Leica Cameras Saved Jews- did you know this?

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I got this in my email today and started looking into it. I had never heard of this and I can't be the only one. I'll be getting the book.

*Subject:* Fascinating story: Leica Freedom Train

*The Leica is the pioneer 35mm camera. It is a German product

-precise, minimalist, and utterly efficient. Behind its worldwide acceptance as a creative tool was a family-owned, socially oriented firm that, during the Nazi era, acted with uncommon grace, generosity and modesty.

E. Leitz Inc., designer and manufacturer of Germany's most famous photographic product, saved its Jews.

And Ernst Leitz II, the steely eyed Protestant patriarch who headed the closely held firm as the Holocaust loomed across Europe, acted in such a way as to earn the title, "the photography industry's Schindler."

The 'Leica Freedom Train' > > As soon as Adolf Hitler was named chancellor of Germany in 1933, Ernst Leitz II began receiving frantic calls from Jewish associates, asking for his help in getting them and their families out of the country.

As Christians, Leitz and his family were immune to Nazi Germany's Nuremberg laws, which restricted the movement of Jews and limited their professional activities.

To help his Jewish workers and colleagues, Leitz quietly established what has become known among historians of the Holocaust as "the Leica Freedom Train," a covert means of allowing Jews to leave Germany in the guise of Leitz employees being assigned overseas.

Employees, retailers, family members, even friends of family members were "assigned" to Leitz sales offices in France, Britain, Hong Kong and the United States.

Leitz's activities intensified after the Kristallnacht of November

1938, during which synagogues and Jewish shops were burned across Germany.

Before long, German "employees" were disembarking from the ocean liner Bremen at a New York pier and making their way to the Manhattan office of Leitz Inc., where executives quickly found them jobs in the photographic industry.*

*Each new arrival had around his or her neck the symbol of freedom -

a new Leica.

The refugees were paid a stipend until they could find work. Out of this migration came designers, repair technicians, salespeople, marketers and writers for the photographic press.

Keeping the story quiet

The "Leica Free dom Train" was at its height in 1938 and early 1939, delivering groups of refugees to New York every few weeks. Then, with the invasion of Poland on Sept. 1, 1939, Germany closed its borders.

By that time, hundreds of endangered Jews had escaped to America, thanks to the Leitzes' efforts.

How did Ernst Leitz II and his staff get away with it?

Leitz Inc. was an internationally recognized brand that reflected credit on the newly resurgent Reich. The company produced range-finders and other optical systems for the German military.

Also, the Nazi government desperately needed hard currency from abroad, and Leitz's single biggest market for optical goods was the United States.

Even so, members of the Leitz family and firm suffered for their ; good works. A top executive, Alfred Turk, was jailed for working to help Jews and freed only after the payment of a large bribe.

Leitz's daughter, Elsie Kuhn-Leitz, was imprisoned by the Gestapo after she was caught at the border, helping Jewish women cross into Switzerland. She eventually was freed but endured rough treatment in the course of questioning.

She also fell under suspicion when she attempted to improve the living conditions of 700 to 800 Ukrainian slave laborers, all of them women, who had been assigned to work in the plant during the

1940s.

(After the war, Kuhn-Leitz received numerous honors for her humanitarian efforts, among them the Officier d'honneur des Palms Academic from France in 1965 and the Aristide Briand Medal from the European Academ y in the 1970s.)

Why has no one told this story until now?

According to the late Norman Lipton, a freelance writer and editor, the Leitz family wanted no publicity for its heroic efforts. Only after the last member of the Leitz family was dead did the "Leica Freedom Train" finally come to light.*

* It is now the subject of a book, "The Greatest Invention of the Leitz Family: The Leica Freedom Train," by Frank Dabba Smith, a California-born Rabbi currently living in England.

el guapo

Post by el guapo »

Scrat;685591 wrote: And the Holocaust industry rumbles on. I'm so sick and tired of always hearing about the suffering of the Jews under the Nazis. You'd think they were the only victims of the whole conflict. Of course maybe Jews are the only people worth noticing?

