Bloody Hell....I'm goin out again !!

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

News from NASA:

Space Weather News for Dec. 12, 2007http://spaceweather.com

Earth has entered a stream of dusty debris from asteroid 3200 Phaethon and, as a result, the annual Geminid meteor shower is underway. Sky watchers around the world are reporting a slow drizzle of late-night meteors at least as bright as the stars of the Big Dipper. The best is yet to come: Forecasters expect the shower to peak on Friday, Dec. 14th. No matter where you live, watch the sky between local midnight and dawn; people outdoors before sunrise on Friday could see dozens to hundreds of shooting stars. Depending on the details of Earth's encounter with Phaethon's debris stream, the shower could continue into the weekend as well.

News from Me:

Well, tonight's the night at the beach and the sky is bloody awful....cloudy and very damp...

Bloody Hell is right....I'm goin out again and spending all night looking for a damn meteor if it kills me.....I don't give a ***** ....I'm taking me blankie and a cuppa....or maybe a wee glass of Irish Whisky....maybe....Even though the last 2 attempts in November were duds....I'm plowing on.......... wish me luck....I may freeze me arse off...it's freezing out there. If it's any good I'll head down to the beach and view a beautiful meteor shower with the fishermen......:rolleyes:
dubs

Post by dubs »

Same here KE, overcast sky......:(.....bugger!

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Best of luck, Kathy!!!! The Irish whiskey sounds like a good idea!!! Stay warm. And may the meteor force be with you.

:sneaky:
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Dubs,

Sh*** now, I'm going out now to view the damp weather...will let ya know if I see a meteor:wah:
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

AussiePam;740423 wrote: Best of luck, Kathy!!!! The Irish whiskey sounds like a good idea!!! Stay warm. And may the meteor force be with you.

:sneaky:

Thanks Luv,

I'm a goin now...did ya get a Chrissy card from Franny?
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I got at least three cyber ones!! :sneaky: Have a great evening!!

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

May it clear for you, before the Nor'Easter tomorrow.....:)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Just poppin in for anyone interested...Froze me arse off again but saw 10 meteors streaking through the heavens like torpedoes. Maybe there will be some creatures lurking about now....for our scfi fans...must call Art Bell and George Noorey.....

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Well, for anyone interested in Astronomy...this was the best that I've ever seen. I counted at least 60 meteors. Was up all night and slept most of the morning....time for lots of coffee and a shower.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Think we're just having rain Chonsi....would like a bit of snow though.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Awesome, Kathy!!!!

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Kathy, if we manage to move to the Isle of Skye, I will be able to see the 'Northern Lights' . My younger sister, who already lives up there has seen them several times and she says its magic, surreal, amazing. I have been able to see, in the past, meteor showers and they are spectacular. In fact one evening when I was driving to a gig, it was dark and about this time of year. I had just driven through a village and was out on the open road, with farmland either side of me. I could see lots of shooting stars flashing down to earth, and suddenly straight across at an angle from right to left, this terrific bright white flash streaked across the road a short way ahead of me and crashed into a field. Well that one hadn't totally disintegrated before it hit the earth ! It was a bit close for comfort, and who was it said they burn up before they manage to hit anything ? Very spectacular and fascinating to watch.

:D
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

G#Gill;740908 wrote: Kathy, if we manage to move to the Isle of Skye, I will be able to see the 'Northern Lights' . My younger sister, who already lives up there has seen them several times and she says its magic, surreal, amazing. I have been able to see, in the past, meteor showers and they are spectacular. In fact one evening when I was driving to a gig, it was dark and about this time of year. I had just driven through a village and was out on the open road, with farmland either side of me. I could see lots of shooting stars flashing down to earth, and suddenly straight across at an angle from right to left, this terrific bright white flash streaked across the road a short way ahead of me and crashed into a field. Well that one hadn't totally disintegrated before it hit the earth ! It was a bit close for comfort, and who was it said they burn up before they manage to hit anything ? Very spectacular and fascinating to watch.

:D

Wow Gill, What a cool experience for you to have had. It's lucky that meteorite didn't hit you. We do have some small ones hit areas in NJ, but no big. Are you excited about maybe moving to Skye:driving:
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

G#Gill - the Isle of Skye!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED my visit there. Been a long time. There was no bridge - I got there on a salmon boat.

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

AussiePam;740938 wrote: G#Gill - the Isle of Skye!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED my visit there. Been a long time. There was no bridge - I got there on a salmon boat.

Pam, my friend...didn't know you've been to Skye. Listen to this song. Learned to play in when I had to give a music presentation in College. We still sing it now:-4

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Love it, Kathy. I'm sure I've heard it too in Scots Gaelic. I remember the gorse and the hills, and moors, the streams - having high tea of bannock buns? at a country house. We stayed in a little inn in the harbour where the landlady told us that we didn't need a ticket for the boat back to the mainland - the day you'd need a reservation there'd be "twa moons in the sky". The salmon boats stopped at each little island on the way, delivering groceries etc. The Coolins. Bonnie Prince Charlie. I think the Isle of Skye now has the Gaelic University.

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

AussiePam;741099 wrote: Love it, Kathy. I'm sure I've heard it too in Scots Gaelic. I remember the gorse and the hills, and moors, the streams - having high tea of bannock buns? at a country house. We stayed in a little inn in the harbour where the landlady told us that we didn't need a ticket for the boat back to the mainland - the day you'd need a reservation there'd be "twa moons in the sky". The salmon boats stopped at each little island on the way, delivering groceries etc. The Coolins. Bonnie Prince Charlie. I think the Isle of Skye now has the Gaelic University.

Pam, That's lovely. I'll visit Skye one day and think of you:-6

I love the salmon boat:-4

Return to “Space and Astronomy”