Ash and lightning above an Icelandic Volcano

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Asked to close by a mod.....
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

My gosh! What a terrifying and beautiful photo! I'm in awe.

Thanks for posting it, Kathy.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Kathy Ellen;1304611 wrote: Asked to close by a mod.....

Why?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Unfortunately that fantastic photograph has blown the margins on the 'home' page, which is not allowed for technical etc. reasons. It is hoped that it can be reduced in size so that it can be shown.. Perhaps the thread will be moved to the 'compost pile' to take it off the 'home' page, till the size can be reduced somehow. If somebody can help with this I would be grateful. Then it can be returned to the open boards.

I've just realised that Kathy has deleted the post.

Kathy try to reduce the size of the pic, put in a couple of lines of the text, then a link to the original report, then bring it back to the thread. It was a brilliant photograph and a pity not to be able to share it.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

G#Gill;1304639 wrote: Unfortunately that fantastic photograph has blown the margins on the 'home' page, which is not allowed for technical etc. reasons. It is hoped that it can be reduced in size so that it can be shown.. Perhaps the thread will be moved to the 'compost pile' to take it off the 'home' page, till the size can be reduced somehow. If somebody can help with this I would be grateful. Then it can be returned to the open boards.

The photo should be uploaded as an attachment, which would rectify the problem of blowing the margins. ;)
spot

Post by spot »

Kathy, perhaps you could post a link to the photo on the original site? That would let people reading the thread see the picture and it deserves to be full sized.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

Here it is...

APOD: 2010 April 19 - Ash and Lightning Above an Icelandic Volcano

If you notice the "Credit & Copyright: Marco Fulle (Stromboli Online)" under the photo, it's a fair indication that copying the picture into another site isn't acceptable, reduced size or attached or (worst of all) as a bandwidth theft IMG hotlink. URL-Linking to it is fine.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Thank you Spot! It was such a pity that such an amazing photograph could not be shared. Thank you to Kathy Ellen for finding it. :D
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

along-for-the-ride;1304616 wrote: My gosh! What a terrifying and beautiful photo! I'm in awe.

Thanks for posting it, Kathy.

I'm sure glad I did get to see it before it was removed. Kathy, your intentions were good anyway. :-4
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

along-for-the-ride;1304855 wrote: I'm sure glad I did get to see it before it was removed. Kathy, your intentions were good anyway. :-4

That brilliant photograph can still be seen if you click on the link in Spot's post above.

They showed actual film of the lightning amongst the billowing eruption clouds coming from Eyjafjallajokull, on our TV news last night - really awesome ! Filmed from an aircraft which flew to within a few hundred yards of the crater !!

Apparently the flying ban over the UK has been lifted tonight. Don't know for how long, as I suppose when the eruption increases and the wind changes, they will have to re-introduce the ban! grrrrrrrrrrr
spot

Post by spot »

along-for-the-ride;1304855 wrote: I'm sure glad I did get to see it before it was removed. Kathy, your intentions were good anyway. :-4

Now might be a sensible time to discuss the concepts of credit and copyright, perhaps. You've heard that websites hosting copies of books in copyright, or tracks from music CDs, have sometimes been issued with requests to desist? And subsequently privately prosecuted for damages if they refused, with legal orders to take down the copies? Photos lacking permission fall into the same category. Pointing to a copyright image elsewhere is fine, copying it onto the site is unsafe and not allowed.

In order to define the acceptable boundary between pointing off-site and copying on-site ForumGarden has always insisted that hotlinking to imagery on other websites is not allowed. What happened in this thread was hotlinking. An exception has periodically been made for hotlinks to personal material on hosting sites like photobucket but that's always struck me as a questionable decision, firstly because it results so often in "bandwidth exceeded" blanks followed eventually by "account expired" blanks and secondly because it's mostly been used to swap blithering photochopped wide-eyed pussycats in overlarge sigs.

Anyway. Why is there a perceived problem with just providing a hyperlink to pages like the one at NASA the thread relates to? That way NASA's discussion of the photo becomes available, the credits aren't lost and complaints don't arrive asking FG to desist.
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

well...these pics i found on a picdump i frequent everyday so they are common property..........must have been seen, saved, reposted by millions by now

Attached files
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Remarkable photographs (including the one Kathy put on!), just shows the awesome power of nature !

Return to “Space and Astronomy”