The sinister secret of what a coelophysis had for lunch

OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... w_30062006

Revealed: the sinister secret of what a coelophysis had for lunch

By Nic Fleming, Science Correspondent

(Filed: 30/06/2006)

A life-sized dinosaur head lets out a fearsome roar as it swings from side to side, gnashing its razor-sharp teeth.

Perhaps most unsettling of all is the way its blinking, menacing yellow eyes stare at visitors wherever they stand.

The animated, life-sized tyrannosaurus rex head is just one of 10 spectacular robotic models in an exhibition expected to become one of this year's top family attractions.

Opening today at the Natural History Museum, Dino Jaws brings together animatronics, interactive exhibits, fossils and up-to-date science to explore the sometimes gruesome and occasionally disgusting subject of what dinosaurs ate.

Dr Angela Milner, associate keeper of palaeontology and leading dinosaur researcher at the museum in London, said: "Everyone knows that T rex was a meat-eater.

"But can you tell what baryonyx ate, and have you seen the sinister evidence of what coelophysis had for lunch?

"We all have to eat, dinosaurs had to eat, so it is something everyone can understand and relate to.

"Being able to build realistic animated reconstructions is a great way of bringing the subject alive and engaging children.

"We have been able to present a lot of up-to-date science - for example the bite force of T rex has only recently been worked out using sophisticated engineering and biomechanics, as has the fact that velociraptors were covered in feathers and gave rise to birds.

"This gives children an understanding that dinosaurs were living, breathing, moving animals, and is a great way to get them to ask questions and become interested in science."

Visitors enter the £1.2 million exhibition through giant dinosaur jaws to find themselves stepping millions of years back into a world populated by hungry dinosaurs of varying shapes and sizes.

Apart from the impressive T rex head, other exhibits likely to leave an impression include a pack of three feathered velociraptors devouring a triceratops and a coelophysis eating a baby of its own species.

The baryonyx, a native of what is now England, with crocodile-style jaws is attempting to hook an animated lepidotes fish in the style of a grizzly bear.

The slower, more benign-looking herbivores are no less impressive.

There is the giant green head and long neck of a brachiosaurus nibbling a ginko tree, a dopey iguanodon with its characteristic spiked thumbs, a cheeky, armour-plated euoplocephalus preparing to fend off attackers with its impressive club-like tail and a comical big-lipped edmontosaurus head.

Children are encouraged to learn more about dinosaurs through a series of interactive and fun exhibits, such as a 3ft-high model of a pile of euoplocephalus dung which they are encouraged to touch and examine to discover what the giant plant-eater ate.

They can become "dino-detectives" with virtual chisels, hammers and trowels and simulate the 1983 discovery of a giant fish-eating baryonyx in a clay pit near Dorking, Surrey, by the amateur fossil hunter William Walker.

Adrian Doyle, a conservation scientist at the museum, said: "Excavations are not like in Jurassic Park where they just blow away the sand and all the bones are just laid out waiting for them.

"The remains are often jumbled up, dispersed, broken and with some parts missing.

"I'm delighted with our virtual dig. It helps people understand what is involved in a real excavation, and so far the children seem to be making a better job of it than the adults."

Other displays encourage them to try to match the force of a tyrannosaurus rex bite, mimic the grinding action of stones found in the stomach of a brachiosaurus and to discover the unique chewing mechanism that the edmontosaurus used to grind up plants.

Visitors use a barcode on their ticket at interactive points throughout the exhibition to gain diet-related clues to the identity of a mystery dinosaur, and to continue their investigations at home.

Ailsa Barry, the head of interactive media at the museum, said: "We wanted to make Dino Jaws the first of many exhibitions here in which the science, content, interactive exhibits and website work together to create a complete visitor experience that continues long after the visitor has left the museum."

