Marlene Dietrich and her Husband Erich Sieber.

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Wow! Talk about hostile body language!

Marlene Dietrich and her Husband Erich Sieber Berlin, 1929.

From Eisenstaedt on Eisenstaedt: A Self-Portrait.

Hard to believe from this that they stayed married from 1924 to 1976, although they never lived together all the time.

(See First Reply)
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I know I've brought this up before but really, I'm not obsessed on the subject... I thought I had read rumors that she was either gay or bisexual.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

SnoozeAgain;1383774 wrote: I know I've brought this up before but really, I'm not obsessed on the subject... I thought I had read rumors that she was either gay or bisexual.

Yeah she was certainly bisexual which is no big thing today and most likely was no big thing in the twenties either!
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Aha! From wiki:

Unlike her professional celebrity, which was carefully crafted and maintained, Dietrich's personal life was kept out of public view. Dietrich, who was bisexual, enjoyed the thriving gay scene of the time and drag balls of 1920s Berlin.

She was a beautiful woman, I'm sure she had her choice of lovers.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

SnoozeAgain;1383777 wrote: Aha! From wiki:

She was a beautiful woman, I'm sure she had her choice of lovers.

Personally and its just my opinion ... but I have absolutely nothing against bisexuality.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Nor do I, but it's interesting to me when I find out old time actors, celebrities and politicians had alternate lifestyles since people were shocked and appalled at "aberrant" behavior back then. Life must have difficult... poor Rock Hudson.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

SnoozeAgain;1383787 wrote: Nor do I, but it's interesting to me when I find out old time actors, celebrities and politicians had alternate lifestyles since people were shocked and appalled at "aberrant" behavior back then. Life must have difficult... poor Rock Hudson.

I think we call them hippocrits!
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

"She’s courageous, beautiful, loyal, charming and generous. She’s never boring. In the morning, in the shirt, trousers and boots of an American solider, she looks as special as she does in the evening or on the screen. Her honesty as well as her sense of the comedy and tragedy of life are responsible for the fact that she can never truly be happy, except when she loves.

Even if she had nothing but her voice, she could break your heart with it. In addition, she has this beautiful body, and the timeless beauty of her face. What if it does break your heart if she’s there to put it together again? I know that I, myself, could never see Marlene without her moving me and making me happy. If that’s what makes her mysterious, it’s a beautiful mystery. It’s a mystery of which we have know for a long time."

Ernest Hemingway.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Wow, Hemingway waxing lyrical. He obviously greatly admired her.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

SnoozeAgain;1383873 wrote: Wow, Hemingway waxing lyrical. He obviously greatly admired her.

He's so right though!!
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I think what was so surprising about his remark was how flowery it was. He was a writer well know for his short and succinct sentences. Oooh, alliteration!
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Yeah he was a man's man, but then maybe he and Marlene were like ... you know what? Nudge wink!!

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”