Crash, the Movie

Accountable

Crash, the Movie

Post by Accountable »

Somebody please watch this and tell me what the point is. Oprah apparently devoted a whole show to this "masterpiece" so I rented it. Absolutely disgusting. The writer obviously thinks everybody born in the US (or who works to become a citizen, come to think of it) is complete crap and void of any redeeming value. :mad:
Clint

Crash, the Movie

Post by Clint »

AC, do you have a link or something? I don't see what you are talking about.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
weeder

Crash, the Movie

Post by weeder »

I thought the movie was fantastic. I had tears running down my face.The point was showing how the actions of complete strangers have a rippling effect. And we do intertwine with others without even knowing it. It also adressed racism, bigotry, anger, poverty, mistrust, and vengence. It also touched on the possibility of " Miracles" When the angry shop owner went out to shoot the locksmith, but shot the little girl instead? There also was quite a bit about love and the power of love.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Clint

Crash, the Movie

Post by Clint »

Clint wrote: AC, do you have a link or something? I don't see what you are talking about.
I get it!!! Crash, the Movie.....sorry about that.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Accountable

Crash, the Movie

Post by Accountable »

Weeder, I guess you have to be a woman to see all that. Or maybe because I've been on my soapbox about bigotry here in the garden. :-2 That doesn't look right but I'm not sure how to fix it. All I saw was a condemnation of mankind, that no matter how good we think we are, we are all racist at heart.

I'd watch it again to see your point, but I'm not sure my blood pressure could take it.
orangesox1

Crash, the Movie

Post by orangesox1 »

I haven't heard of it, but I will try to rent it next time I get a DVD just so I will have an opinion on it.;)
weeder

Crash, the Movie

Post by weeder »

The movie Crash was something I would never have rented ordinarily. I was incredibly surprised . I guess you would call it one of those sub culture b rated movies.. or whatever. Im sorry.. it was good.
Lon

Crash, the Movie

Post by Lon »

Frankly, I thought it was a good film. If everyone that saw this movie couldn't see some of themselves in one or more of the actors, then they are pretty thick in my view. Also, if we are honest, we can laugh about ourselves as well.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Crash, the Movie

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Ive seen the movie but didnt get it either .:confused:
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
pink princess

Crash, the Movie

Post by pink princess »

is it the one where two people drive round deliberately crashing into people and killing them?

or the one sandra bullock was in recently..... or was that just a remake of the one i mentioned above?

can you tell i havent seen either?!
life is what you make it

my boyfriend just proposed to me (05/05/05) and im blissfully happy!! :-4 im engaged!! i have a fiance!! :-4

um..... well thats a bit out of date! im married now! and married life is the best thing in the entire world! with my husband by side my life is complete

:-4
chrisb84uk

Crash, the Movie

Post by chrisb84uk »

Can't say I've ever heard of it personally. Not much of a film person anyway, so that's probably why though. :D
Accountable

Crash, the Movie

Post by Accountable »

No. This is a newer movie than the James Spader one. This is a movie about bigotry. The writer, supposedly, uses car crashes to tie the various stories together.

As I said, it may be because I've been hip-deep in bigotry discussions here in the garden, but I was deeply offended. There were two people in the entire movie who did not have deep, cynical, viscious hate for most people; they were both hispanic (God I hate that term).

It was so obvious, at least to me, that the writer was deeply bigoted and could not imagine even the most heroic person to be free of hate for someone of another color. :mad:
weeder

Crash, the Movie

Post by weeder »

Its not car CRASHES..... Its one crash. Not with James Spader. It is the one with Sandra Bullock. Its all little Cameo roles. Done by some talented people. Some who have had very little public recognition. It also portrays the way bigoted people can change. It trys to give explanations for why some people are bigoted.

Upbringing, bad experience etc........
Wolverine

Crash, the Movie

Post by Wolverine »

I thought it was a pretty good flick.

I am kinda with weeder on this. I didn't see it as the writer taking shots at those born in this country.

I thought he was trying to show everyone how we all interact with eachother. whether we know it or not.

But thinking about it, i do see where Acc might interpret it that way.

I guess i am naive.

