South Korea's Truth and Reconciliation Commission

spot

Post by spot »

Do people know that South Korea currently has a Truth and Reconciliation Commission investigating an estimated 100,000 mass organized police and military shootings of "civilian leftist sympathisers" during the Korean War?

http://observers.france24.com/en/conten ... rmy-photos discusses the recent declassification by the US government of "images of thought-to-be communist sympathisers being massacred by South Korean authorities between 1950 and 1951".

One of fifteen members of the commission, Dong-Choon Kim, very delicately expresses himself when he says "As for America's role in the massacres, it's quite a sensitive issue. We are trying to investigate it".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 567936.stm discusses the story too.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

We can only certify the existence of around 50 graves now, seven of which were uncovered last year.

It is thought that this cold tomb contains the bodies of up to 3,000 people who were executed and then thrown into a vertical mine shaft.

[...]

Last year, they started digging. Just a handful of 160 suspected mass-grave sites have been uncovered so far.

Is a far cry from "100,000 mass organized police and military shootings of "civilian leftist sympathisers" during the Korean War"...

None the less I'll be interested in seeing what the Truth and Reconciliation Commission comes up with...I'd personally lock all those involved up for the remainder of their lives...

"As for America's role in the massacres, it's quite a sensitive issue. We are trying to investigate it" I wouldn't think for a minute that anyone within the American government at the time would have committed those atrocities but I personal wouldn't assume that no one within the American government hadn't kept their mouth shut...

As is with any war "war" is not defined by a lack of sadness...My thoughts go out to the families of any victim of a killing that hadn't been initiated by an act of defense.
spot

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;976317 wrote: "As for America's role in the massacres, it's quite a sensitive issue. We are trying to investigate it" I wouldn't think for a minute that anyone within the American government at the time would have committed those atrocities but I personal wouldn't assume that no one within the American government hadn't kept their mouth shut...
When the CIA helped the Ba'athists to power in Iraq in 1968 they handed over a list of 5,000 Communist Party members to be rounded up and killed. Nobody's suggesting these people pull mass triggers themselves but a lot of people die when they say the word.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

The story's finally reaching US newspapers.Government investigators digging into the grim hidden history of mass political executions in South Korea have confirmed that dozens of children were among many thousands shot by their own government early in the Korean War. Declassified records show U.S. officers were present at one killing field and that at least one U.S. officer sanctioned another mass political execution if prisoners otherwise would be freed by the North Koreans.

[...] In late 1950 and early 1951, in Namyangju, 16 miles northeast of Seoul, the commission estimates that police and a local militia slaughtered more than 460 people, including at least 23 children under the age of 10. Survivor Kim Jong-chol, 71, said his father, a South Korean border guard, had been forced to work for the conquering northerners, and then was executed by the southerners as a collaborator. More than a dozen relatives were also killed, including Kim's grandparents and 7-year-old sister, he said. "Young children or whatever were all killed en masse," Kim told The Associated Press. "What did the family members do wrong? Why did they kill the family members?"

[...] once-secret files show that a U.S. Army lieutenant colonel reported giving approval to the killing of 3,500 political prisoners by a South Korean army unit he was advising in Busan, if the North Koreans approached that southern port city, formerly spelled Pusan. The files show the U.S. command was aware in other ways as well of the organized bloodbaths.

Children 'executed' in 1950 South Korean killings - washingtonpost.com

It's encouraging that US Intelligence archives do seem prepared to release material like this once fifty years have passed. There's a lot about this decade that I'm interested to eventually discover. Maybe they could reduce the delay to just forty years?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Well, I project what's asked is if one can justify the means of individual incidents within this sad event?...

I personally won't make a leap resembling the likes of this logic. Far too much information not being given for me to personally give my opinion so I'll leave this mess up to those to whom knew about the circumstances that had arisen during the time of June 25, 1950 to present!

I quite simply need more information before I can give you what I feel would be 100% justification to all acts having been committed in Korea from the time of June 25, 1950 to present in the same I'd completely and wholeheartedly condemn those to whom committed unjustifiable atrocities between the time of June 25, 1950 to present to the point of ill refute!

I don't see any action taking place in court though.

I just don't see it!
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

K.Snyder;1091821 wrote: Well, I project what's asked is if one can justify the means of individual incidents within this sad event?...

I personally won't make a leap resembling the likes of this logic. Far too much information not being given for me to personally give my opinion so I'll leave this mess up to those to whom knew about the circumstances that had arisen during the time of June 25, 1950 to present!

I quite simply need more information before I can give you what I feel would be 100% justification to all acts having been committed in Korea from the time of June 25, 1950 to present in the same I'd completely and wholeheartedly condemn those to whom committed unjustifiable atrocities between the time of June 25, 1950 to present to the point of ill refute!

I don't see any action taking place in court though.

I just don't see it!

The same as i'm guessing that if Bush invaded Iraq illegally, he will never be brought to account.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

oscar;1091828 wrote: The same as i'm guessing that if Bush invaded Iraq illegally, he will never be brought to account.

If good comes of Iraq then no one would give one damn what wouldn't have happened to Bush!

I personally feel invading Iraq in the way as well as time Iraq had been invaded was wrong! What's left is those that weigh Saddam Hussein continuing his rule in Iraq to be a worthy sacrifice to the effects of invading Iraq illegally from which I would only agree upon the divinity of the outcome in Iraq proving to be for the worse!

At the same time if countries didn't agree with Bush they'd not have readily brought their jacks and ball along happy to play! (And I'm not yelling at you I'm yelling at THEM!!)...
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

K.Snyder;1091839 wrote: If good comes of Iraq then no one would give one damn what wouldn't have happened to Bush!

I personally feel invading Iraq in the way as well as time Iraq had been invaded was wrong! What's left is those that weigh Saddam Hussein continuing his rule in Iraq to be a worthy sacrifice to the effects of invading Iraq illegally from which I would only agree upon the divinity of the outcome in Iraq proving to be for the worse!

At the same time if countries didn't agree with Bush they'd not have readily brought their jacks and ball along happy to play! (And I'm not yelling at you I'm yelling at THEM!!)...

Our former prime Minister was equally as guilty as Bush for invading Iraq based on the lie that they had wmd's.

It will alway's be difficult to weigh up the pro's and con's of weather life would have been better with or without Sadam and i also take into account that his two barbaric sons would have been likely to suceed him.

I certainly believe that Iraq is far more damaged now than it was before they went in and i can't even imagine the mess they are leaving behind when our troops withdraw.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “History”