Tree Of Life?

koan

Tree Of Life?

Post by koan »

I couldn't even get half way through. I stopped for a nap. Went back to it and gave up.

It's not that it's boring (which it is) or that it's pretentious (which it is) or that it had bad dialogue (there are hardly any spoken lines)... it just struck me as absurd.

The mother floats around like an angel, petting butterflies on the back and running slower than slow motion without actually being in slow motion while her children seem unable to catch her and wildly entertained by the chase they aren't participating in.

All character development, where any exists, happens through deep meaningful looks to camera left.

Sean Penn wonders where his younger brother is (I think that's what he mumbled in voice over) and after a bunch of psychedelic texture photography/fractal style images and swimming jellyfish we end up with digitally rendered dinosaurs doing what they may or may not have done in the fantasy world we imagine they lived. Those are not the first places I'd look for my dead sibling. Penn might have started with a candle or a ouija board and had better luck.

This is a highly over fertilized tree. If you want to enjoy this film I suggest you BYOA (bring your own acid) and have at least one person there with whom you can chat during the slow bit. The slow bit lasts for about two hours. I think the director should try some paint on canvas next time so he can make it last forever.
spot

Tree Of Life?

Post by spot »

I shall look for it.

The only film I've seen recently that I enjoyed was a dubbed Spanish all-in-one-room sexual-tension-comedy called Extraterrestrial. ("As comedies go, it's as dry as bleached bones in the desert, but you can't blame Vigalondo for taking another shot at cleverness").
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

Tree Of Life?

Post by koan »

Funny enough, when I was watching it I was thinking "this is one of the films John would make me watch and he'd be so hurt that I wasn't enjoying it."

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”