Where Were You On July 7th London Bombings

gaiusjulii

Post by gaiusjulii »

I read the replies on where on 9/11 and I was moved by them. Now I am interested in something a little closer to home and my heart. Does any one have any stories of that day. Heres mine:

I had just arrived at work and they were saying a massive power surge had happened on the tube, But the moment I heard it my heart told me something more serious was happening, Then the news came out that they were evacuating the entire underground System. I knew then that something terrible was happening.

I was lucky enough to get one of the first trains out Charing Cross and at London Bridge I could see only people the platforms were absolutely packed to the hilt. I then managed to get a connecting service to were I was living at the time. I saw a young paramedic standing on the train she looked so Exhausted I actually had a go at guy when he refused to give up his seat, I was disgusted. Out of all the heroics i heard of that day, they guy not giving up his seat for that paramedic was what stuck in my head.

I would be interested to hear stories or opinions of anyone else on the 7/7 bombings.
Turn That Frown Upside Down
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Nothing much to tell really. I remember being at home and just watching tv up-dates all day for news.

We rang round family in London to make sure they were all safe and that was it.

I shall not forget the images or the poor people though.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello G and welcome to the garden:-6

You seem familiar.....:)

I remember the day very well:mad:. I was on holidays and sleeping late. When I awoke, my radio was on with newscasters trying to make sense of these horrific bombings. No one really knew what was happening and my family spent the whole day glued to the TV trying to understand this tragedy.

Needless to say, we were so upset, angry and disgusted. We felt dumbfounded as how these monsters get away with these bombings. Guess many of us are asleep at the wheel:(

We were saddened by the loss of people's lives and those who were injured. We spent the day calling our rellys in Ireland as one of my very close cousins lived in London at the time and others had business dealings in London and travelled there quite often.

I'm still so angry about these tragedies. I'm always on alert for unusual behavior of people around me. It's so sad that we have to live like this:mad:
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

Out shopping with my daughter here in Holland.

My mobile went off and I was surprised to hear my eldest son calling from Dublin. At the time my OH was working in central London.

My son had heard the news on TV and tried to phone his father but he couldnt get through, so in panic phoned me to ask if I knew and if I had heard from OH.

Of course I knew nothing and couldnt get through to OH phone it was a long day waiting for news and just hoping he was OK.

We finally got a call from him about 4pm saying he was ok, he had heard about the bombs and had walked back from London Bridge to Putney before stopping at my mums for a rest.
gaiusjulii

Post by gaiusjulii »

Kathy Ellen;1179778 wrote: Hello G and welcome to the garden:-6

You seem familiar.....:)

Thanks Kathy. familiar? and thank you all for your replies so far
Turn That Frown Upside Down
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gaiusjulii;1179760 wrote: I read the replies on where on 9/11 and I was moved by them. Now I am interested in something a little closer to home and my heart. Does any one have any stories of that day. Heres mine:

I had just arrived at work and they were saying a massive power surge had happened on the tube, But the moment I heard it my heart told me something more serious was happening, Then the news came out that they were evacuating the entire underground System. I knew then that something terrible was happening.

I was lucky enough to get one of the first trains out Charing Cross and at London Bridge I could see only people the platforms were absolutely packed to the hilt. I then managed to get a connecting service to were I was living at the time. I saw a young paramedic standing on the train she looked so Exhausted I actually had a go at guy when he refused to give up his seat, I was disgusted. Out of all the heroics i heard of that day, they guy not giving up his seat for that paramedic was what stuck in my head.

I would be interested to hear stories or opinions of anyone else on the 7/7 bombings.

I work in Aldgate, just round the corner from the station. We heard the trouble start but the first we knew of the details was when one of the managers walked in looking shaken. She'd been climbing the steps out of the station when the bomb went off in the train behind hers.

We did not have confirmation that the last of our colleagues was safe until two in the afternoon - as you can imagine, not much work was done that day as we tried to find out what was going on.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

gaiusjulii;1179760 wrote: I read the replies on where on 9/11 and I was moved by them. Now I am interested in something a little closer to home and my heart. Does any one have any stories of that day. Heres mine:

I hear you loud & clear...it was very shocking for us too. I remember the London Tube bombings...what can I say? I think everyone was in major shock on those days. As for the arsehold not giving up his seat for one of your heroes is pathetic...selfish bastard...I'm sure if he has a conscience..he remembers it too and feels guilty as he should. I remember peeps in the US just giving loads of stuff to the victim's families, etc. We gave galore...to this day I still donate loads of clothing to Purple Heart or the Salvation Army..the legit ones...I know where its going....they are thrift stores in this country...but they serve the same purpose.
welshdr

Post by welshdr »

I remember this day so well...

I was home from university at the time visiting my parents. On that day I had taken a shopping trip to Swansea at the time, and found it odd that there were armed police on every platform and every train to Cardiff Central had been cancelled.

I had just bought a bottle of diet coke from a WHSmith in a large shopping centre, the receipt read 12:31 and thats when I got the phonecall telling me that the transport network in London had been bombed. I remember just a sense of wanting to go to London right away, having done emergency training for this type of thing, I just wanted to be able to help in someway.

It wasn't until several hours later that I realised I still had that same receipt clutched in my hand, wandering around the shopping centre unable to really focus on anything.

To this day, the small details of that day, the receipt etc are all still so clear. What's even more strange, I was out on a nightout recently and the same song was played as the one playing at the shopping centre when I got the phonecall. The power of the memory evoked was completely surprising.

Its these type of memories that really bond people together in solidarity because the memories are so powerful. It was, and still is, a tragic loss, but the response by British people allowed for it to be a complete loss to those who carried out the attacks.
"We shape the things we build, thereafter they shape us..."
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Good post Welshdr. Quite an introduction. We were discussing this over dinner the other night and the great tragedies of the past 50 years. It has become the modern "Where were you when President Kennedy was assassinated " ? Every body of a certain age will allways remember those times. 9/11, July 7th, Kennedy assassination, Elvis and Lennon
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
welshdr

Post by welshdr »

Absolutely, just like Diana etc.

Yes, that was my first post, Ironically, I'm currently doing a Public Health elective and was googling for info on 7/7 and this came up. Looks like an interesting place, so I thought I might sign up and contribute.
"We shape the things we build, thereafter they shape us..."
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

welshdr;1193891 wrote: Absolutely, just like Diana etc.

Yes, that was my first post, Ironically, I'm currently doing a Public Health elective and was googling for info on 7/7 and this came up. Looks like an interesting place, so I thought I might sign up and contribute.

I hope you stay. There's much here for you to feast on. Many members from all walks of life, to keep you amused/informed/infuriated. Its a little quiet today
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill

Return to “History”