Gravity.....(?)

K.Snyder

Gravity.....(?)

Post by K.Snyder »

After taking an interest in how our planet as well as other planets were formed, I have learned that gravity is the largest factor, in which protoplanetary disks collect an amount of debris, gas, or both and form based on its own gravitational pull -- correct?

I have also learned that the moon is actually what is left over from the Earth's development, and the reason that the Moon orbits the Earth is due to both planets' opposing gravitational pull. Meaning that the Moons gravitational pull within its self is in contrast to Earths gravitational pull(with an exact amount of gravity to sustain its orbit around Earth) which is the only reason that it does not fall to Earth -- Is that correct?

If those factors are correct, then is it an unreasonable assumption to suggest that the Moon will eventually crash into the Earth due to the Moon having less of a gravitational pull because it is smaller in size, and that it is slowly inching its way toward us?
Rapunzel

Gravity.....(?)

Post by Rapunzel »

Actually, the exact opposite is happening and the moon is, in actual fact, moving slowly away from us!

I don't know the exact rate without looking it up, but it's probably a few cm's per year.

However, one has to consider the affect the moon has on us and on our tides and weather formations and wonder how we will be affected once it's gravitational pull no longer affects us!

(Sorry, lot of FX in that sentence!) ;)
Rapunzel

Gravity.....(?)

Post by Rapunzel »

K.Snyder

Gravity.....(?)

Post by K.Snyder »

Kind of weird that it has an opposite affect....

I have read a little more on the subject and have come across this fact on nineplanets.org.

"The Earth's rotation carries the Earth's bulges slightly ahead of the point directly beneath the Moon. This means that the force between the Earth and the Moon is not exactly along the line between their centers producing a torque on the Earth and an accelerating force on the Moon. This causes a net transfer of rotational energy from the Earth to the Moon, slowing down the Earth's rotation by about 1.5 milliseconds/century and raising the Moon into a higher orbit by about 3.8 centimeters per year."

I have to say, I respect Newton and Einstein alot more now than I have in the past.

Astrology is very intriguing.

And yes because the moon has an affect on the earth I wonder how Earth will maintain its balance. Although 3.8 centimeters doesnt seem like enough to worry about at the present moment.

whats almost as intriguing is the possibility of water being on mars and its potential for sustaining life. I personally beleive that it is too optimistic, but to hear the way alot of scientist talk, it is a possibility that plants may be able to sustain life, thus the opening of the consumption of Carbon-dioxide and the production of Oxygen(I think)(dont know how true that is, or if its just a rumor, but none the less very interesting).
K.Snyder

Gravity.....(?)

Post by K.Snyder »

Ok so the moon(from what I am understanding)is slowing the Earths rotation, thus will keep it from being subject to the suns gravitational pull and ultimatly slowing down global warming?

Tell everyone I have a resolution for the global warming contraversy.(ha)

We impact the moon with atom bombs on the opposite side of its own rotation, which will slow the moons rotation ultimatly drawing it closer to the Earth by Earths gravitational pull. Reverse the process so as to create an even greater gravitational pull on Earth from what it is now, complimaints of the moon.(HA)

Just kidding.

I crack myself up!

PS: Might need a pretty big bomb.

Oh, :yh_think and we might wonder off in the galaxy.
chonsigirl

Gravity.....(?)

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, so when we think we are gravitating towards another person, we are really pulling away?

:)
Jives

Gravity.....(?)

Post by Jives »

Here's some of the latest research, K, gravity, although it is the most influential force in the Universe, is also the weakest.

Don't believe me? See that glass of water on the table? Pick it up. The entire force of all of the Earth's gravity was holding that glass down, yet you picked it up easily.

You are stronger than all the gravity on Earth.

Why is gravity so weak, when all other forces are so strong.? The latest research suggests that when superstring theory and 11th dimensional theory is combined, you have an almost infinite number of alternate universes coexisting in a very small space next to all matter.

Scentists now think that another Universe, far from us, is leaking "supergravity" out. By the time it gets to us, it is weak. Just like a distant shout from a mountainside. This also implies that the other universe is far different from ours and you could not exist there.