Sandra Bullocks character...... didn't care for the way she reacted to the guys at the mall. that was biased. I thought she was a snotty, spoiled witch.

Ryan Phillippe's cop....... horrible what he did. But he spent how much time with Matt Dillon that some of that crap sunk in. Plus, he's a cop. he has seen the absolute worst in people. A good person in a BAD situation.

People's perception is their reality. Matt Dillon's dad(he thought) was put out of work because of Affirmative action. that is his reality.

I liked the movie because it challenged me to rethink my "reality"

Like the store owners.... I honestly don't what the difference is between Arab and Persian. I don't think that makes me a racist or a biggot. just uninformed.

The two "bangers"...... I have no idea what they have had to live thru and deal with growing up. I never had to worry about getting shot at on my home: compared to their perception/reality those not growing up in that kind of neighborhood had it easy. Maybe. But it all has to do with your perceptions/preconceived notions.

Jennifer Esposito.... (hot) her character gets very upset when her partner

(don cheedle) doesn't know that she is Puerto Rican, not mexican. But again, I don't know the difference.

The movie gets you to rethink how you think and what you think about people.

i think that was the point of the film.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Jives

Crash, the Movie

Post by Jives »

Note to self: Avoid this movie like the plague and rent a blockbuster, special-effects laden, mindless-escapist entertainment movie.

Life is complicated enough without beating myself over the head in my spare time.:o
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Wolverine

Crash, the Movie

Post by Wolverine »

Jives wrote: Note to self: Avoid this movie like the plague and rent a blockbuster, special-effects laden, mindless-escapist entertainment movie.

Life is complicated enough without beating myself over the head in my spare time.:o
but not "Battlefield Earth"

what an utter disappointment. the book was amazing. the movie sucked big donkey

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

SOJOURNER

Crash, the Movie

Post by SOJOURNER »

Saw the movie but it was not that memorable to me.

The bigotry verbally expressed was so shocking you had to laugh cause you just didn't believe they said what they did.

It did show that much of the objectionable behavior was when there was someelse there to be an audience -- someone to show off to, see how cool I am.

BUT, one on one, it was different.
weeder

Crash, the Movie

Post by weeder »

Sandra Bullock was a snotty, selfish, spoiled,bitch. Thats why in the end the only friend she had was the maid. Ive known women just like her.

Ryan phillips thought he was so different than Matt Dillon... He discovered he wasnt so different.

Matt Dillon went through an incredible metamorphasis. When that woman trapped in the car started screaming " Dont touch me!' He saw himself for the monster he had become. We discovered that he did have a heart afterall. That is one of the scenes that had me crying.

I lived my whole life in New York, until 10 years ago. 18 of those years was spent in Queens New York. Maybe I can relate to this film because Ive known most of the personalities portrayed in it for most of my life. I was back there last week.Just got back yesterday. Hadnt been there in years. I experienced reverse culture shock during the visit. Discovered Im not A New Yorker anymore. Being there was like watching a movie. I didnt like it.
Accountable

Crash, the Movie

Post by Accountable »

Same thing for me when I go back to rural Louisiana.

I saw the Ryan Phillips scenes as showing what the writer truly thought about white people. That no matter how nice they are, even how nice they believe themselves to be, they are all racist monsters and sooner or later their evil will come forth.
Jives

Crash, the Movie

Post by Jives »

Wolverine wrote: but not "Battlefield Earth"

what an utter disappointment. the book was amazing. the movie sucked big donkey

Hey! Wolverine! You're a BE fan too? MAN! I LOVE THAT BOOK! I'm reading it for the 4th time (and for those of you that don't know, BE is over 3000 pages long) and I just can't believe how awesome that book is. It's Rocky, Indiana Jones, and Star Wars all rolled into one!

And the movie....SUCKS!!!! Who was the bozo that thought they could take the first chapter of the book and make a movie out of it?! It would have to be a trilogy.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
StupidCowboyTricks

Crash, the Movie

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

weeder wrote: Sandra Bullock was a snotty, selfish, spoiled,bitch. Thats why in the end the only friend she had was the maid. Ive known women just like her./ Do you think that her husband was having an affair with his assistant? (he was the mayor)

Ryan phillips thought he was so different than Matt Dillon... He discovered he wasnt so different.