• The exhibition open today, and runs until April next year and costs £8 for adults, £5 concessions and £21 for a family of five.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

SnoozeControl wrote: Brrr! I got freaked out after watching Jurassic Park the first time.:-3

Sounds great to me. I'm gonna dress up as a kid and get in at reduced price.:D
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

That is so cool! I wish that had done that when Iwas a kid. I'm sneaking in behind you, Open. If I braid my hair into pigtails, do you think they will notice I'm an adult?

If I ever have time to get another degree, I still want one in palaeontology. I've always loved it since I was a kid.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

chonsigirl wrote: That is so cool! I wish that had done that when Iwas a kid. I'm sneaking in behind you, Open. If I braid my hair into pigtails, do you think they will notice I'm an adult?

If I ever have time to get another degree, I still want one in palaeontology. I've always loved it since I was a kid.

if we hold hands, Chonsi, they'll think we're a cute pair of kids.:wah:
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

:) Yeah, they would never know!

I still have some fossils I collected as a 12 year old, we used to collect them all the time. Carboniferous shells were in the rocks, they were all over the place. Oh, this made me think. I get to teach geology and palaeontology in 6th grade science! I feel a field trip coming up next year! Yeah, maybe the Smithsonian, they have a great exhibit.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

chonsigirl wrote: :) Yeah, they would never know!

I still have some fossils I collected as a 12 year old, we used to collect them all the time. Carboniferous shells were in the rocks, they were all over the place. Oh, this made me think. I get to teach geology and palaeontology in 6th grade science! I feel a field trip coming up next year! Yeah, maybe the Smithsonian, they have a great exhibit.

I used to love reading about dinosaurs when I was a child. Wish I could be on your field trip.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

One day we will have a big FG meet here. And we can go to the Smithsonian. :)

My fellow scholars work there, and we can go downstairs to see all the labyrinths and collections that there isn't room for upstairs. I went 2 summers ago, to see them, and they took me up and down the nooks and crannies. We popped up in the strangest places-the middle of the ornithological specimens-the owls were eyeing me! We skirted outside the Hall of Gems-ha, no Hope Diamond for me-went back down underneath, and popped up in Africa! So many treats that day, all the specimens and scholarly works and maps, special libraries, etc. It was amazing, it would be a joy to work there. Cubbeyholes where they work and write on the most fantastic subjects, I would like to be a little mouse there in it's hole, peering out at the wonders around me.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

chonsigirl wrote: One day we will have a big FG meet here. And we can go to the Smithsonian. :)

My fellow scholars work there, and we can go downstairs to see all the labyrinths and collections that there isn't room for upstairs. I went 2 summers ago, to see them, and they took me up and down the nooks and crannies. We popped up in the strangest places-the middle of the ornithological specimens-the owls were eyeing me! We skirted outside the Hall of Gems-ha, no Hope Diamond for me-went back down underneath, and popped up in Africa! So many treats that day, all the specimens and scholarly works and maps, special libraries, etc. It was amazing, it would be a joy to work there. Cubbeyholes where they work and write on the most fantastic subjects, I would like to be a little mouse there in it's hole, peering out at the wonders around me.

Hoo, that sounds like fun. You're a glutton for knowledge, Chonsi, but incorrigible for experience. In my 50 years so far, I have thoroughly enjoyed learning about life on this planet, from the beginning to the current day. When I die, I shall have a book in my one hand and a pen and notebook in the other. In front of me will be my computer screen linking me with my FG friends and the world. Just not sure where I'll be at the time. (On top of the world, I'm sure.)
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Can I come Daddy, P L E A S E !!!!!!!!! Are we there yet????
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

We are the same age, Open. Well, I am 1 1/2 years older. Ha-it doesn't matter when you hit 50! Life is for learning and having fun doing it. That is what makes life so interesting, to learn something new everyday.

From a new dinosaur species

To a funny joke on FG

To the summer breeze making you think philosophical things

Every day is a joy.

And what book would you be holding in your hand, Open?

I would have my Bible beside me, and the classicist in me would have the Iliad beside it.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

AussiePam wrote: Can I come Daddy, P L E A S E !!!!!!!!! Are we there yet????