I'll step out before my cynicism gets the best of me.

500.000 gypsy also went to the camps
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Come on now Scrat, I came bearing good news. I can't help who gets talked about. Why not dig up some info then about other Holocaust victims and post it for us? I for one, would find it worth reading. I can say that even in my schools, the Jews were the group most reinforced as Holocaust victims. I don't know why this is.
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

bit long but good read

PORRAJMOS - THE GYPSY HOLOCAUST

Introduction

The Romany name for Gypsy Holocaust is Porrajmos. It means the Great Devouring

Draconian measures against Gypsies had started in Germany long before the twentieth century. There were some 148 to deal with Gypsies between 1416 and 1774. Gypsy hunts were common sport and huntsmen would return displaying their trophies of severed heads. In 1835 a Rheinish aristocrat listed amongst his trophies “A Gypsy woman and her suckling babe”.

Events preceding the Holocaust

Long before the war there were measures in place to identify Gypsies and to curtail their freedom.

1890’S, in Swabia: a conference called “The Gypsy Filth” was held and in 1899, Munich: the “Central Office for Fighting the Gypsy Nuisance” created.

1905: Alfred Dillman identified more than 3,500 Gypsies from all over Europe in his book “The Gypsy Book” to help police.

1906, Prussia: there was a directive to combat “the Gypsy Nuisance” including bi-lateral agreements with Austria, Hungary, Belgium, Denmark, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Russia and Switzerland.

1909: the Swiss Department of Justice began a Register of Gypsies.

1909 Hungary: suggestion that Gypsies should be branded for identification.

1912 France: all Gypsies over 6 years old were made to carry identity cards. 8,000 Gypsies were processed.

1919-1921 Germany: Gypsy camps and nomadism were outlawed. Gypsies were banned from holiday resorts and spas and were ordered to return trading licences.

1922 Germany: All Gypsies over 14 had to carry identity cards with photographs and fingerprints. All foreign Gypsies were banned. They were refused trade licences and social gatherings were forbidden.

1927 November Prussia: there were armed raids on Gypsy communities to enforce registration.

1933: the Nazi party were voted into power and inherited anti-Gypsy laws that had been in force since the Middle Ages.

The Racial Hygiene and Criminal Biology Research Unit

In June 1935 intermarriage between Aryan and non-Aryan people was forbidden. The main Nazi institution to deal with Gypsies, The Racial Hygiene and Criminal Biology Research Unit, was first established. Robert Ritter was in charge of this unit, the express purpose of which was to determine whether Gypsies and Blacks were human or sub-human.

“Flying working groups” started tracking every Gypsy in institutions, prisons, caravans and sites. Once found they were tested in Ritter’s centre. The law meant that if two of a person’s eight grandparents were even part-Gypsy, that person had too much Gypsy ancestry.

It was planned to keep a number of families in a compound for future anthropologists to be able to study.

Later in a progress report in 1940 Ritter stated:

“… we have been able to establish that more than 90% of so-called native Gypsies are of mixed blood…Further results of our investigations have allowed us to characterise the Gypsies as being a people of entirely primitive ethnological origins, whose mental backwardness makes them incapable of real social adaptation….The Gypsy question can only be solved when the main body of a social and good-for-nothing Gypsy individuals of mixed blood is collected together in large camps and kept working there, and when the further breeding of this population of mixed blood is stopped once and for all”.

Deportation to the concentration camps.

From 1933 many Gypsies were sent to concentration camps where they were forced to do penal labour and where some underwent sterilisation.

“We were sitting having our coffee when they came. “Get ready you’re coming with us.” We were allowed a small bundle of our belongings, the rest we had to leave behind.

We were taken to huge halls on the Rhine. There we had to put out our clothes in baskets. The worst that can happen to a Gypsy is to be seen naked in front of women and children. We cowered together in a heap, so did the women. They cried and so did the men.