Matt Dillon went through an incredible metamorphasis. When that woman trapped in the car started screaming " Dont touch me!' He saw himself for the monster he had become. We discovered that he did have a heart afterall. That is one of the scenes that had me crying./and though all the performances were good this one got me, I think an academy award nomination or award is in order here.

I lived my whole life in New York, until 10 years ago. 18 of those years was spent in Queens New York. Maybe I can relate to this film because Ive known most of the personalities portrayed in it for most of my life. I was back there last week.Just got back yesterday. Hadn't been there in years. I experienced reverse culture shock during the visit. Discovered Im not A New Yorker anymore. Being there was like watching a movie. I didnt like it....
Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

StupidCowboyTricks

Crash, the Movie

Jives wrote: Note to self: Avoid this movie like the plague and rent a blockbuster, special-effects laden, mindless-escapist entertainment movie.

Don't avoid it but do watch it with someone and do not cheat and restart it. Like Pulp fiction you have to watch it.....see what is going on. What is fun is when you talk to others afterwords and then you begin to see a lot you didn't......lol

StupidCowboyTricks

Crash, the Movie

Accountable wrote: Weeder, I guess you have to be a woman to see all that. Or maybe because I've been on my soapbox about bigotry here in the garden. :-2 That doesn't look right but I'm not sure how to fix it. All I saw was a condemnation of mankind, that no matter how good we think we are, we are all racist at heart.

I'd watch it again to see your point, but I'm not sure my blood pressure could take it.
One can see how you feel that way.:o

jennyswan

Crash, the Movie

Post by jennyswan »

I actually quite liked the movie.

I thought at the beginning it was just about racism but I think at the end of the film the message was more , 'That we are all the same, there is good and bad in everyone no matter what colour or nationality you are'.

I liked the message!!
different

Crash, the Movie

Post by different »

Accountable wrote: All I saw was a condemnation of mankind, that no matter how good we think we are, we are all racist at heart.

We watched this film last night and i couldnt agree with you more, i thought this was one of the worst films i have ever seen, and if this is truly how we all see each other then i dont think there's much point in carrying on. I have absolutely no idea why they felt the need to make this film and i learned absolutely nothing from it. All it did was frustrated me.
Yavanna

Crash, the Movie

Post by Yavanna »

I saw the film back in October and really liked it. I didn't think it was a critique of white people (that rather ignores the behaviour of most of the people in the film, regardless of colour or class) so much as a critique of alienation generally.

You have people living in fear, and fear breeds hate. As Sandra Bullock's character says "I feel angry all the time". About nothing specific, but that generalised rage gets turned on the vulnerable (in her case, on to her housekeeper). Much of the comments and reviews of the movie centre on the race issue - but I think just as important is the class issue, and how the striving for material wealth is a competition with apparent winners and losers.

To me, it was a film about loss of community, and isolation. I thought it was powerful.

I really liked the score too and have the CD.
Bez

Crash, the Movie

Post by Bez »

I have watched the film tonight.....I was upset by the racism at the onset of the film...and the language if i was honest...lost the thread a couple of times. I did feel that people learnt lessons...like the guy who rescued the women from the overturned car. I thought the intertwining of the characters was cleverly done. It certainly went out of its way NOT to be PC. It showed the ugliness of racism but conveyed the fact that at the end of the day...humans are humans.

I am still unsure of the message they were trying to convey. We are watching the 'special features' at the moment. ACC i would reccomend you watch the 'special features' as I'm getting a better understanding of the film now.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
StupidCowboyTricks

Crash, the Movie

Bez wrote: I have watched the film tonight.....I was upset by the racism at the onset of the film...and the language if i was honest...lost the thread a couple of times. I did feel that people learnt lessons...like the guy who rescued the women from the overturned car. I thought the intertwining of the characters was cleverly done. It certainly went out of its way NOT to be PC. It showed the ugliness of racism but conveyed the fact that at the end of the day...humans are humans.

I am still unsure of the message they were trying to convey. We are watching the 'special features' at the moment. ACC i would reccomend you watch the 'special features' as I'm getting a better understanding of the film now.
I loved this movie.....I want to watch it dvd

I think all the acting was superb

Matt Dillons performance gives me goosebumps as I type this.

