The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

The Narnia chronicles were amongst my favourite reads as a kid - I still re-read them now and again.

I can't wait for the movie in early December! It looks beautiful - clearly the impact of the LOTR films has been felt in how in the film looks.

And Tilda Swinton will make an excellent Jadis. Wonder if they will make any of the others - I love The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Silver Chair.

Anyone else looking forward to this one?
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

It is a beautiful religious allegory, and the upcoming movie seems to be a faithful rendition of it.
Clatteringford

Post by Clatteringford »

Definately one to watch. Im more of a Harry Potter fan tho and cant wait for the next film and book to come out.

http://www.clatteringford.com
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Harry isn't as exciting as the old stuff, never got into any of those books, although my students do read them.
SweetDarlin

Post by SweetDarlin »

Yavanna wrote: The Narnia chronicles were amongst my favourite reads as a kid - I still re-read them now and again.

Anyone else looking forward to this one?They WERE my favorite books and are still among the top 10... I cried when I first saw the preview a few months ago in theaters... It opens on My 40th Birthday... guess where I'll be!????

:-6
[FONT=Georgia]

[/FONT]
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

I felt much the same about the LOTR films, SweetDarlin - I even went to see some film I didn't care about just to catch the trailer for ROTK :D

I'm not a Christian but the allegory is very moving in The Lion et al ; a lion as Christ is a very powerful and beautiful image. I do wish that the evil one wasn't (a) necessarily a woman and (b) a witch though. A tad irritating. :thinking:

I love Harry Potter too! Can't wait for the GoF.
observer1

Post by observer1 »

One of my teachers read us The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe when I was a child! I LOVED that story! Bought the collection for my daughter. But she didn't read them, I don't think. Not sure where the collection is, but I'd love to read the whole thing! I hope they bring the movie out over here, in the states!! :o
gimli3

Post by gimli3 »

Wonderful story -- wonderful series!

I remember hearing this story on the radio "Children's Hour" (UK) back in the 1950's (I think).

I was stunned and have been ever since.

Recent criticism of the Narnia series by another children's author have been very unfortunate -- and modern stories are nowhere near as good as these.
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

I'm sure it will be released in the US, observer1. And if anyone wants to read the books, there is a collection called The Chronicles of Narnia.

I always had a fondness for the faun, Mr Tumnus. Nothing pervy, you understand. Ahem. ;)
sherry

Post by sherry »

My daughter is just reading these now. With a little help from her mummy;)

She's actually reading the books which were given to me by my big sister when I was 8 and it has such a lovely feeling of re-reading them again with her.

She's also got the audio CD's as well, I find these a life saver in the car on long journeys. We also have all the HP's on CD as well as I'm a little obsessed.:o

I can't wait for GOF either, I hope they get better as they go on, I was so disappointed with the Philosphers stone and chamber of secrets. The prisoner of Azkaban was a little better so I have my fingers crossed for the 4th.
SweetDarlin

Post by SweetDarlin »

I bought my tickets yesterday... 3:45 showing on Dec 9th

WOOOOHOOOOO!
[FONT=Georgia]

[/FONT]
booradley

Post by booradley »

my youngest is reading "the lion, the witch and the wardrobe" (open reading book for school) it's the first one in ages he's really enjoyed and gone to bed just so he can READ.

"five children and it" next. It's so much better when you can choose for them.
sherry

Post by sherry »

Five children and it was one of my favourites as a child. Has he read the wouldbe goods yet and the treasure seekers?
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

SnoozeControl wrote: I just saw the previews for this and it looks wonderful! Another one that looks great is "King Kong."
Snooze, I just saw the previews for King Kong when Bullet and my son and I went to see Jarhead. THAT is going to be one cool movie!!

This (The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe) also looks very good. Lots of great flicks coming out soon!!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Sweetdarlin, I've just bought tickets for LWW on 8 December ; can't wait! It's getting really good reviews.

I also really enjoyed Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, even though there wasn't enough Snape in it. You can never have too much Snape. :sneaky:
LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

My younger daughter was never one to read for pleasure until TLOR came out. She saw the movies and couldn't wait to get her hands on the books.

