Comet Holmes

spot

Comet Holmes

Post by spot »

Would anyone like to look at a naked-eye comet over the next few days? The full story's at http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observin ... 75326.html

Amateur astronomers the world over have been stunned and amazed by the weirdest new object to appear in the sky in memory. And it's one of the brightest, too. [...] For no apparent reason, the comet had brightened about a millionfold to shine at close to magnitude 2.5. That made it plain to see even in the bright moonlight and through all but the worst light pollution. It looked truly starlike; even high telescopic magnification barely resolved it as anything larger at first. But within a day it had expanded into a perfectly round, bright little disk with a tiny nucleus as seen in binoculars and telescopes. It looked like no comet ever seen.

Kudos for anyone who reports seeing it!
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Galbally

Comet Holmes

Post by Galbally »

COOL! Thanks for that spot.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Bryn Mawr

Comet Holmes

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Too damned cloudy tonight - I'll try again tomorrow

Comet Holmes

Post by 911 »

So, we're seeing it from the tail to the comet as it is going away from us, is that the way I'm reading it?

I'll take a look tonight and see if I see it. Should be cool.

The next time the Red Sox are in the World series, check the skys and if you see anything, put money on the Red Sox to win! :D
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
spot

Comet Holmes

Post by spot »

The comet's out between Mars and Jupiter so the tail, if one forms, is pointing away from us and you'd not see much of it - if it stays bright long enough you'll see it creep out to a sideways view but at the moment any tail is streaming away from the viewer.

Tails always point in a line from the Sun through the comet outward, it's the photon pressure that streams it. The direction of movement of the comet is immaterial. It's like old wind-driven ships with their pennant flags streaming toward the bows, nobody these days draws that right.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Comet Holmes

Post by chonsigirl »

This is the photo we looked at in school today, it was an interesting topic to discuss on science.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Attached files

Return to “Space and Astronomy”