Real fear started in the trains and we were herded like animals. We travelled for three to four days, suddenly the train stopped and all we saw were SS soldiers. We had to build our own camp and when finished we moved on, others came and so it continued for the next five years.

The Concentration Camps

“In Birkenau, a big ditch was dug out and sprinkled with petrol. It was burning night and day. They used to line up Gypsies on the edge. They pushed them…the screams and the yells! They burned everyone in there, children, the old…everyone. I ran outside with another Gypsy woman. It was after lock up but I didn’t care any more. I thought a least if they shot me, I would die at one. We stood near the burning ditch and saw how they pushed those people in. It was horrible….No, I just can’t describe what it was like to you. It was the end of the world – a holocaust.

In 1940, 250 Gypsy children in the concentration camp at Buchenwald were used as guinea pigs for testing the Zyclon B cyanide gas crystals, a lethal insecticide which from 1941 onwards was used for mass murders at Auschwitz/Birkenau.

“At Buchenwald then, for the first time, this gas was used for mass murder, and it was for the murder of innocent Gypsy children.”

“It was towards the end of the war. They knew the Russians were near. Then Mengele started killing the children. They ordered a lock-up night and no-one was allowed to go outside… He took each child by the legs and hit then against a pillar.”

When the Russian army reached Auschwitz-Birkenau, some Gypsies had been transferred earlier to other camps but no Gypsies were found alive, there were no survivors.

After the War

Gypsy victims were never compensated for the atrocities committed against them. Gypsies in Germany and what had been the occupied lands were afraid to return to their homes.

The attempted genocide of the entire Gypsy people was forgotten. No-one from the Gypsy community was called to give evidence at the Nuremburg trials and those perpetrators were never brought to trial, (Himmler, Justin, Mengele).

It was not until 1994 that the first international conference on the Gypsy Holocaust took place in Vienna.

“Germany had in 1938 a Gypsy population of 16,275. Of these, 85 per cent, were thrown into concentration camps, and no more then 12 per cent survived.”

(The Wiener Library Bulletin 1950)

“The Nazis killed between a quarter and a third of all Gypsies living in Europe, and as many as 70 per cent in those areas where Nazi control had been established longest.”

(Strom and Parsons 1978)

“… The Gypsies had been murdered (in a proportion) similar to the Jews; about 80% of them in the area of the countries which were occupied by the Nazis.”

(Simon Wiesenthal 1984)

The biggest numerical losses were in Yugoslavia, Romania, Poland, the USSR and Hungary. Estimates of the number of Gypsy victims who dies in Europe during the war range from half a million but it may be even more.
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

That is absolutely heinous. Stunningly heinous. Thank you Jesse for posting it.

I really had no idea which is very upsetting because everyone should know exactly who was slaughtered and tortured during this disgusting period in history.

It mentions reparations, well how do you compensate people for what was done to them and theirs??
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

RedGlitter;685688 wrote: That is absolutely heinous. Stunningly heinous. Thank you Jesse for posting it.

I really had no idea which is very upsetting because everyone should know exactly who was slaughtered and tortured during this disgusting period in history.

It mentions reparations, well how do you compensate people for what was done to them and theirs??

cant but can try and make sure it does not happen again

in Auschwitz the ony thing that admits this took place is a 3inch by 8 inch plaque
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

el guapo;685691 wrote: cant but can try and make sure it does not happen again

in Auschwitz the ony thing that admits this took place is a 3inch by 8 inch plaque

Sheesh.

Have you been there then? If so is it possible to describe it in mere words?

I would like to go there on one hand but I'm not sure why. If I did go, I would feel unclean forever, just having stepped on such evil ground.
valerie

Post by valerie »

I sure wish I had paid more attention in school. A lot of this stuff just

wasn't that interesting to me, and it sure is now. I had never heard of

Oskar Schindler, either.

But maybe schools today are doing a better job of covering this stuff.

I sure hope so.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

valerie;685698 wrote: I sure wish I had paid more attention in school. A lot of this stuff just

wasn't that interesting to me, and it sure is now. I had never heard of

Oskar Schindler, either.