She loves the previews for Narnia and wants the series of books for Christmas.
Sandi

LilacDragon

Post by LilacDragon »

SnoozeControl wrote: *drool*

Isn't he awesome! I could watch Robinhood Prince of Thieves all day just to see him die at the end.

He is also in a movie called "Truly, Madly, Deeply" in which he plays a ghost. A great romantic movie that I would kill to get a copy of.
Sandi

Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Love Actually is the film you're thinking of. Another terrible film along the lines of Notting Hill and Four Weddings and a Funeral. Sick-making load of crap :D

Alan Rickman is fabulous, however. But it's particularly his playing of Severus Snape I love. I could spread him on toast and eat him for breakfast in that role! :sneaky:

Attached files
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

LMAO - I know! I've read and re-read the books many times. You see, I have a thing for bad boys with a sardonic wit, a streak of genius and a dubious moral code. It explains why I'm not happily married with 2.4 kids and a labrador dog. :p

Seriously though, I love Snape's character - it's a maelstrom of complexity and wit. And as to his loyalties.....well, I'm firmly of the camp which believes he and Dumbledore had pre-arranged Dumbledore's death. When Dumbledore says "Severus...please....." he's not asking Snape to refrain from murder but is reminding him of their agreement to kill him off if necessary to preserve the Order.

I think we'll find Snape was always on the side of good in the last book, but by then it will be too late - Harry or Voldy will have killed him. *sigh*

Now you've got me started on one of my pet subjects.:p
Valerie100

Post by Valerie100 »

I've never read the books. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe was one of my favorite cartoons, though, when I was a kid -- so was Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen."
Eddie Rex

Post by Eddie Rex »

I remember coming home from school on those dark winter evenings of the 1990s and the first thing i would watch was a tv series about the lion the witch and the wardrobe on the BBC. Very enjoyable and i shall look forward to seeing it on the big screen.

Eddie Rex.

(George Best 1946 - 2005. RIP With my deepest respect). :-6
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Yeah eddie, I remember that show as well on the BBC, but I thought it was 80s? It was great, well when I was 15 it was anyway, I wonder if this film is going to be any good, I was convinved that the Lord of the Rings was going to be rubbish, but I suppose I was wrong on that one. ;)
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

That BBC version made me giggle - the kid who played Lucy (very sweet) was so Home Counties it was untrue!:D

I'd love it if they followed this film up with others from the chronicles - I love The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Reepicheep!) and The Silver Chair.

On a serious note, I think the attraction of these fantasy films (including the LOTR triology) is that they have a strong spiritual theme and context - even if it's not explicitly religious. That's lacking in so many Hollywood-based films these days that it comes as a welcome change. Not that I don't like a good action thriller or heist movie or rom-com now and again, but they're the equivalent of fast food - quick movie-calories and nothing substantive about them.
Eddie Rex

Post by Eddie Rex »

Yeah i think it was the 1980s...Anyway i still enjoyed watching it.

Which part of Ireland are you from Galbally?:-6
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Bet it's Dublin. Sounds like a Dubliner. :p
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Yavanna wrote: Bet it's Dublin. Sounds like a Dubliner. :p

Actually no, I'm not a Dub, but I have lived there, its a great town but very expensive. Actually I was born in Birmingham so if anything I am a brummie, though having lived now in Ireland since I was 10 I have an Irish accent and I am quite Irish in all things, all I will say is that its somewhere in the South East of the Republic, Jennyswan could tell you, but I won't it's best to keep a bit of mystery in life.

As to eddie and yavanna, I think Eddie is in Manchester, and Yavanna is in London, West. Thats a guess, am I close?

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Nope - I'm in Cornwall
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Yavanna wrote: Nope - I'm in Cornwall

If only I had said "west of London" I would be alright! Still, Cornwall is a nice spot!

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Rant mode Yeah, we particularly love the enormous amounts of rain and emmets who come to live here, push up house prices and turn every quaint Cornish fishing village into a yuppy heaven of vegan restaurants, 4x4 jeeps driven at speed down narrow lanes and where the current pasty a la mode is brie and cranberry Rant mode off :thinking:

Anyhoo, I heard that The Lion, the W, and the W has got some pretty poor reviews. Alas, rottentomatoes has some which say that the film clunks along, that the kiddie actors (aside from Lucy) are ill-prepared and that it's too derivative of the LOTR films. One also said that Aslan's death scene is unintentionally hilarious - a kind of muppet version of The Passion of the Christ. I do hope I don't start snorting with laughter like I did whilst watching Alexander......:-2 :p
Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

i only read the Lion, Witch, Wardrobe. what are the others like?

