Victorian tough

Raven

Victorian tough

Post by Raven »

Imagine a world 400 years ago where children were used as chimney sweeps. The pay was low, it was a dirty trade and there was little reward for the men who did the job and even less for children.

Medway’s annual Sweeps Festival recreates the joy and laughter enjoyed by the chimney sweeps at their traditional holiday: the one time of the year the sweeps could leave the soot behind and have some fun. The sweeps’ holiday was traditionally held on 1 May each year. Locally, they used to mark the occasion by staging a procession through the streets of Rochester.

Their fun continued with the Jack-in-the-Green ceremony, a seven-foot character that they used to waken at dawn on Blue Bell Hill, Chatham. The Jack-in-the-Green would walk with the chimney sweeps in their parade. When the Climbing Boys’ Act 1868 made it illegal to employ young boys to carry out the trade, the traditional procession gradually began to fade. The final May celebration was held in the early 1900s.

The modern day Rochester Sweeps Festival is a colourful mix of music, dancing and entertainment with more than 60 Morris sides and entertainers celebrating throughout the three-day festival.

The festival was revived in 1981 by local businessman Gordon Newton, a keen historian. He decided it was time to bring it back and over the years he has helped develop the festival into what it is today – an extravaganza of traditional Britain.

Gordon researched the Sweeps’ tradition and organised a small parade, involving local Morris teams. In time, Medway Council took over organisation of the festival but Gordon remained actively involved. Today he is festival producer and plays melodeon for several Morris teams.

*See the album posted by Raven*
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Snowfire

Victorian tough

Post by Snowfire »

The Green Man seems to be a popular symbol throughout the country. We have many pubs here in Kent ( 2 very near where I live ) named The Green Man and seems to represent an expression of forests and leaves and countryside in general. I'm only guessing but maybe a Pagan connotation to it
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Raven

Victorian tough

Post by Raven »

Snowfire;1255403 wrote: The Green Man seems to be a popular symbol throughout the country. We have many pubs here in Kent ( 2 very near where I live ) named The Green Man and seems to represent an expression of forests and leaves and countryside in general. I'm only guessing but maybe a Pagan connotation to it

Who is the Green Man

Oh I LOVE the green man! I have two really good ones in my house! Voodoo and I have actually seen a real one. Oak tree in N.Wales. If I find the pic I will post it for you.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~

Return to “History”