But maybe schools today are doing a better job of covering this stuff.

I sure hope so.

I'll bet Val, that it wasn't that you didn't pay attention, but that they didn't cover it. At least my schools never did. I walked out thinking it was only Jews that suffered. Never heard of Schindler either. Of course, it's partly my fault too because I could have gone to the library and read up on it but I wonder how many books there are about this?

I think there's a lot wrong with what schools teach in the way of history, not just about the Holocaust but about a lot of stuff. It seems to be more PC than truthful IMO.
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

RedGlitter;685697 wrote: Sheesh.

I would like to go there on one hand but I'm not sure why. If I did go, I would feel unclean forever, just having stepped on such evil ground.

jimbo.s brother has been there said it was horrible
henrychalder

Post by henrychalder »

RedGlitter;685682 wrote: Come on now Scrat, I came bearing good news. I can't help who gets talked about. Why not dig up some info then about other Holocaust victims and post it for us? I for one, would find it worth reading. I can say that even in my schools, the Jews were the group most reinforced as Holocaust victims. I don't know why this is.

To write about the holocaust in Europe with a controversial viewpoint can land you in prison. To deny parts of the holocaust story as written and upheld by the Jews is a criminal offence as passed by a Jewish home secretary of Britain (Jack Straw). Over the past 100 years there has been an increase of Jews from Eastern Europe, they were glad to accept asylum and comfort here until they have become wealthy but they seem to like to degrade our culture of freedom of speech and wealthy Jewish business men sponsor what ever party that would greatly represent their own culture and greed. So why bother discuss the holocaust? Its a one way argument already!

They are the chosen ones of course
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

henrychalder;685705 wrote: To write about the holocaust in Europe with a controversial viewpoint can land you in prison. To deny parts of the holocaust story as written and upheld by the Jews is a criminal offence as passed by a Jewish home secretary of Britain (Jack Straw). Over the past 100 years there has been an increase of Jews from Eastern Europe, they were glad to accept asylum and comfort here until they have become wealthy but they seem to like to degrade our culture of freedom of speech and wealthy Jewish business men sponsor what ever party that would greatly represent their own culture and greed. So why bother discuss the holocaust? Its a one way argument already!

They are the chosen ones of course

Who is this "our" you speak of?
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

http://www.remember.org/auschwitz/aus.php?id=2

have a look round the camp at auschwitz
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

That's pretty moving. The kilns always strike me the most.
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

henrychalder;685705 wrote: Its a one way argument already!

Sounds like your usual modus operandi.
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

Scrat;685746 wrote:

This came about because the Germans put them there whatever reason and found themselves in a dilemma.

All inmates of Auschwitz were interned there for eventual extermination. That was the purpose of the camp, despite what the Holocaust deniers claim.

It was a basic tenet of Nazi ideology to eliminate all those they deemed as undesirables from society.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Scrat;685746 wrote: There is a lot of stuff coming to light these last few years about the Holocaust, some of it states it did not happen the way it is portrayed.

The problem is if you try to bring it to light you will be risking your freedom for speaking out. It happened to someone (an Austrian?) that tried to debunk the Holocaust as it is portrayed. He is now in prison.

I'm not sure exactly what happened in those camps, I do not believe there were gas chambers that they used to murder people enmass, I do believe that millions of people died in them from disease due to the conditions in them. If you put 500,000 people in a small space with inadequate food, medical and sanitation the people will die like flies. You need to dispose of the bodies thus the crematoria.

Am I wrong?

I'm sure you're not wrong about poor living conditions leading to disease leading to death. The other part I don't know. I am curious about why you believe as you do...is it because the idea of gassing large amounts of people seems too far fetched? For me, considering the hatred professed toward non-Aryans at the time, gassing humans in bulk seems very feasible. I also wonder about those kilns. I have serious doubts that every person stuck in an oven was dead before going in.

