Freak Rock to Buzz Earth

Tombstone

Freak Rock to Buzz Earth

Post by Tombstone »

Astronomers are watching a "potentially hazardous asteroid" passing close to Earth this month.

Toutatis (or asteroid 4179), a 3-mile-wide space rock, will come within 960,000 miles of Earth on Sept. 29.

Although it is too far away to panic about, Toutatis is the largest known rock to come this close to earth in more than a century.

Since its orbit is so eccentric (it can't be predicted for more than a few hundred years in the future), astronomers want to use the flyby to learn as much about Toutatis as possible.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
RedSoxFan

Freak Rock to Buzz Earth

Post by RedSoxFan »

Tombstone wrote: Astronomers are watching a "potentially hazardous asteroid" passing close to Earth this month.

Toutatis (or asteroid 4179), a 3-mile-wide space rock, will come within 960,000 miles of Earth on Sept. 29.

Although it is too far away to panic about, Toutatis is the largest known rock to come this close to earth in more than a century.

Since its orbit is so eccentric (it can't be predicted for more than a few hundred years in the future), astronomers want to use the flyby to learn as much about Toutatis as possible.
I think this is cool. Im glad that it wont hit us, but one day......
I try to please one person a day. Today is not your day, and tomorrow looks bad too.
Tombstone

Freak Rock to Buzz Earth

Post by Tombstone »

RedSoxFan wrote: I think this is cool. Im glad that it wont hit us, but one day......
Yeah, and you know Murphy's Law. The one that will get us will be the one that we *don't see!
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.

Return to “Space and Astronomy”