Astronomy picture of the day...

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Odie;1218924 wrote: hard to believe......40 years ago today..........first man on the moon!

YIPPEE!!!:-6

Gorgeous photos, KE. Thanks.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Zapata;1218962 wrote: YIPPEE!!!:-6

Gorgeous photos, KE. Thanks.

cool eh?

hard to believe it was that long ago!:guitarist:guitarist
Life is just to short for drama.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Kathy Ellen;1217333 wrote: Erupting volcano in Indonesia July 13, 2009

Erupting Volcano Anak Krakatau

Just beautiful Kathy.

I read up on it a bit and found that it is called Anak Krakatau, Child of Krakatau

, as you said. In 1883, Krakatoa, according to official records, erupted and 165 villages and towns were destroyed and 132 seriously damaged, at least 36,417 (official toll) people died, and many thousands were injured by the eruption, mostly from the tsunamis that followed the explosion. The eruption destroyed two-thirds of the island of Krakatoa.

Eruptions at the volcano since 1927 have built a new island in the same location, named Anak Krakatau (Indonesian: "Child of Krakatoa"). This island currently has a radius of roughly 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) and a high point around 300 metres (980 ft) above sea level, growing 5 metres (16 ft) each year.

Love the photos you find. Just facinating. Thanks for sharing. :-4
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello Odie, Zap and Sunshine:-4

Thank you so much for posting in my thread. I'm so happy that you love these pictures.

I love astronomy...anything to do with earth and sky....

NASA is an amazing site that gives me lots of info about daily sky events...
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1218980 wrote: Hello Odie, Zap and Sunshine:-4

Thank you so much for posting in my thread. I'm so happy that you love these pictures.

I love astronomy...anything to do with earth and sky....

NASA is an amazing site that gives me lots of info about daily sky events...

the pictures you find are just magnificent!:guitarist:guitarist
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1218929 wrote: Indeed it is Odie...and so hard to believe that many people don't believe that we have landed men on the moon:confused:

incredible what we have accomplished!:guitarist:guitarist
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Milky Way over Devil's Tower...
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

The Eagle Rises.....
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Ah, I missed the photo of the day. School is almost here, and I love showing them!
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1227274 wrote: The Eagle Rises.....

just amazing how the eagle looks close up!

thank you!
Oops

Post by Oops »

These photographs are incredible! :-4

Im off to page 1 to look at them all! :D
If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear ~Winnie the Pooh~
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Odie;1227284 wrote: just amazing how the eagle looks close up!

thank you!

And people think that we haven't landed man on the moon:confused:
dubs

Post by dubs »

Perseid Meteor Shower Peaks August 12th, 2009 | Supporting IYA 2009 The International Year of Astronomy

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
almostfamous

Post by almostfamous »

Awesome thread... I had to sign up on NASA. Thanks Kathy.. and everyone else :)
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1227304 wrote: And people think that we haven't landed man on the moon:confused:

that's just ignorance.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

thanks for posting those Kathy. Some really awesome shots there. I am hoping to be able to wake up to see the meteor shower too. I have a great view of the northeast from my house.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi Oops, Sunshine, Odie and AF....:-6Happy that you like the pics. I love looking at the sky and viewing all of its treasures;)

It's too cloudy now and it's hard to see any meteors...Hope tonight is better...
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Perseid Meteor Shower Peaks August 12th, 2009

Going out in my jammies about 1 AM to watch the showers....Problems is that it's very cloudy the next few days:-5 These are my favorite meteor showers because you can view so many.

Watch the Leonid showers also in November also ....fantastic...;)

Strong Meteor Shower Expected Tonight - Yahoo! News

What Causes a Meteor Shower? | How to Observe a Meteor Shower

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Kathy Ellen;1229096 wrote:

Perseid Meteor Shower Peaks August 12th, 2009

Going out in my jammies about 1 AM to watch the showers....Problems is that it's very cloudy the next few days:-5 These are my favorite meteor showers because you can view so many.

Watch the Leonid showers also in November also ....fantastic...;)

Strong Meteor Shower Expected Tonight - Yahoo! News

What Causes a Meteor Shower? | How to Observe a Meteor Shower

yeah, it is cloudy today but not as humid:wah: will look for it at midnight...thanks for the tip ke
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Can't see the Perseids from London - too much light pollution.

Great pics, though!
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1229073 wrote: Hi Oops, Sunshine, Odie and AF....:-6Happy that you like the pics. I love looking at the sky and viewing all of its treasures;)

It's too cloudy now and it's hard to see any meteors...Hope tonight is better...

I really love the pics you find, to cloudy here also!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Odie;1229177 wrote: I really love the pics you find, to cloudy here also!

I'm so glad you do Odie.

I am so disappointed....we just had a thunderous storm and now the 2nd one will be moving in soon. Every storm that Ducky gets makes its way to the beach here.

