should we now leave titanic to rest in peace(the victor meldrew column)

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

No, I don't.

We visit graveyards regularly, what's the difference between that and going down to the ship? I've never really understood that angle...in fact, I'd like them to bring the ship up. The bodies belong to the depths of the ocean as I see it, not to the ship itself.

I find nothing disrespectful about holding a competition for viewing the Titanic. For all we know, that winning person might have come away with an even deeper respect for the loss of human and animal life that occurred.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

I would have at first said no, but then I visited the Vasa museum in Stockholm Sweden, where a Sweden battles ship sank on her maiden voyage in 1628.

Amazingly the ship remained there intact and was raised in the 1960's and restored. Many of the bodies of the crew were still on board.

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/vasa_ship ... ckholm.htm

Well worth visiting, and with regards to this post, why not the titanic? (if possible) there is a great story there for the world to see and hear.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

There have been so many documentaries, we now know all we are likely to know.

I have watched & enjoyed them, if as you say the deterioration is so bad, well hello thats a good enough sign for me its time to leave it alone.

As for raising it, i would think thats impossible, even if it were possible, who's paying for it, where you going to keep it, how much will it cost to keep it.

I can think of many more things i'd rather my tax money was spent on.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

That Vasa link was interesting.

Buttercup, I don't think they will ever bring up the Titanic because it's rusted so badly. I wish they'd bring up just a piece, and the reason for that is because of the profound realization I and many people would have upon seeing it. The same way you go to a museum and come face to face with a famous piece of art: it's different from seeing it in books and on TV. I would be stunned to look at even just a hunk of metal and know it was from 1912. All that history. To know the Astors and so many famous people were on the ship. And of course the commoners who rode in steerage. And all the pets of those people as well.

To make the ship accessible would be to keep in the forefront of our collective mind that the Titanic happened because of human stupidity and foolhardiness. Even arrogance. They didn't have enough lifeboats because they didn't think they'd need them. And so people died because of that.

I have seen photos of personal relics found on the sea floor. A pair of eyeglasses. A shaving brush. Ladies' cosmetic jars. Even dishes from the ship. Perfectly preserved. And that gives me a chill (and even a thrill) because those things provide a record of the humanity that was lost, again, due to human negligence.

Who would pay for it....well how about the Endowment for the Arts? I find the Titanic would fit under that category because good art should make you feel. I also wouldn't mind my tax money being spent on it too much because as it is, the gov'ment wastes money on stupid stuff right now.

Where to house it....no idea, but they'd probably make a museum around it.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Its just bones and seaweed. Itll be ok.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

RedGlitter;660545 wrote: No, I don't.

We visit graveyards regularly, what's the difference between that and going down to the ship? I've never really understood that angle...in fact, I'd like them to bring the ship up. The bodies belong to the depths of the ocean as I see it, not to the ship itself.

I find nothing disrespectful about holding a competition for viewing the Titanic. For all we know, that winning person might have come away with an even deeper respect for the loss of human and animal life that occurred.

I'd have to agree except people don't usually comeback from graveyards with souvenirs.

If folks could restrain themselves from bringing anything up, then yeah, I could go with the graveyard angle. On the other hand isn't that what archeology is all about disturbing the dead to learn about them. I don't know. I guess I see it both ways.
SlipStream

Post by SlipStream »

:confused:Patrick;671033 wrote: I'd have to agree except people don't usually comeback from graveyards with souvenirs.

If folks could restrain themselves from bringing anything up, then yeah, I could go with the graveyard angle. On the other hand isn't that what archeology is all about disturbing the dead to learn about them. I don't know. I guess I see it both ways.

think I'd agree with you on that.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

As long as we're not talking about bones, I don't have a problem with people bringing things to the surface. I know I would do it if given the chance. I'd much rather see that stuff in a memorial museum than to decay at the bottom of the sea. What happened to those people and animals on the ship was due to human arrogance. Not the iceberg, but the lack of lifeboats due to the feeling of superiority and overconfidence in the ship. For this reason, I think Titanic belongs to all of us. Not just those who went down with it, but to those who keep the memory alive.

Return to “History”