Pharaoh's Army

tabby

Pharaoh's Army

Post by tabby »

Another overlooked movie that I would put in my list of favorites is "Pharaoh's Army" (1995) . It's an independent film that was shown in theaters only briefly and never received any publicity. I accidentally caught it on PBS one day and loved it. It's stark, low budget and didn't end the way I would have liked and yet I'm very devoted to it! Sometimes I surprise myself.

Anything with Chris Cooper and Patricia Clarkson has to be good.

The plot summary reads "During the American Civil War, a Union Army captain leads his rag-tag cavalry troop up a misty creek to a remote farm to steal enemy (Confederate) livestock. The farm is worked by Sarah Anders, whose husband is away fighting for the Confederate Army. Far from the great armies and battlefields, a very private civil war erupts. The Captain and Sarah are pulled apart by the war's undertow into choices they can not fully control or understand. Each character in this drama must decide whether loyalty will be paid in blood. This story has a relevance to current partisan conflicts. Armies are not filled with murdering psychopaths. Good people can be driven to do bad things. The story chronicles the pathology of war, how escalating events can trigger unasked-for tragedy. Based on a true story about a southern child who shot and killed a union soldier during the Civil War."

Has anyone else seen this movie?

LarsMac

Pharaoh's Army

Post by LarsMac »

I have not. But it sounds like one I should watch.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

Pharaoh's Army

Post by YZGI »

Wow, that looks great. I will be checking for this one.
jones jones

Pharaoh's Army

Post by jones jones »

I'm ashamed to say I haven't. We tend to follow what happens on the "Red Carpet". I so hate saying that cos it irks me almost as much as Joan Alexandra Molinsky, known by her stage name Joan Rivers ... who with her ugly motley crew on Fashion Police believe they can diss anyone.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
tabby

Pharaoh's Army

Post by tabby »

Whenever I tout a movie or book, there's always that lingering .01% doubt that it's really awful and I must only like it because I'm mentally deficient in in some way. :yh_nailbi

lol ... but the other 99.9% of me says for ya'll to go for it and hopefully you'll enjoy it! :yh_shamrk:

JJ, when I was a kid, Joan Rivers was funny ... she was doing stand-comedy then and used to be on all of the popular talk shows that my mother would watch in the afternoons. She had a great delivery and good timing. Now she just seems like a bitter and mean old woman.
Chloe_88

Pharaoh's Army

Post by Chloe_88 »

Can't say I have.. not my cup of tea.

I like "zombie" & horror movies myself.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”