Kool Aid and Jonestown-30 years later

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Dark clouds tumbled overhead on that afternoon 30 years ago, in the last hours of the congressman's mission deep in the jungle of Guyana.

With a small entourage, Rep. Leo Ryan had come to investigate the remote agricultural settlement built by a California-based church. But while he was there, more than a dozen people had stepped forward: We want to return to the United States, they said fearfully.

Suddenly a powerful wind tore through the central pavilion, riffling pages of my notebook, and the skies dumped torrents that bowed plantain fronds. People scrambled for cover as I interviewed the founder of Peoples Temple.

30 years after, the legacy of Jonestown - Americas

Ghads, I remember this event, and thought how could something like this have happened!
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Soladad O'Brien is doing a special tonight on "Jonetowns" CNN 8pm est.

I rememer this well also. :(
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

One of the most chilling tragedies in recent history. I remember as well. Still horrifies me.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
TheNewDG

Post by TheNewDG »

I was born in 77 but my mother remembers it well. She told me all about it.
abbey

Post by abbey »

How awfully sad. :(
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

There is a British documentary series, called "Storyville" they did a feature-length episode about the events in Jonestown, I watched it and I have to say it was one of the most disturbing documentaries I have ever seen, the final hours of that cult was real horror, and the stories that are recounted are so tragic as to be beyond words really. If you are interested in cults and what can happen you should watch this show, its not pleasant, but its brilliantly made.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

30 years ago already, wow. I was a kid, but I remember the story and seeing pictures of the bodies. Plus, Kool Aid was a really in drink at the time, so it was freaking hearing all those people died from drinking Kool Aid... I was just a kid.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I watched a documentary on the history channel about it. It hurt so much to watch the parents willing take their kids up there and have them poisoned.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I remember watching it reported on the news at my grandmothers house (the one that just passed away) we all had tears in our eyes and just couldn't believe that what they were reporting could be true. I was 11 years old...what an impact it had on me. I didn't understand religion as it was....that definately scared me!

So very sad.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

If you get a chance, watch the movie, "Guyana Tragedy"(1980) with Powers Boothe as Jim Jones.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

30 years...wow

thats almost as scary as Jonestown itself
I AM AWESOME MAN
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

I was 27 when that happened. I cried for the sake of the children. They had no other choice. Poor babes :(
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

David Koresh did exactly the same thing, and his church is still going strong. They interviewed one of his female followers and to this day she doesn't mind that her husband and children are dead, because she'll see them again one day . What gets me about this sodden woman is that she's fine with her children being terrified before they died. she didn't mind that they suffered being burned alive. Makes me just want to slap her around!!!!

People huh?:-3

Return to “History”