Exorcism of Emily Rose

rainbowsmiles

Exorcism of Emily Rose

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Is anyone going to see this movie? I want to see it just for the fact it is based on a true story but if it has too much gore I can't do it. I've seen the Exorcist and still haven't recovered. This one sounds interesting but... if anyone sees it can they post a report please :)

What's it about?

In an extremely rare decision, the Catholic Church officially recognized the demonic possession of a 19 year-old college freshman. Told in terrifying flashbacks, "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" chronicles the haunting trial of the priest accused of negligence resulting in the death of the young girl believed to be possessed. Inspired by true events, the film stars Laura Linney as the lawyer who takes on the task of defending the priest (Tom Wilkinson) who performed the controversial exorcism.
kmhowe72

Exorcism of Emily Rose

Post by kmhowe72 »

I want to see it. as a matter of fact I was talking with another member about it just the othere day. anyway I saw the oringinal exorise. After the first time, it took me about ten more years to see again. This time it wasn't so bad. I like horro movies that have a religion content to it. Not murdering boogie mans. Like nightmare on elm street. the first one was to gorry for me. But the rest was stupid. And so was Chucky.
kmhowe
rainbowsmiles

Exorcism of Emily Rose

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I thought the Exorcist was interesting because it had a ring of truth to it also (was based on some facts) but it was just way too scary for me. :(

Yeah, most horror movies are cheesy. I don't like Chucky or Nightmare on Elm street either. I saw Hellraiser the other day and that was completely idiotic. But when something has been based on fact I always pay attention. At first I thought "another possession" movie but it really sounds interesting... I just have a feeling the "horror" aspect of it all my be a wee bit scary for me. :confused:
BabyRider

Exorcism of Emily Rose

Post by BabyRider »

Well, I've finally seen the previews for it, and yes, I will be seeing it. It won't be for a while, because movies just aren't in the budget, but when it comes out on video, you bet your buns I'll be renting.

Slasher/gore movies do nothing for me. Usually they are so far-fetched that they aren't even entertaining. I don't think this will be like that. Any movie based on real events interests me, and this will probably be more chilling than gory.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

rainbowsmiles

Exorcism of Emily Rose

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Bummer - probably if they had stuck to the real story it would have been more interesting.

'Exorcism of Emily Rose' strays far from the 'true story'

By SEAN AXMAKER

SPECIAL TO THE POST-INTELLIGENCER

"This film is based on a true story," insists the opening credits, the better to stamp this unusual marriage of exorcism thriller and courtroom drama with the seal of seriousness. The claim loses some of its credibility, however, as the secular story is visited by dark forces, nocturnal hauntings, divine intervention and one abrupt shock that feels lifted right out of "The Omen" and its ilk.

"Inspired by" is a more accurate description. The real-life case, which marked the last time the Catholic Church officially recognized a case of demonic possession and sanctioned an exorcism rite, involved a girl named Anneliese Michel in Germany. It ended in her death in 1976 and her parents and priests were put on trial for negligent manslaughter.

"Emily Rose" reimagines the incident in contemporary America, with a small-town girl from a devout family gripped by what is diagnosed by doctors as epilepsy and psychosis, and by her local priest (Tom Wilkinson, his American accent slipping all over the place) as possession.

The genuinely spooky beginning is a triumph of eerie imagery (the visualization of Emily's visions -- eyeballs of passers-by liquefy and run black down their ghoulish faces -- is goose-bump weird) and the squishy, creepy-crawly soundtrack. But the film wants to have it both ways.

The prosecution (Campbell Scott, wasted in a banal part) provides a compelling, logical case. But he's not just battling the shoddy, unconvincing defense mounted by the agnostic defense lawyer (Laura Linney, whose cool intelligence is all that keeps her character from looking like a fool). Director Scott Derrickson loads the film with flashbacks tweaked with horror-movie hysteria, as if sharing "the real story."

It's a pretense of even-handedness. The true story has been reduced to a case for faith. It merely sacrifices all reason to get there.
rainbowsmiles

Exorcism of Emily Rose

Post by rainbowsmiles »

If you like factual events the book this movie is based on is titled: the exorcism of anneliese michel. Apparently the book was written in 1981 and its all the facts on the what happened from beginning to end. :)
venus

Exorcism of Emily Rose

Post by venus »

I too am a fan of the scary movie, but the gorry ones do nothing for me

(actually they scare the pants off a me, and l can't sleep for weeks)

but l love the ones that play on your mind, like the old classics used too.

Its about using your own imagination to scare you, excellent

The Blair witch project! need l say anything else:-3
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
Peg

Exorcism of Emily Rose

Post by Peg »

I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. It's more courtroom drama than scary.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”