Were you affected by IRA bombings?

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Were you or anyone you knew involved in any of the bombing by the IRA on British mainland?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/date ... 531583.stm
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Yes i have been 'directly' affected by the bombings and not some cousin twice removed or friend of my sisters aunt.

I'd prefer not to talk about it but have absolutely no objection to your thread :-6
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Friend of friend lost a foot in Hyde Park, moved on from a pub after a warning that came to nothing, gran asked for "contributions" by masked gunmen. No-one killed, thank heavens.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
dubs

Post by dubs »

I was in Brum in 74, when the pubs were bombed. Luckily nowhere near, but I heard them. And two soldiers were shot by an IRA gunman at a railway station a couple of miles from me.

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Or how about those killed by the UDF, or unarmed civilians shot dead by British Soldiers?

There are two sides to every war, let’s just thank God that it is all in the past.
gmc

Post by gmc »

mikeinie;1241860 wrote: Or how about those killed by the UDF, or unarmed civilians shot dead by British Soldiers?

There are two sides to every war, let’s just thank God that it is all in the past.

Not to mention all the kneecapping and beatings that went on as well. There are thugs on both sides of the sectarian divide that would start it up again. Best thing to do with sectarianism is laugh at it.

YouTube - Billy Connolly - Football Violence

Is all that religious conflict so much in the past? remember the reaction to Tony Blair converting to Catholicism and if he'd done it while prime minister what then?
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

gmc;1241868 wrote: Not to mention all the kneecapping and beatings that went on as well. There are thugs on both sides of the sectarian divide that would start it up again. Best thing to do with sectarianism is laugh at it.

YouTube - Billy Connolly - Football Violence

Is all that religious conflict so much in the past? remember the reaction to Tony Blair converting to Catholicism and if he'd done it while prime minister what then?

The tree may be cut, but the roots are deep…

let's hope it never grows back
gmc

Post by gmc »

mikeinie;1241870 wrote: The tree may be cut, but the roots are deep…

let's hope it never grows back

Good analogy. I have a fairly hostile attitude to religion, leaving aside the belief or non belief in god it's due to the sheer mind numbing shock when you hear someone you know is intelligent coming out with what is nowadays no more than mindless hatred. Intellectually I can understand the origins of it and looking back when you ask yourself which side would you have stood on at the time is not always as easy to answer as you might think from a 21st century perspective. Yet to many religion is important enough they would suck us all in to conflict over and over again.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

gmc;1241874 wrote: Good analogy. I have a fairly hostile attitude to religion, leaving aside the belief or non belief in god it's due to the sheer mind numbing shock when you hear someone you know is intelligent coming out with what is nowadays no more than mindless hatred. Intellectually I can understand the origins of it and looking back when you ask yourself which side would you have stood on at the time is not always as easy to answer as you might think from a 21st century perspective. Yet to many religion is important enough they would suck us all in to conflict over and over again.

In this case however, it is (or was) not so much about differences in religion as it was about the struggle for home rule.
abbey

Post by abbey »

oscar;1241561 wrote: Were you or anyone you knew involved in any of the bombing by the IRA on British mainland?

BBC ON THIS DAY | 12 | 1984: Tory Cabinet in Brighton bomb blast
My friend lost her business when Manchester was bombed by the IRA, she fought so long for compensation she had to file for bankruptcy.

Thankfully She escaped injury,

On the upside an architect friend designed the Urbis exhibition centre when the area was re-designed,

it was like the phoenix rising from the ashes. :-6
gmc

Post by gmc »

mikeinie;1241878 wrote: In this case however, it is (or was) not so much about differences in religion as it was about the struggle for home rule.

Or reclaiming independence? In part it was also about who should rule a king by divine right or the people albeit through a monarch whose powers were curbed. A despotic catholic king using the irish and later the highlanders irish or a foreign one what a choice to have to make.

I think I would have been a leveller in the civil war but where does that put you later on?
Oscar Namechange

buttercup;1241617 wrote: Yes i have been 'directly' affected by the bombings and not some cousin twice removed or friend of my sisters aunt.

I'd prefer not to talk about it but have absolutely no objection to your thread :-6
Very sorry to hear that Cupcake :-4
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

I lived a few miles away when the Brighton bomb went off. My house shook and I remember the strangest of booms with the after shock boom. We ran out into the road and pretty much guessed it was the IRA as it was the Conservative Party conference and Margaret Thatcher and the Cabinet were staying in Brighton at the Grand Hotel.

My first husband was already out on another shout and I heard later that he had been summoned down to The Grand. We didn't have mobile phones in those days so I didn't know what was going on with him. He was an expert in chemical and electrical fires and one of the first on the scene.

We all got in our cars and raced down there but couldn't get further than the Prommenade due to emergency services. It was pitch black but I remember the screaming, the smoke and a horrible smell that seemed to linger for days. People were shouting that Thatcher was dead but all I could think and worry about was secondry bombs going off once the emergency services had gone in.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Ditto BC's reply for myself. Not to the point where I, obviously, cannot reply, but there are physical and mental scars that still exist.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Oscar Namechange

G-man;1242000 wrote: Ditto BC's reply for myself. Not to the point where I, obviously, cannot reply, but there are physical and mental scars that still exist.
I'm sorry to hear that. Many Many were affected but some assume that in time we forget. We certainly don't. The Hyde park bomb was particually distressing for me for my own reasons.

Return to “History”