I think he should at least get nominated for an Academy award, since he wasn't really a lead maybe he could win for best supporting male.

Do you think Sandra Bullocks Hubby was having affair with assistant? It's been a long time since I saw it, I would like to see it again.

Bez

Crash, the Movie

Post by Bez »

StupidCowboyTricks wrote: I loved this movie.....I want to watch it dvd

I think all the acting was superb

Matt Dillons performance gives me goosebumps as I type this.

I think he should at least get nominated for an Academy award, since he wasn't really a lead maybe he could win for best supporting male.

Do you think Sandra Bullocks Hubby was having affair with assistant? It's been a long time since I saw it, I would like to see it again.

If you get to watch it on DVD, watch the 'special features' which is interesting. There's also some music. I really liked the sound rack.
StupidCowboyTricks

Crash, the Movie

Bez wrote: If you get to watch it on DVD, watch the 'special features' which is interesting. There's also some music. I really liked the sound rack.
She the singer was from some Tv series....

But Bez, Do you think that Sandra Bullocks Husband was having affair? If you can watch how the assistant and him act when together......oh yeah in the begining with the cell phone thing she thought it was his assistant calling remember?

Accountable

Crash, the Movie

Post by Accountable »

SnoozeControl wrote: This movie had the feeling of an old Twilight Zone episode... paranoia and suspicion were the prevalent emotions with just a soupcon of hysteria. I found the whole thing unnatural, stilted and really, really annoying!:mad:Thank you.
StupidCowboyTricks

Crash, the Movie

SnoozeControl wrote: This movie had the feeling of an old Twilight Zone episode... paranoia and suspicion were the prevalent emotions with just a soupcon of hysteria. I found the whole thing unnatural, stilted and really, really annoying!:mad:

Twilight Zone was great!

The way it was filmed (IMO) to be kind of Pulp Fictionish.

But didn't you kind of get that "Seven degrees of seperation" feel to it.....That we are all "conected"?

Nomad

Crash, the Movie

Post by Nomad »

SnoozeControl wrote: This movie had the feeling of an old Twilight Zone episode... paranoia and suspicion were the prevalent emotions with just a soupcon of hysteria. I found the whole thing unnatural, stilted and really, really annoying!:mad:

Crapola !

The message !!!!

The essence of complicated human emotions !!!!

Your'e taking it too literally !!!!
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Crash, the Movie

Post by Accountable »

Nomad wrote: Crapola !

The message !!!!

The essence of complicated human emotions !!!!

Your'e taking it too literally !!!!
Crapola!

The movie was a condemnation of mankind, that no matter how good we think we are, we are all racist at heart.

It was too ugly to look on the face of it so you've assigned some kind of euphamism.
Nomad

Crash, the Movie

Post by Nomad »

More crapola....crapola unlimited and to the nth degree ! A condemnation of all of mankind ??? Thats absurd acc. The scene when the two black guys encountered the mayor and his wife on the street and they observed a tense-ness in whitey, that was accurate. It happens every day. It happened to me downtown when someone asked for a light. That doesnt make me a racist ! Its a societal phenomenon. Its our andrenaline, our juices enabling us to protect ourselves if need be.

Theres a huge misunderstanding between the races, they exist, theyre real, tangible. This movie was a reminder of that. There are many degrees that exist from the above scene to the scene in which the cop frisked the execs wife...one is subtle the other not at all.

The point was I think for us to examine how we percieve our brothers and sisters...thats a two way street by the way. The movie didnt exaggerate anything, it merely brought to light the commonality that exists between us. I think you missed the point sir. Its not a documentary, its a spotlight on an age old issue and I think it was meant to stir things up, get people talking....we are, thats great !!!
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Crash, the Movie

Post by Accountable »

Nomad wrote: More crapola....crapola unlimited and to the nth degree ! A condemnation of all of mankind ??? Thats absurd acc. The scene when the two black guys encountered the mayor and his wife on the street and they observed a tense-ness in whitey, that was accurate. It happens every day. It happened to me downtown when someone asked for a light. That doesnt make me a racist ! Its a societal phenomenon. Its our andrenaline, our juices enabling us to protect ourselves if need be.

