfire »

Raven;1309480 wrote: I cant wait to go visit Deal. Knowing now, that is where we came from is incredible. Next step is to find the folks that I am related to, who are still there.:-4

Wow ! Do you actually know that there are people there who you are related to ? Or is that still part of your ongoing investigation ? Thats quite a journey

Winston Churchill
Bruv

Finding your roots

Post by Bruv »

As an American in the UK you will love Deal, one of the Cinque Ports I believe.

It is an Olde worlde sort of place with quaint streets and lots of history.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Raven

Finding your roots

Post by Raven »

Bruv;1309484 wrote: As an American in the UK you will love Deal, one of the Cinque Ports I believe.

It is an Olde worlde sort of place with quaint streets and lots of history.
LOL! Yep you know it! I'm an anglo-american. Cinque-port like rye and pevensey? I love the olde stuff.
Snowfire

Finding your roots

Post by Snowfire »

Raven;1309494 wrote: LOL! Yep you know it! I'm an anglo-american. Cinque-port like rye and pevensey? I love the olde stuff.

I love Rye. My wife and I go every year for a long weekend or so. Good hotels, good food and a nice part of the country

Winston Churchill
along-for-the-ride

Finding your roots

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Finding your family roots can indeed be a wonderful discovery...and can leave you with a feeling of awe. My sister has traced our family history at Ancestry.com. I have ancestors from Europe. :) In fact, the lead female character portrayed in this move is an ancestor. And the actress who portrayed her is a distant relative.

The Lion in Winter (1968)

Royaltyand talent.......I'm impressed.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Return to “History”