Let's talk Civil, shall we?

spot

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;981762 wrote: I'm wondering if slaves were actually considered US citizens at the time...

The Civil Rights Act of 1866 gave them citizenship, they'd not had it until then. The 14th Amendment to the Constitution stopped the Supreme Court from overturning the Act and made it harder for future generations to turn the clock back, that was 1868.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;981765 wrote: The Civil Rights Act of 1866 gave them citizenship, they'd not had it until then. The 14th Amendment to the Constitution stopped the Supreme Court from overturning the Act and made it harder for future generations to turn the clock back, that was 1868.

Proof the North had turned a blind eye at the time.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;981767 wrote: Proof the North had turned a blind eye at the time.

I shouldn't say the North wholeheartedly...The United States Federal government at the time...

Return to “History”