It's all been simplified for you and I, and put out in this cool special which you can view here:

"The Elegant Universe"

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

Check it out, it WILL rock you.:cool:
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Rapunzel

Gravity.....(?)

Post by Rapunzel »

K.Snyder wrote: Kind of weird that it has an opposite affect....

I have to say, I respect Newton and Einstein alot more now than I have in the past.

Astrology is very intriguing.

And yes because the moon has an affect on the earth I wonder how Earth will maintain its balance. Although 3.8 centimeters doesnt seem like enough to worry about at the present moment.

Astrology IS intriguing, but astrology is the study of stars. What you are talking about is more like Astronomy or Geophysics.

I, too, have a lot of respect for physicists, especially as they cannot always prove their theories but still know they are right. It's quite sad when you read of people who were so ahead of their time that they advanced theories which were scorned by their peers, but which are now proved to be true! One wonders if the scorn shown them actually stopped them from following up their theories with further advancements.

Some books I have recommended before are those by Russell Stannard, they include "Uncle Albert and the Quantum Quest" and "The time and Space of Uncle Albert" Don't be put off because they're children's books because they make a difficult subject very easy to understand. It's a fun and interesting journey through the world of atoms, molecules, electrons and quarks.

I wouldn't worry too much about the moon's trajectory leading away from us.

The moon has been with us for the last 4.6 billion years, so it's probably good for at least that much again! And as for global warming, we're actually at the end of an interglacial and heading towards the next Ice Age, and global warming is one of the reasons why we're not ploughing straight into it!

I worry more about the fact that England is slowly sinking beneath the waves! The south coast is tipping slowly downwards and being eroded by the sea. The eroded sediment is washed in suspension around the coastline by the tidal currents and up towards Scotland where sedimentation occurs. So Scotland is gradually growing in height and width whilst the south coast is being eroded away. Imagine the whole of the UK gradually tipping up like a plate that you lift gradually from the table by tipping one side up. Well, Scotland is at the top and the south coast is at the bottom! However, the erosion is so gradual, at just a few mm's per annum, that its not going to be a major event in my lifetime, or in my children or grandchildrens lifetimes. ;)
Rapunzel

Gravity.....(?)

Post by Rapunzel »

Diuretic wrote: I think Galileo is the poster boy for this one.

Oh I agree, he most definitely qualifies!

Galileo Galilei

Astronomer / Mathematician

Galileo's achievements include: demonstrating that the velocities of falling bodies are not proportional to their weights; showing that the path of a projectile is a parabola; building the first astronomical telescope; coming up with the ideas behind Newton's laws of motion; and confirming the Copernican theory of the solar system. He was denounced for heretical views by the church in Rome, tried by the Inquisition, and forced to renounce his belief that the planets revolved around the sun.

Extra credit: The Vatican officially recognized the validity of Galileo's work in 1993.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Gravity.....(?)

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Gravity ................i though you'd found a cure for saggy wottsit's .... oh well back to the over shoulder boulder holder's.:(
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
K.Snyder

Gravity.....(?)

Post by K.Snyder »

Jives wrote: Here's some of the latest research, K, gravity, although it is the most influential force in the Universe, is also the weakest.

Don't believe me? See that glass of water on the table? Pick it up. The entire force of all of the Earth's gravity was holding that glass down, yet you picked it up easily.

You are stronger than all the gravity on Earth.

:

:yh_think hmm.....If I were stronger than all of the gravity on Earth, wouldnt I be able to jump into outerspace?

Maybe gravity has its certain levels of strength at different points in the atmosphere.(lower - higher)(atleast thats my observation)

Also, If we were to jump on top of buildings wouldnt we be able to jump higher and heigher according to the height of the buildings in which we were jumping because the gravity gets weaker the higher we ascend upward?(obviously after "you" were to be past a certain altitude)

Just a question. Maybe a stupid one or not I have no idea.
spot

Gravity.....(?)

Post by spot »

K.Snyder wrote: :yh_think hmm.....If I were stronger than all of the gravity on Earth, wouldnt I be able to jump into outerspace?