Hey, Pam. Ya can sneak in with Chonsi and me.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

chonsigirl wrote: We are the same age, Open. Well, I am 1 1/2 years older. Ha-it doesn't matter when you hit 50! Life is for learning and having fun doing it. That is what makes life so interesting, to learn something new everyday.

From a new dinosaur species

To a funny joke on FG

To the summer breeze making you think philosophical things

Every day is a joy.

And what book would you be holding in your hand, Open?

I would have my Bible beside me, and the classicist in me would have the Iliad beside it.

My Bible is on the speaker to my left. Beside the coffee table, I have a pile of books consisting of the Yellow Pages (phone directory), Marguerite Patten's Every Day Cook Book, Phone Directory, Beginning the Folk Guitar - Jerry Silverman, Anatomy of the Spirit - Caroline Myss Ph D, PC Repair Bench Book - Ron Gilster, The Only Way to Stop Smoking Permanently - Allen Carr, Household Encyclopaedia, Emergence - Steven Johnson.

Beside my bed I have Computer Shopper (mag), The Wizard of Quarks - Robert Gilmore, The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene, and The Big Book of Chi - Paul Wildish.

and, of corse, in my car, I have An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics.

What book I will have in my hand when I repose for life will be, I hope, very informative according to what I am pursuing at the time. Preferably, this would be in a tent in the midst of the Pennines.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Wow, you have books all over the place! I have two bookshelves on Native Americans, everything else goes into stack or big boxes. The book I am reading now is The Haiku Handbook by Higginson.

I did get a dinosaur book last month, from the Discovery Channel specials they had. My husband likes those shows, and can look at the pictures and try to read some of the captions.

To the museum, to see dinosaurs!:)
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

chonsigirl wrote: Wow, you have books all over the place! I have two bookshelves on Native Americans, everything else goes into stack or big boxes. The book I am reading now is The Haiku Handbook by Higginson.

I did get a dinosaur book last month, from the Discovery Channel specials they had. My husband likes those shows, and can look at the pictures and try to read some of the captions.

To the museum, to see dinosaurs!:)

Two bookshelves on Native Americans! My Dad would have loved you.:)

I cannot claim to have a shelf dedicated to any one subject. In fact, I don't even have a filing system. My books are in 'size' order. The subjects are very varied.

On the third shelf up, I have a complete collection of the PG Tips Chimps each in their own cars. The cars have recoil wheels. If you pull them backwards on any surface, they shoot forwards like racing cars. Does that count as a bookshelf collection?!:rolleyes:

The PG Tips chimps were real life chimps used in adverts for PG tips tea. They pre-dated tea-bags.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

The bookshelves are my reference books, saves me at trip everytime I need to look up something! I needed on specific fact yesterday while I'm rewriting, thank goodness the book was there-not an organized shelf, but I kind of know where they are. My daughter laughed as I was looking for it, she didn't think I would find it! Ha!

Are these the PG chimps?

Attached files
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

chonsigirl wrote: The bookshelves are my reference books, saves me at trip everytime I need to look up something! I needed on specific fact yesterday while I'm rewriting, thank goodness the book was there-not an organized shelf, but I kind of know where they are. My daughter laughed as I was looking for it, she didn't think I would find it! Ha!

Are these the PG chimps?

That's one of them, looks like Geoff.
OpenMind

Post by OpenMind »

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, he's so cute!:)
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Thanks OM !!!! Count me in!! I'm just looking at my closest bookshelf, Chonsi. This whole house is a library.. grin.. I'm incorrigible. The one beside me contains a few books on web design and several (oops) on hacking!!! The Oxford English dictionsary. The American Heritage dictionary and an Irish English dictionary. Oh and a Photoshop manual. How geek is all that!! I have more philosophical and literary, and trashy novel and cooking and travel shelves elsewhere. Reference books. I think I have a Bible in Haitian creole stashed somewhere too. And of course my wondrous collection of ski trail maps.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Return to “History”