Zorba the Disappointment

tabby

Zorba the Disappointment

Post by tabby »

I had the opportunity to watch the classic movie “Zorba the Greek” and I was certain that I would enjoy it! Based on its reputation, great cast, and zippy soundtrack that has stood the test of time, how could I possibly be bored with it? Alas, I watched it about 3/4 of the way through until I finally decided to throw in the towel and go do something else. I didn’t like Zorba himself which surprised me, I was disappointed in the Alan Bates character, I cringed every time I saw the older woman still pretending she was a flirtatious and giddy 15 year old girl, I didn’t like the scenery, the villagers were small minded and mean spirited and I just couldn’t bear to watch any longer. I tried to like it ... I wanted to like it ... I mean, it’s a classic, right? The fact that I watched most of it before quitting shows that I tried because usually I’ll give up early on if a movie doesn’t grab me. I’m still wondering if I should have stuck with it ... possibly it would have suddenly taken a turn for the better towards the end? I doubt it but you never know, I guess!

Oh well, I still like the music!
LarsMac

Zorba the Disappointment

Post by LarsMac »

If you got that far, you might as well finish it.

Though you don't come away from it with happy feeling for Zorba.

He is not that kind of guy.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Zorba the Disappointment

Post by tabby »

Hmmmm ... well it sounds like he definitely doesn't get any more likable so I think I'll pass! Usually at least one character is likable but I wasn't able to find one here.
Snooz

Zorba the Disappointment

Post by Snooz »

I always thought Anthony Quinn was very attractive but I've never even considered watching that movie for some reason.

Have you ever seen his gorgeous son? Poor guy died at 48 of a heart attack. :(

tabby

Zorba the Disappointment

Post by tabby »

Oh God, he IS handsome! I think even more so than his father.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”