This came about because the Germans put them there whatever reason and found themselves in a dilemma. The Allies were bombing the hell out of everything

railroads, warehouses, cities - everything. It got to the point where they could not feed the german people, let alone the people in the camps. They could not let them go either.

When it comes to the Jews in this if you look at the history you will find that they have used the victimology for their own gain. Israel uses it to justify it's occupation of Arab lands, Jewish lawyers still try to get compensation for the "victims" and in some cases have. Israel recently blackmailed the German government into giving them 2 nuclear capable submarines.

At first I was going to ask if this was so wrong (not occupying Arab lands, but the other examples) but then I put a different face on it- what if Native Americans/Indians tried to pull that with whites? Or if blacks tried the same thing? We wouldn't like it at all. So I see the point here.

There were many millions of people died in that war, not just Jews.

I guess the only way to educate people about that is to keep talking. The ones who can anyway. I was not aware that people could be imprisoned for speaking out.
spot

Post by spot »

el guapo;685704 wrote: jimbo.s brother has been there said it was horrible

Jimbo's mate spot has been there too, and it is.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

I have to say having only seen TV footage of concentration camps, in black and white, seeing these photos in color is very eerie. I suppose because it makes the place look current, and almost as if that awful thing could happen again.
henrychalder

Post by henrychalder »

RedGlitter;685707 wrote: Who is this "our" you speak of?

'Our'...meaning, the British people. We fought for our 'freedom of speech'

The British media is over represented by Jews and are the main driving force behind the scenes, such powerful people as Alan Yentob, Michael Grade son of Lew Grade, Charles Saatchi. The list is endless, a lot of them give to Jewish causes and anti Nazi league's, its no wonder the BBC have been criticized for siding with Israel by people who pay the BBC license fee. With Jews behind leaders in Westminster such as Lord Levi and Lord Goldsmith, a Prime Minister who has just been made a Patron of a Jewish charity soley for Jewish land for Jewish people it would seem to me that my country is ruled by a minority of people and we are awash with Holocaust reminders.

The BBC has constantly side lined the ordinary person, killing off the concept of marriage, the family and Christian values. It is a media that although produce some good factual documentaries but of course it has been for the last 30 or so years been run by non Christians who have no real interest in the British people, even advertising positions for soley ethnic people. It is a political news media and yet the ordinary person has to pay a license fee. It is part of the dumbing down of a nation and confusing direction in the country.

With regard to TV and the discussions of factual programs about Jewish issues on the BBC where the discussion threatens to touch upon issues considered "sensitive" to the judaized establishment which controls TV and radio, it is carefully stage-managed so that "dangerous"viewpoints are excluded. This is particularly noticeable where discussion concerns matters of the Jewish State of Israel and its not so very glorious aspects, when relating to doubts concerning the alleged mass-slaughter of Jews during WW II and when some one tries to discuss the power wielded by the Jewish minority.

I can go back to the days when black and white documentaries made about the war on TV and at the end of the program my father would show me who wrote it and the producers of....they were nearly all Jews and for that reason I think the millions Jews put to death in concentration camps should be looked into again as I feel the country has been mislead over the decades.

My country has an occupying force of a minority that rule by miss information just like in Russia who also had its rulers infiltrated by Jews.

For that reason we should not have people who weren't born here in positions of influence or even their sons, they are not of our culture and they fly a different flag but not in public.

The denying of the holocaust becoming a criminal act has only fed Anti-Semites like the BNP, and its no wonder the BNP open their arms to the different types of immigrants from the former Eastern Block, a lot of them tend to lean toward the BNP, it was a law that will haunt those that brought it about.

I cant help getting suspicious as to the motives of us going to war in Iraq when our country was never threatened, who are we fighting for exactly?

Ooh! I got a bit carried away there...please carry on about the holocaust
henrychalder

Post by henrychalder »

Scrat;685746 wrote: There is a lot of stuff coming to light these last few years about the Holocaust, some of it states it did not happen the way it is portrayed.

