NASA to Announce Success of Long Galactic Hunt

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Anybody know anything about this?

WASHINGTON -- NASA has scheduled a media teleconference Wednesday, May 14 at 1 p.m. EDT, to announce the discovery of an object in our Galaxy astronomers have been hunting for more than 50 years. This finding was made by combining data from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory with ground-based observations.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Well, I was going to speculate that maybe they'd found dark matter, but I don't think they've been looking for it that long. Then I read Jimbo's post and realised he'd really cleared things up! :wah:

The Soup Dragon?
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Clodhopper;861962 wrote: Well, I was going to speculate that maybe they'd found dark matter, but I don't think they've been looking for it that long. Then I read Jimbo's post and realised he'd really cleared things up! :wah:

The Soup Dragon?

speculation ranges from a worm hole to another sun to an alien life form ...

some say that knowing nasa it will be something boring!
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Hmm. Well, SETI has been going for about fifty years, hasn't it? That would be exciting! But I would have thought the discovery of what might be alien life would have been straight on to the front pages across the world.

Popped over to the NASA site and they are also announcing something on Thursday that looks interesting - something to do with the Mars expedition?

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Ok, the Mars thing was an expedition progress report, but what was the Wednesday announcement? Was it the 140 year old supernova? (Wasn't around yesterday to check)

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Isn't Nomad around 50 yrs old?
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

:) Well, possibly, but I thought the FBI were after Nomad for senator prodding. Aren't NASA involved in the Search for Jester's Extraterrestrial Atheism and sending the Great Red spot to Mars?

Return to “Space and Astronomy”