Maybe gravity has its certain levels of strength at different points in the atmosphere.(lower - higher)(atleast thats my observation)

Also, If we were to jump on top of buildings wouldnt we be able to jump higher and heigher according to the height of the buildings in which we were jumping because the gravity gets weaker the higher we ascend upward?(obviously after "you" were to be past a certain altitude)

Just a question. Maybe a stupid one or not I have no idea.Yes, but the effect's minimal within current building heights. The difference in how high you jump for a given amount of push is... off my head, 1/4000th of the height if you're on top of a mile-high building.

You can jump into outer space if your push starts you at 21000 miles an hour, so that's another qualified yes.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Gravity.....(?)

Post by spot »

Rapunzel wrote: Astrology IS intriguing, but astrology is the study of stars. What you are talking about is more like Astronomy or Geophysics.Whut??

Rapunzel, either you've been at the sherry again or you're trying to win this year's Russell Grant Prize for bringing psychic sensitivity into mainstream science.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Jives

Gravity.....(?)

Post by Jives »

Rapunzel wrote: Astrology IS intriguing, but astrology is the study of stars. What you are talking about is more like Astronomy or Geophysics.. ;)

She is absolutely right. I'll add Astrophysics.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
spot

Gravity.....(?)

Post by spot »

Jives wrote: She is absolutely right. I'll add Astrophysics.She is?? I thought Astrology was predicting the future from the position of the planets, but I may have got the wrong end of the stick. Where do the stars come into it?
K.Snyder

Gravity.....(?)

Post by K.Snyder »

spot wrote: Yes, but the effect's minimal within current building heights. The difference in how high you jump for a given amount of push is... off my head, 1/4000th of the height if you're on top of a mile-high building.

You can jump into outer space if your push starts you at 21000 miles an hour, so that's another qualified yes.

Right, so therefore gravity has to be stronger than me as I am unable to generate that kind of strength through my legs. Right?

Im not trying to be an antogonist, but this to me seems logical.

To me I really dont beleive anyone knows the exact function of gravity, and/or anything else that purtains to space.....Im just not buying the whole blackhole theorys or string theorys as of yet. To me they just sound like an attempt to produce more theorys backed up by jiberish.....

When does philosophy end and science begin??

Is there a real way to understand the force of gravity without knowing the limit of space, I dont think so in my own opinion.
spot

Gravity.....(?)

Post by spot »

K.Snyder wrote: Is there a real way to understand the force of gravity without knowing the limit of space, I dont think so in my own opinion.One can never understand it. One can measure it and make predictions of what will happen in given situations. That's all science ever claims to achieve.
K.Snyder

Gravity.....(?)

Post by K.Snyder »

spot wrote: Yes, but the effect's minimal within current building heights. The difference in how high you jump for a given amount of push is... off my head, 1/4000th of the height if you're on top of a mile-high building.

Very well.

Then when they have Mile high basketball tournaments I will sign up.
downag

Gravity.....(?)

Post by downag »

Spaceflight 101:

I can't remember if it is 18,000 or 24,000 Miles Per Hour is the "escape" velocity for a rocket to escape the gravity of the Earth and attain "orbit". Maybe less to just keep going straight out.

If one could exert a constant counter to the pull of gravity, one could theoretically, "jump" away from the planet. Alas, how to do it????

d:D
K.Snyder

Gravity.....(?)

Post by K.Snyder »

downag wrote: Spaceflight 101:

I can't remember if it is 18,000 or 24,000 Miles Per Hour is the "escape" velocity for a rocket to escape the gravity of the Earth and attain "orbit"

We try to go that fast in our race cars.:cool:
Rapunzel

Gravity.....(?)

Post by Rapunzel »

K.Snyder wrote: :yh_think hmm.....If I were stronger than all of the gravity on Earth, wouldnt I be able to jump into outerspace?

Just a question. Maybe a stupid one or not I have no idea.

Gravity does vary - but not by much!

However, don't forget that, although your pull is stronger than the pull of gravity, you are also weighed down by the weight of air! Air is not a nothingness.

Air pressure is the force exerted on you by the weight of tiny particles of air (air molecules). Although air molecules are invisible, they still have weight and take up space. Since there's a lot of "empty" space between air molecules, air can be compressed to fit in a smaller volume.

