Alexander

Accountable

Alexander

Post by Accountable »

Just rented and watched this on DVD. Very neuvo-PC. the Persian king was a coward who ran and hid when he saw he was losing, and all the heroes were gay. The little political jabs throughout distracted me from the mindless gore.

:yh_star :yh_star
chonsigirl

Alexander

Post by chonsigirl »

Actually Accountable, the story was pretty accurate. Little embelishment of course, and the part of Bagoas definitely comes from Renault's book. But the Macedonian/Greek society of the time was that way. Alexander died 3 months after the death of Hephaestion, and they kind of had the Achilles/Patroculos relationship. My favorite part is the taming of Bucephalos, read it from Plutarch for the best version. In the movie the women were there at the horse fair, and I don't think they would have been in real life. I found it annoying that they did not keep the chronological sequence, but it was a good flick. Only movie I went to see when my husband was in the hospital for months, just had to see it! My senior thesis was on Alexander!

I better stop now, you know a lecture on this would be coming soon.................
Wolverine

Alexander

Post by Wolverine »

chonsigirl wrote: Actually Accountable, the story was pretty accurate. Little embelishment of course, and the part of Bagoas definitely comes from Renault's book. But the Macedonian/Greek society of the time was that way. Alexander died 3 months after the death of Hephaestion, and they kind of had the Achilles/Patroculos relationship. My favorite part is the taming of Bucephalos, read it from Plutarch for the best version. In the movie the women were there at the horse fair, and I don't think they would have been in real life. I found it annoying that they did not keep the chronological sequence, but it was a good flick. Only movie I went to see when my husband was in the hospital for months, just had to see it! My senior thesis was on Alexander!

I better stop now, you know a lecture on this would be coming soon.................
yeah it was fairly accurate. i busted out laughing in the theater when Hopkin's character said that there was a conspiracy to have Alexander killed.

a whole JFK magic bullet thing again. lol

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Nomad

Alexander

Post by Nomad »

There are two out now I think ?

One with Brad Pitt and the other with Colin Farrell ???

Any preferences here ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
capt_buzzard

Alexander

Post by capt_buzzard »

That Colin Farrell is a louth. :mad:
MicahLorain

Alexander

Post by MicahLorain »

I heard this film was awful so I intend to rent the DVD as soon as possible. I would much rather watch a flawed historical epic than yet another mindless obscene 'comedy.'
Accountable

Alexander

Post by Accountable »

MicahLorain wrote: I heard this film was awful so I intend to rent the DVD as soon as possible. I would much rather watch a flawed historical epic than yet another mindless obscene 'comedy.'
I agree. I just watched diary of a Mad Black Woman. It wasn't a mindless obscene comedy, it was obscenely mindless! Stay away unless you love good gospel music so much you're willing to sit through a whole movie to hear 1 good song.
Wolverine

Alexander

Post by Wolverine »

Nomad wrote: There are two out now I think ?

One with Brad Pitt and the other with Colin Farrell ???

Any preferences here ?

nope. Collin was "Alexander the Great"

Pitt played Achilles in "Troy" about the Trojan War that Homer based his Illyad and Odessey books on.

Troy wasn't too bad. Long.

Alexander was long. too long. but such is the fate of any Oliver Stone film.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

lady cop

Alexander

Post by lady cop »

ok i watched it today...it was overwrought drek. terrible. i LOVE history...LIVE for history. but this thing was awful.
Accountable

Alexander

Post by Accountable »

lady cop wrote: ok i watched it today...it was overwrought drek. terrible. i LOVE history...LIVE for history. but this thing was awful.
I agree with every word. Could not have said it better. Would have used the same words myself.

What does drek mean?
kmhowe72

Alexander

Post by kmhowe72 »

I haven't seen it yet but I heared it was good.
kmhowe
Bez

Alexander

Post by Bez »

I watched and enjoyed ...I love historical epics and still like watching the old stuff....Spartacus, Jason and the Argonauts, Ben hur...all that stuff. Special effects look a bit dated but doesn't worry me. These films really had 'heart.'

Anyone seen 'Flying Daggers'? Good special effects but it took ages to get use to the sub-titles.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”