So rain, thunder, lightning all tonight ......just as the meteor shower peaks...such a shame.

But I still think we can see them up until the weekend, but of course not as many:thinking: ~~~~~~~~~~~sigh~~~~~~~~~~~~
Odie

Post by Odie »

[QUOTE=Kathy Ellen;1229316]I'm so glad you do Odie.

I am so disappointed....we just had a thunderous storm and now the 2nd one will be moving in soon. Every storm that Ducky gets makes its way to the beach here.

So rain, thunder, lightning all tonight ......just as the meteor shower peaks...such a shame.

But I still think we can see them up until the weekend, but of course not as many:thinking: ~~~~~~~~~~~sigh~~~~~~~~~~~~[/QUOTE

oops!-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we've all had our share of rain and storms this year.

funny how ducky's goes right to you!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Yes, I know that Ducky secretly sends her storms to me:yh_rotfl The little bugger wants me to suffer along with her so we can worry about the storms together:-6

Ducky lives a bit northwest of me...about 40 miles..... so her storms are usually mine unless they blow more northwards.

Ducky is on call all the time to notify me when to "batten down the hatches.":D:-6

Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1229389 wrote: Yes, I know that Ducky secretly sends her storms to me:yh_rotfl The little bugger wants me to suffer along with her so we can worry about the storms together:-6

Ducky lives a bit northwest of me...about 40 miles..... so her storms are usually mine unless they blow more northwards.

Ducky is on call all the time to notify me when to "batten down the hatches.":D:-6

you guys are only 40 miles away and have never met?

its nice to see that she takes care of you.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

;)I decided an hour ago to sit outside under the rain soaked sky and peek between the clouds looking for meteors....Naturally, I enjoyed a glass or two of pinot noir and a little, sweet tipper cigar....just a wee one..didn't inhale...but it was ohhhh so delightful....:D

What a pleasant surprise to realize that an eastern wind, I know it's from Donegal, Ireland, was pushing all the "sea clouds" from the east towards the west, meandering slowly across my beach hut as if they were entertaining me with their delightful antics of animal shapes.

I honestly cannot begin to explain how beautiful this moment was. The gorgeous, billowing clouds just kept marching across the sky for an hour or so. In-between the clouds were planes and helicopters flying eastwards for parts unknown.

What a blessing to sit under such a lovely sky....maybe later, if I'm awake, I'll see a few meteors zipping across the sky like firecrackers...;)

I'm so blessed to live at the beach:-6
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1229413 wrote: ;)I decided an hour ago to sit outside under the rain soaked sky and peek between the clouds looking for meteors....Naturally, I enjoyed a glass or two of pinot noir and a little, sweet tipper cigar....just a wee one..didn't inhale...but it was ohhhh so delightful....:D

What a pleasant surprise to realize that an eastern wind, I know it's from Donegal, Ireland, was pushing all the "sea clouds" from the east towards the west, meandering slowly across my beach hut as if they were entertaining me with their delightful antics of animal shapes.

I honestly cannot begin to explain how beautiful this moment was. The gorgeous, billowing clouds just kept marching across the sky for an hour or so. In-between the clouds were planes and helicopters flying eastwards for parts unknown.

What a blessing to sit under such a lovely sky....maybe later, if I'm awake, I'll see a few meteors zipping across the sky like firecrackers...;)

sounds like a night in heaven.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

August 14, 2009 "Discovery Space Shuttle and Meteor" over NASA'S Kennedy Space Station.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1230181 wrote: August 14, 2009 "Discovery Space Shuttle and Meteor" over NASA'S Kennedy Space Station.

Kathy, just stunning!
almostfamous

Post by almostfamous »

Kathy Ellen;1229413 wrote: ;)I decided an hour ago to sit outside under the rain soaked sky and peek between the clouds looking for meteors....Naturally, I enjoyed a glass or two of pinot noir and a little, sweet tipper cigar....just a wee one..didn't inhale...but it was ohhhh so delightful....:D

That sounds so nice. Indeed it is nice living at the beach :-4

And speaking of cloud formations, I think it was yesterday (possibly the day before) I was checking out the storm clouds coming in and happened to see what looked JUST LIKE a portion of Stonehenge. I was fascinated and drug mom and dad out to see it :)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

"GHOSTBUSTERS" ........full movie...

YouTube - Ghostbusters - Full Movie
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

:DFor this Monday morning......An early sky show...Grab your coffee and head out before dawn for the show;)

MONDAY MORNING SKY SHOW: Set your alarm for dawn. On Monday morning, Aug. 17th, Venus and the crescent Moon will gather beautifully close together in the eastern sky. For many observers in North America, the International Space Station (ISS) will make an appearance, too. It's a fantastic way to begin the day. Check http://spaceweather.com for a sky map and ISS flyby predictions.