Theres a huge misunderstanding between the races, they exist, theyre real, tangible. This movie was a reminder of that. There are many degrees that exist from the above scene to the scene in which the cop frisked the execs wife...one is subtle the other not at all.

The point was I think for us to examine how we percieve our brothers and sisters...thats a two way street by the way. The movie didnt exaggerate anything, it merely brought to light the commonality that exists between us. I think you missed the point sir. Its not a documentary, its a spotlight on an age old issue and I think it was meant to stir things up, get people talking....we are, thats great !!!There are no "races," the movie demonized white people almost exclusively and treated Ludakriss' bigotry as a cute joke, and there are an infinite number of ways to get people talking without resorting to this tripe.
BabyRider

Crash, the Movie

Post by BabyRider »

ArnoldLayne wrote: I shall make it a priority to watch this film. It tends to polarise people to quite a degree
Funny, Arnold how this conversation makes you want to see the film, when for me it makes me want to avoid it even more than I did before. Go figure, huh? :yh_bigsmi
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Bez

Crash, the Movie

Post by Bez »

ArnoldLayne wrote: I shall make it a priority to watch this film. It tends to polarise people to quite a degree

My first reaction was racist and foul language...I stuck with it...it was thought provoking. Watch the featurette Arnold...it's worth it and the music was ace.
BabyRider

Crash, the Movie

Post by BabyRider »

ArnoldLayne wrote: I'm intrigued at how a film concerning an emotive subject as racism can divide the opinions of people I would regard as broad and even minded. I shall just have to satisfy my thirst and report on how it tasted
I am neither broad nor even-minded, and I know it, and I'm ok with it. This movie would just p!ss me off, and I know that, too. I will be very interested to hear your review of it, though!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Nomad

Crash, the Movie

Post by Nomad »

Accountable wrote: There are no "races," the movie demonized white people almost exclusively and treated Ludakriss' bigotry as a cute joke, and there are an infinite number of ways to get people talking without resorting to this tripe.

There are races. And they bring different cultures with them. You say race as its a naughty word, its not, its the beauty of it, its what makes our world interesting. Its also what keeps us seperate in so many instances. But thats not really a race issue is it ? Its more of a tolerance issue, tolerance for things that are different than what we are accustomed to.

Tell me acc, how do we get people talking without shocking them ? Before 9/11 no one even thought about Arabs.

Before Martin Luther King no one cared. Except the black population that is. Something as simple as Rosa Parks parking her ass on a bus seat was shocking to people then. But what happened ? Change. Thats what we need...change. This director provided a vehicle for that in his own way. And besides acc, whats it like to live in Detroit or NYC for a black man woman or child ? Dont know ? How could you/me ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Crash, the Movie

Post by Nomad »

BabyRider wrote: I am neither broad nor even-minded, and I know it, and I'm ok with it. This movie would just p!ss me off, and I know that, too. I will be very interested to hear your review of it, though!

Nonsense ! Your one hell of a broad love !:-4
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bez

Crash, the Movie

Post by Bez »

Nomad wrote: There are races. And they bring different cultures with them. You say race as its a naughty word, its not, its the beauty of it, its what makes our world interesting. Its also what keeps us seperate in so many instances. But thats not really a race issue is it ? Its more of a tolerance issue, tolerance for things that are different than what we are accustomed to.

Tell me acc, how do we get people talking without shocking them ? Before 9/11 no one even thought about Arabs.

Before Martin Luther King no one cared. Except the black population that is. Something as simple as Rosa Parks parking her ass on a bus seat was shocking to people then. But what happened ? Change. Thats what we need...change. This director provided a vehicle for that in his own way. And besides acc, whats it like to live in Detroit or NYC for a black man woman or child ? Dont know ? How could you/me ?

But this was not only about Black and white....the black guy called the chinaman a 'chink' (sorry if that offends) and the Iranian guy was really annoyed to be called 'Arab'....there was good, bad, love, hate, betrayal, honesty, theft, people trafficking...it was all there and it's happening all the time in nearly every country...this film bought you so close to it that it made you feel uncomfortable....I got very involved....good job I wasn't in a cinema !!!

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”