The problem is if you try to bring it to light you will be risking your freedom for speaking out. It happened to someone (an Austrian?) that tried to debunk the Holocaust as it is portrayed. He is now in prison.

I'm not sure exactly what happened in those camps, I do not believe there were gas chambers that they used to murder people enmass, I do believe that millions of people died in them from disease due to the conditions in them. If you put 500,000 people in a small space with inadequate food, medical and sanitation the people will die like flies. You need to dispose of the bodies thus the crematoria.

Am I wrong?

This came about because the Germans put them there whatever reason and found themselves in a dilemma. The Allies were bombing the hell out of everything

railroads, warehouses, cities - everything. It got to the point where they could not feed the german people, let alone the people in the camps. They could not let them go either.

When it comes to the Jews in this if you look at the history you will find that they have used the victimology for their own gain. Israel uses it to justify it's occupation of Arab lands, Jewish lawyers still try to get compensation for the "victims" and in some cases have. Israel recently blackmailed the German government into giving them 2 nuclear capable submarines.

There were many millions of people died in that war, not just Jews.

It was David Irving who was arrested in Austria, an Englishman, he has now been released but has lost everything including his house. Most of Irvings claims about the Holocaust has been discredited and he was basically ignored my most but since his arrest Irving has been a centre of interest for Anti-Semites. I've never read any of his historical books but I wouldn't mind getting hold of a copy to see what all the fuss is about.

There is a lot of nonsense written these days so why did they have a witch hunt for this particular author, it smacks of Stalinism and 1984, its like the 'Spanish Inquisition', and almost unbelievable this day and age after all the struggles we've had through the centuries for our freedom of speech.
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

Scrat;685591 wrote:

I'll look forward to that.
Max Macks

Post by Max Macks »

Scrat;685591 wrote: And the Holocaust industry rumbles on. I'm so sick and tired of always hearing about the suffering of the Jews under the Nazis. You'd think they were the only victims of the whole conflict. Of course maybe Jews are the only people worth noticing?

I feel the same way but it is

always risky to criticise Israel

am always surprised when some one does
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

RedGlitter;685697 wrote: Sheesh.

No, words cannot do it justice.

They say that birds won't fly over the place - I don't know if that it true but I can testify that none did the day I was there.

The atmosphere of the place is unreal.
percy

Post by percy »

I wonder whether a Leica camera took this photo where over a million German POWs were murdered by starvation and exposure under the order of Eisenhower....a Jew

http://www.rense.com/1.imagesC/grm.jpg
spot

Post by spot »

percy;1347643 wrote: I wonder whether a Leica camera took this photo where over a million German POWs were murdered by starvation and exposure under the order of Eisenhower....a JewMy my. Someone in your organization mistook JW for Jew perhaps. Jehovah's Witness possibly. Jewish isn't quite the same thing. Eisenhower was no more Jewish than the King of England was. Oi vey.

It's quite true that up to a million German POWs died in post-war labor camps across Europe, but very few of those operated under American control. Many, for example, were in France and came under French authority. Eisenhower was appointed Military Governor of the U.S. Occupation Zone in May 1945 and had no authority outside of that part of Germany, his power days as Supreme Allied Commander in Europe ended with the war itself.

As for German prisoners of war in the American sector of post-war Germany and under Eisenhower's jurisdiction, I'd be surprised if there were ever as many as a million Germans interned in them, much less dead German POWs. German prisoners of war were, as a matter of Allied policy, held on Allied territory for de-Nazification rather than returned to Germany before release, for fear that enough Axis ex-servicemen might accumulate on German soil for a break-out revolt to be successful. They were kept under lock and key in countries where escapees would have no sympathy from surrounding civilians. By 1947, for example, a quarter of the agricultural workers in England were forced-labor Axis POWs held at camps like Bourton Hill near the Fosse Way. http://www.kg6gb.org/pow_camps_in_uk.htm lists around 500 such camps.

If you think there were millions of German POWs within Germany perhaps you could identify some of the camps in which they were held, by name, so that I can look them up and learn more of this dastardly act you speak of.