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

August 21, 2009 "The Whale and the Hocky Stick" ....spiral galaxy
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

"Four cacti and a comet" **images from Space.com**

This image of the Hale-Bopp Comet was captured in Arizona by Astro-scenic photographer, Dennis Young. Astro-scenic photography is the practice of photographing both features of the land and the sky together, as they appear in nature.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

"Arizona's impact crater" **image taken from Space.com

Impact craters are the most characteristic features of planetary bodies. They are geologic structures formed when a large meteoroid, asteroid or comet smashes into a planet or a satellite. Impact craters range in size from tens of meters in diameter (visible size with the current image resolution) to hundreds or thousands of kilometers. Shown above is the Meteor Crater in the state of Arizona was the first crater to be identified as an impact crater. Between 20,000 to 50,000 years ago, a small asteroid about 80 feet in diameter impacted the Earth and formed the crater. The crater is the best-preserved crater on Earth and measures 1.2 km in diameter. For many years, scientists had denied that there were any impact craters on Earth. The origin of this crater has been a source of controversy for many years. The discovery of fragments of the Canyon Diablo meteorite helps prove that the feature was in fact an impact crater. Click to enlarge.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1238102 wrote:

"Four cacti and a comet" **images from Space.com**

This image of the Hale-Bopp Comet was captured in Arizona by Astro-scenic photographer, Dennis Young. Astro-scenic photography is the practice of photographing both features of the land and the sky together, as they appear in nature.

wow, spectular!
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

Great thread, Kathy Ellen! Now that the missus and I have relocated to Albuquerque, New Mexico I'm hoping to join up with an astronomy group soon and learn the sky properly.
luciferjohn

Post by luciferjohn »

some beautiful pics:yh_worshp
:driving:lookout smart guy talkin:guitarist:yh_devil:yh_ghost:
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

October 3rd, 2009 "Faith-Full Moon"

Explanation: Scheduled to illuminate the landscape throughout the night tomorrow, October's bright Full Moon will also be called the Harvest Moon. Traditionally, the Harvest Moon is the Full Moon closest to the autumnal equinox. But in this vacation snapshot, the Full Moon could be called the "Old Faith-Full Moon". Taken on September 4, the picture combines the regularly occurring lunar phase with Old Faithful Geyser in Yellowstone National Park, named for its dependable erruptions. Shining on the well-known geyser's towering pillar from behind, the moonlight creates an eerie halo surrounding convoluted shapes. Faithfully, the Full Moon itself is bright enough to be seen through the dense swirling steam near the top.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1248591 wrote: October 3rd, 2009 "Faith-Full Moon"

Explanation: Scheduled to illuminate the landscape throughout the night tomorrow, October's bright Full Moon will also be called the Harvest Moon. Traditionally, the Harvest Moon is the Full Moon closest to the autumnal equinox. But in this vacation snapshot, the Full Moon could be called the "Old Faith-Full Moon". Taken on September 4, the picture combines the regularly occurring lunar phase with Old Faithful Geyser in Yellowstone National Park, named for its dependable erruptions. Shining on the well-known geyser's towering pillar from behind, the moonlight creates an eerie halo surrounding convoluted shapes. Faithfully, the Full Moon itself is bright enough to be seen through the dense swirling steam near the top.

stunning KE, thanks!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

October 5, 2009 "International Space Station over our Earth"
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

"Eye of the hurricane Ivan" 2004.... taken from the ISS....

Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1250562 wrote: "Eye of the hurricane Ivan" 2004.... taken from the ISS....

wow..looks like the movie Armageddon........scary, very scary.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

October 12, 2009 "Stars over Easter Island"
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

October 11, 2009 "Starry, starry Night"
daBunnyWendy7

Post by daBunnyWendy7 »

Thank you for posting such beutiful photographs!!! HUGS Wendy Bunny:)
Wendybunny

Everyone can make the world a better place!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

daBunnyWendy7;1251589 wrote: Thank you for posting such beutiful photographs!!! HUGS Wendy Bunny:)

Hugs to you too Wendy. I love beautiful pictures of sea and sky....amazing:-6
Odie

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1251231 wrote: October 12, 2009 "Stars over Easter Island"

that's a stunning sky, thanks again for sharing.
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Kathy Ellen;1251233 wrote: October 11, 2009 "Starry, starry Night"

I read somewhere that 'they' can now tell the exact date on which this painting was painted, due to the configuration of stars in the sky!

I was amazed! Sadly, I read this article a couple of years ago and, despite a quick google :sneaky:, I cannot find a reference to it. Such a shame.

Amazing pictures though Kathy Ellen, and all so beautiful. :-6

Thankyou for keeping this thread updated and sharing it with us. :-4 :-6
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Whimsical astronomy pictures...

Return to “Space and Astronomy”