What do you consider as the end of Rome?

joona

Post by joona »

Here is an explanation for the various choices:

476: The last emperor of the Western Roman Empire (Romulus Augustulus) is deposed.

480: The fall of Dalmatia and Julius Nepos (he had a claim for the throne of the Western Empire, and tried to overthrow Odoacer).

1453: The fall of Constantinople, the capital of the Eastern Roman Empire/Byzantium.

1806: The Holy Roman Empire is dissolved, having supposedly been a successor to the Eastern Empire.

1917: The tsarist Russia falls, having supposedly been a successor of Rome.

1922: The Ottoman Empire dissolves, having supposedly been a successor to the Eastern Empire.

Still exists: It continues to exist in the form of the Catholic Church/Vatican.

Other: Please tell the rest of us too!

if I had to choose one, it would be 1453.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

As a historian, I went with 476 AD.

480: The fall of Dalmatia and Julius Nepos (he had a claim for the throne of the Western Empire, and tried to overthrow Odoacer). He tried, didn't work. The city itself was in ruins.

1453: The fall of Constantinople, the capital of the Eastern Roman Empire/Byzantium.A different empire when it was divided by Diocletian.

1806: The Holy Roman Empire is dissolved, having supposedly been a successor to the Eastern Empire.Don't think so, no remnants of the original Rome.

1917: The tsarist Russia falls, having supposedly been a successor of Rome.Ah, empires always want to use that tag, wasn't evident in Russian history.

1922: The Ottoman Empire dissolves, having supposedly been a successor to the Eastern Empire.Domino effect of using the title Rome, with no semblance of the original.

Still exists: It continues to exist in the form of the Catholic Church/Vatican.Religious viewpoint, not a historical perspective.
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

joona;1238144 wrote: Here is an explanation for the various choices:

476: The last emperor of the Western Roman Empire (Romulus Augustulus) is deposed.

480: The fall of Dalmatia and Julius Nepos (he had a claim for the throne of the Western Empire, and tried to overthrow Odoacer).

1453: The fall of Constantinople, the capital of the Eastern Roman Empire/Byzantium.

1806: The Holy Roman Empire is dissolved, having supposedly been a successor to the Eastern Empire.

1917: The tsarist Russia falls, having supposedly been a successor of Rome.

1922: The Ottoman Empire dissolves, having supposedly been a successor to the Eastern Empire.

Still exists: It continues to exist in the form of the Catholic Church/Vatican.

Other: Please tell the rest of us too!

if I had to choose one, it would be 1453.

good question i feel that when they split the empire, it weaked the govening parties and thats when the visigoths(i think)took thier toll,how ever i believe vatican city,is the last most powerful remanent.
:driving:lookout smart guy talkin:guitarist:yh_devil:yh_ghost:
Silverplanter

Post by Silverplanter »

I am a 476'er
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

476. The rest just want the reflected glory and authority. I can see the case for 1453 but, well, Rome is Rome and Constantinople isn't.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

The city limits.:D
joey2000

Post by joey2000 »

Same here. The later claims are a joke.

Return to “History”