December Asteroid Shower

Kathy Ellen

December Asteroid Shower

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Here's another "meteor shower" show for Friday....hope it's not a dud like the one in the beginning of November. Hope it's good....I'll be on the beach in my jammies with hot coffee and the local fishermen.:-6

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007 ... ?list15915

chonsigirl

December Asteroid Shower

Post by chonsigirl »

That sounds cool!
spot

December Asteroid Shower

Post by spot »

Collision events in the main asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter provide the main source of near-Earth asteroids. Very rarely the solar system experiences family-forming events which boost the rate of Earth impacts in the form of asteroid showers lasting millions of years. We haven't had one in a long long while. What's happening on Friday is the result of a comet breaking up in the nineteenth century, the broken fragments are still whirling round. If you ever get an asteroid shower you'll hear a lot of banging outside and you'd best find a cave to hide in.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Space and Astronomy”