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Excellent. If you like Lion, you should definitely read the others ; I don't like The Horse and His Boy much but the others are great.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Yavanna wrote: Rant mode Yeah, we particularly love the enormous amounts of rain and emmets who come to live here, push up house prices and turn every quaint Cornish fishing village into a yuppy heaven of vegan restaurants, 4x4 jeeps driven at speed down narrow lanes and where the current pasty a la mode is brie and cranberry Rant mode off :thinking:

Anyhoo, I heard that The Lion, the W, and the W has got some pretty poor reviews. Alas, rottentomatoes has some which say that the film clunks along, that the kiddie actors (aside from Lucy) are ill-prepared and that it's too derivative of the LOTR films. One also said that Aslan's death scene is unintentionally hilarious - a kind of muppet version of The Passion of the Christ. I do hope I don't start snorting with laughter like I did whilst watching Alexander......:-2 :p

As to your initial rant, I know, I know, we have managed to avoid this in Ireland by banning anyone from South County Dublin to eat in any other county, so far so good. As to the Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Well I loved Narnia when I was young, like I loved Tolkein, and lots of other things, Harry Potter nowadays is good too, but I really would like to see a big budget movie that was actually made for people over 25 once in a while, I know the marketing says this is impossible, but I just find myself getting so bored in the Cinema nowadays. Actually what I would love to see them do is attmept to make a movie out of one of Iain M. Banks "Culture" Sci-Fi books that would be demented! Never happen though.

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

I'm going next Thursday when it opens here in the UK. I saw a documentary about the film last night and I have to say, it did look a bit too LOTR-ish. I suppose comparisons are inevitable but they could have been a bit more daring. Ah well....

Galbally, the last film that I saw which was for over 25s was Crash - the 2005 race-relations film. My, that was depressing. The Constant Gardener is meant to be good but I haven't got around to watching that yet.
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Excellent! I must say, Tilda Swinton looks fab as Jadis
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Yavanna wrote: Nope - I'm in Cornwall

You know, I just remembered that your location is actually put on your avatar sidebar, so If I had just read it properly then I would have known, but oh no, too complicated for me, better off just guessing, and I have a honours degree in Chemistry just in case you were worried that the education system was turning out morons, well, obviously, it is. :-2

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Well, I didn't like to point out the obvious :D

If it's any consolation, I have degrees in English Lit and I still can't fix a leaky tap. It's a poor show, really. :p

Totally off-subject, did anyone see Peter Jackson at a recent awards event ? The guy has lost about 8 stone, was wearing contacts instead of glances and looked surprisingly fanciable!
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

Yavanna wrote: Well, I didn't like to point out the obvious :D

If it's any consolation, I have degrees in English Lit and I still can't fix a leaky tap. It's a poor show, really. :p

Totally off-subject, did anyone see Peter Jackson at a recent awards event ? The guy has lost about 8 stone, was wearing contacts instead of glances and looked surprisingly fanciable!

Thank you for not making fun of me when you had the chance, though you may regret it, as for Jackson, thats interesting, but will his movie stink?

Le Rochefoucauld.

My dad 1986.
Yavanna

Post by Yavanna »

Dunno - I probably won't go and see King Kong. I remember being heartbroken as a kid watching the original. When the planes attack him on top of the Empire State Building.....tragic......

I saw The Lion et al tonight. SPOILERS - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN PURE

I was disappointed, I'm afraid. It lacked......something - emotional literacy ? Aslan is such a great character, but didn't come across as majestic as I hoped he would be. I wanted to see more power and fierceness, as well as gentleness (the character always reminds me of Blake's "Tyger, Tyger in the night" poem - the fireceness of God as well as his gentleness) He was a tad cheesy for me. His scenes were far too short.

I liked the kid who played Edmund - he had a wonderful expressiveness in his eyes. And Lucy was great.

Tilda Swinton was fab as Jadis - suitably insane and pitiless.

All in all, not as good as I had hoped, though.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”