Your photo shows where over a million German POWs were murdered by starvation and exposure under the order of Eisenhower? Perhaps you can name the place for us.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Careful, Spot, you'll ruin your reputation as an America-Hater.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Ahso!;1347679 wrote: Careful, Spot, you'll ruin your reputation as an America-Hater.

Phht, coffee spiller.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

spot;1347668 wrote: My my. Someone in your organization mistook JW for Jew perhaps. Jehovah's Witness possibly. Jewish isn't quite the same thing. Eisenhower was no more Jewish than the King of England was. Oi vey.

It's quite true that up to a million German POWs died in post-war labor camps across Europe, but very few of those operated under American control. Many, for example, were in France and came under French authority. Eisenhower was appointed Military Governor of the U.S. Occupation Zone in May 1945 and had no authority outside of that part of Germany, his power days as Supreme Allied Commander in Europe ended with the war itself.

As for German prisoners of war in the American sector of post-war Germany and under Eisenhower's jurisdiction, I'd be surprised if there were ever as many as a million Germans interned in them, much less dead German POWs. German prisoners of war were, as a matter of Allied policy, held on Allied territory for de-Nazification rather than returned to Germany before release, for fear that enough Axis ex-servicemen might accumulate on German soil for a break-out revolt to be successful. They were kept under lock and key in countries where escapees would have no sympathy from surrounding civilians. By 1947, for example, a quarter of the agricultural workers in England were forced-labor Axis POWs held at camps like Bourton Hill near the Fosse Way. POW Camps in UK - 1 to 50 lists around 500 such camps.

If you think there were millions of German POWs within Germany perhaps you could identify some of the camps in which they were held, by name, so that I can look them up and learn more of this dastardly act you speak of.

Your photo shows where over a million German POWs were murdered by starvation and exposure under the order of Eisenhower? Perhaps you can name the place for us.Were soldiers captured at the camps themselves or did they flee as the allies got close?

I can't image that they would not have been torn appart by the captives.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Post by spot »

flopstock;1347695 wrote: Were soldiers captured at the camps themselves or did they flee as the allies got close?

I can't image that they would not have been torn appart by the captives.

These were Allied prisoner-of-war camps set up by the Allies themselves in countries like England and Canada and, come to that, in the USA itself while the war lasted, in order to imprison German and Italian prisoners of war taken through surrender on the battlefields or captured at sea or whose planes crashed in Allied territory. By mid-1945 they contained millions of Germans, most of whom were held until at least 1947 before release back to Germany. Up to a million of these inmates died before release though to be fair most of those died in the POW camps in Russia rather than in the West. The idea that Russian camps holding Germans were ever under the command of "The Jew Eisenhower" is laughably untrue.

Only a very few of the camps set up by the Germans were subsequently used by the Allies to imprison their own captives, the number involved in that was trivial by comparison.

Practically all of the German troops staffing concentration camps fled before the camps were liberated.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Fascinating that in the US, And perhaps in much of the rest of the world, all anyone ever thinks about the Holocaust is the Jewish angle.

only about half of the Nazi's victims were Jewish. The other half were Poles, Gypsies, Romanians, and other Eastern Europeans, as well as Catholics, Jahovah's Witnesses, Christians.

The Jewish story became the focal story, because it is well documented that the Nazis specifically targeted the Jews for complete annihilation.

Compared to the nearly six million Jews, the rest were scattered minorities. They were, however not unimportant.

Sadly, few of us ever got the whole story.

Here is one perspective:

Holocaust - Non-Jewish Holocaust Victims
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

As for German POW's. I can drum up a lot of examples of how "poorly treated" the POW's under American authority were.

And Eisenhower's lineage comes from the region of Hesse, in Western Germany, near the Rhine River. His ancestor was among the Hessian Mercenaries who fought for the British during the American Revolution. After the Brits surrendered the colonies to the the Rebels, many of the Hessians stayed to start a new life. (Probalby because the Brits refused to pay their passage back to Europe.)
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “History”