Hotel Rwanda

Lon

Hotel Rwanda

Post by Lon »

A really good film. Don Cheadle was excellent and his nomination for best actor at the Academy Awards was well deserved. The film dealt with the Tutsi/Hutu mass killings in Rwanda and one family's struggle to survive.
David813

Hotel Rwanda

Post by David813 »

I agree this was a very good film. I think it may have soft pedaled the atrocities compared to Holocaust movies where you see real extended footage of the massacre victims though. Grisly as that is it drives at the heart and Americans should see what their cowardly Prez Clinton allowed to unfold. I cannot imagine what it would be like being trapped in a foreign country undergoing genocide. Hearing the guns, the jeeps in the street coming toward your end of the block, house by house. Truly chilling. A good film. "Sometimes in April" is another movie that is about the Rwandan Holocaust.
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group that believes you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas millionaires, or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." [font=Arial Narrow][/font]

President Dwight D. Eisenhower Nov. 08, 1954
john8pies

Hotel Rwanda

Post by john8pies »

Haven`t seen either of these but having read of some of the atrocities (eg cutting people`s feet off to make them smaller than their `enemies`) it makes my stomach turn
Philadelphia Eagle

Hotel Rwanda

Post by Philadelphia Eagle »

Yes - both 'Hotel Rwanda' and 'Sometimes in April' are excellent movies.

Some years ago I had the (unwanted) experience of living through a coup in a third world country and while it was nothing like as bad as the conditions seen in these movies it was unnerving to say the least.

The scenes predicted on TV brought back memories of the total helplessness of the innocent victims.
America the Beautiful :-6

website - home.comcast.net/~nmusgrave/
devist8me

Hotel Rwanda

Post by devist8me »

I just rented this movie last night but havn't gotten a chance ot watch it yet. This thread makes me glad I got it.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
Jives

Hotel Rwanda

Post by Jives »

It's absolutely unbelievable. That these kind of atrocities could still exist in our "modern" world. Uneducated barbarians. Pfffft. :mad:
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
devist8me

Hotel Rwanda

Post by devist8me »

This was an excellent film...really tugged on my heartstrings. The lead (Paul?) does a wonderful job and should deserve a award for his acting. I was shocked at how things are in other countries (again) and realize how lucky I am to not have to be in their shoes.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
minks

Hotel Rwanda

Post by minks »

I just watched this show this weekend. WOW!!!

first I would like to say, that it was absolutely sickening to watch the "white's" being removed and the locals being told basically that no one is going to care, they will turn on their televisions, see what is going on, feel bad, and continue with life. That just made me incredibly sad.

Second I was proud to see that Canadian Flag On Nick Nolte's chest. Peace Keeping is no cowardly task.

I really liked the movie, just such a pity that history repeats itself time and time again, only this time it is Sudan.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Nomad

Hotel Rwanda

Post by Nomad »

I recently watched this as well & I have to say Don Cheadle is fast becoming one of my favorite actors, he was outstanding.

What a hopeless situation to find yourself in save for the heroic efforts of the hotel mngr. Cheadle portrayed. Throughout history the truly brave men & women are few & far between. I often wonder how I would hold up were I to be tested in such a horrifiying & extreme situation...................Not well I imagine.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Tan

Hotel Rwanda

Post by Tan »

I have yet to see the movie. It sounds excellent.
Tan

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”