When it's compressed, air is said to be "under high pressure". Air at sea level is what we're used to, in fact, we're so used to it that we forget we're actually feeling air pressure all the time!

How much pressure are you under? Earth's atmosphere is pressing against each square inch of you with a force of 1 kilogram per square centimeter (14.7 pounds per square inch). The force on 1,000 square centimeters (a little larger than a square foot) is about a ton!

Why doesn't all that pressure squash me? Remember that you have air inside your body too, that air balances out the pressure outside so you stay nice and firm and not squishy. ;)

Hope that helps! :D
Rapunzel

Gravity.....(?)

Post by Rapunzel »

K.Snyder wrote: Right, so therefore gravity has to be stronger than me as I am unable to generate that kind of strength through my legs. Right?

Im not trying to be an antogonist, but this to me seems logical.

To me I really dont beleive anyone knows the exact function of gravity, and/or anything else that purtains to space.....Im just not buying the whole blackhole theorys or string theorys as of yet. To me they just sound like an attempt to produce more theorys backed up by jiberish.....

When does philosophy end and science begin??

Is there a real way to understand the force of gravity without knowing the limit of space, I dont think so in my own opinion.

I know I've quoted him several times, but I just love the work of Russell Stannard!

Here is a quote from him:

So gravity affects space. It also affects time.

Did you know, for instance, that time runs faster upstairs than it does downstairs?

So, if you are late doing your homework, you’d be able to work faster at the top of a tall building than at street level. Your mind will work faster and you will be able to write quicker.

Not that I recommend it. For one thing you will age quicker and die sooner.

For another, the effect is so absolutely tiny, you would need highly sophisticated scientific equipment to be able detect any difference at all.

But the effect is there and has been measured.

And out in space, especially close to black holes where gravity is extremely strong, the rate at which time passes depends very much on exactly where you are placed relative to the hole itself.

This is from The Amazing World of Albert Enstein

A Russell Stannard Conference

http://www.educa.rcanaria.es/fundoro/ei ... ell_en.htm
spot

Gravity.....(?)

Post by spot »

Diuretic wrote: First, get a really long run-up :DI'm not sure people quite grasp how powerful the rockets that take things from ground level to out of earth orbit really are. The unit of acceleration is the G and 1G is the rate at which you accelerate if you drop off the side of a cliff. A car going from 0 to 60 miles an hour in 5 seconds accelerates at just over half that rate, 0.54G, and it's quite a kick in the back when it happens.

Bodies tend to fail if they're accelerated at more than 4G for many seconds so that's a fair figure for a maximum. "The human threshold is around 7.5 G's for a trained pilot" in a protective suit, for just a few seconds. NASA limits acceleration for longer periods than that to a maximum of 4G. You'd have to put up with that extreme acceleration for over 5 minutes to reach escape velocity. If you stay below 2G and allow less fit people than astronauts to go into space you need to burn the engines for 16 minutes to go that fast.

Jules Verne wrote of travelling to the moon in a capsule launched by cannon, but he ignored the effects of acceleration on his crew - perhaps he thought cushions would be enough. A capsule in a 10km barrel would need accelerating at over 4000G from end to end to reach escape velocity at the muzzle, and the 10km trip down the barrel would only take 2 seconds, but that's only a fiftieth of the acceleration a bullet gets in a rifle barrel. I wonder whether anyone's costed it out for sending up supplies and parts for a permanent colony? Passing planes would need to be kept at a distance, it would make too much noise to site the cannon near any housing. Other than that, it's a winner.
Rapunzel

Gravity.....(?)

Post by Rapunzel »

Rapunzel wrote:

How much pressure are you under? Earth's atmosphere is pressing against each square inch of you with a force of 1 kilogram per square centimeter (14.7 pounds per square inch). The force on 1,000 square centimeters (a little larger than a square foot) is about a ton!

Why doesn't all that pressure squash me? Remember that you have air inside your body too, that air balances out the pressure outside so you stay nice and firm and not squishy. ;)

So now you have to consider...............

what will happen if air pressure lessens by any great degree?

What if our internal pressure becomes greater than the air pressure surrounding us?

Will we all explode??? :confused:

:yh_rotfl

Return to “Space and Astronomy”