Love This Movie!

jones jones

Love This Movie!

Post by jones jones »

And still watch it whenever it it screened on TV. I never knew this ...

In the novel, Dorothy wore silver shoes. However, the creators of the film chose to make these ruby slippers to take advantage of the new technicolor technology.

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Snooz

Love This Movie!

Post by Snooz »

I think this movie is where my love of all things glittery and shiny comes from. LOVE Glinda's dress and tiara and I've always wanted a wand like that. But in sterling silver and real gemstones, of course. I'm not one for flashy shoes though.
along-for-the-ride

Love This Movie!

Post by along-for-the-ride »

A timeless classic indeed. Judy Garland was wonderful.

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
tabby

Love This Movie!

Post by tabby »

The original ruby slippers worn by Judy Garland are on display at the Smithsonian Museum in Washington DC and still evoke powerful shivery feelings inside of me when I see them. True americana and I'm sure they had no idea when they were making the film what a cultural icon it would become! It had some tough competition coming out in the same year as "Gone with the Wind" but it's certainly held its own over time.
Ahso!

Love This Movie!

Post by Ahso! »

tabby;1381738 wrote: and I'm sure they had no idea when they were making the film what a cultural icon it would become!Surely, they hoped it would? Isn't that what every story hopes to achieve?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tabby

Love This Movie!

Post by tabby »

Yes, it is and I'm sure they did hope for success or they wouldn't have begun the venture in the first place but I doubt even in their wildest dreams they could have foreseen how many successive generations of children would be smitten by the film.
tabby

Love This Movie!

Post by tabby »

Dorothy's 'Wizard of Oz' dress sells for $480,000 at auction ~~~~~> Dorothy's 'Wizard of Oz' dress sells for $480,000 at auction - TODAY Entertainment
Snooz

Love This Movie!

Post by Snooz »

I still want Glinda's dress. Did you know that Billie Burke was 53ish when she played Glinda? What a stunningly beautiful woman.

tabby

Love This Movie!

Post by tabby »

I tried to find it for you, Snoozie but apparently it's uncertain where it is and presumably is in the hands of a private collector.

I did find this tidbit though .... the dress was originally worn by Jeanette McDonald in the 1936 film "San Francisco". It was in the MGM costume wardrobe and selected for Glinda with the addition of a few alterations.

Snooz

Love This Movie!

Post by Snooz »

I had no idea! It's awkwardly high waisted on Jeanette McDonald. I doubt many women could wear that style without looking like a mushroom.
Vaishali

Love This Movie!

Post by Vaishali »

Please give a link nothing is visible on your post.

jones jones

Love This Movie!

Post by jones jones »

Yeah I did something really dumbass a while back which caused all my images to vanish.

It was "The Wizard of Oz" if that's any help.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
mikeinie

Love This Movie!

Post by mikeinie »

Class movie… it will last forever.

Did you know that the first actor hired to play the scarecrow became violently ill because the makeup that they used contained aluminum dust which got into his lungs.

He was rushed to hospital and replaced by the guy who was in the movie. The makeup was changed without explanation.

In all of the songs ‘we are off to see the wizard’, the singing vocals of the 1st scarecrow was used as it was already recorded.
jones jones

Love This Movie!

Post by jones jones »

Wow ... I didn't know that. Thanx for sharing. :-6
tabby

Love This Movie!

Post by tabby »

mikeinie;1411419 wrote: Class movie� it will last forever.

Did you know that the first actor hired to play the scarecrow became violently ill because the makeup that they used contained aluminum dust which got into his lungs.

He was rushed to hospital and replaced by the guy who was in the movie. The makeup was changed without explanation.

In all of the songs �we are off to see the wizard�, the singing vocals of the 1st scarecrow was used as it was already recorded.

I think it was the Tin Man and the original actor was Buddy Ebsen.
tabby

Love This Movie!

Post by tabby »

jones jones

Love This Movie!

Post by jones jones »

tabby;1420819 wrote:

Ah! Kitty Paws in Dorothy's red slippers! Only from a member called Tabby! :wah:
Saint_

Love This Movie!

Post by Saint_ »

"The Wizard of Oz" has been digitally remastered for Bluray and is on the top ten Bluray movies list for a great watch in HD!

If you want to get the rest of the story, though, watch a little known movie called "Under the Rainbow" about the troubles they had keeping the hundreds of "little people" extras in line at the studio.

YZGI

Love This Movie!

Post by YZGI »

Saint_;1421011 wrote: "The Wizard of Oz" has been digitally remastered for Bluray and is on the top ten Bluray movies list for a great watch in HD!

If you want to get the rest of the story, though, watch a little known movie called "Under the Rainbow" about the troubles they had keeping the hundreds of "little people" extras in line at the studio.

I hear they had the same trouble at this filming.

shinning_like_me

Love This Movie!

Post by shinning_like_me »

I would love to see the movie 3 Idiots any time and all the time , it is a very good movie
Saint_

Love This Movie!

Post by Saint_ »

Can you post a clip? I don't know that show.
Saint_

Love This Movie!

Post by Saint_ »

Goodbye Mr. Chips - 1939 with Robert Donat

I never get tired of watching this movie. I special ordered it from Amazon. Five stars.
brightlikeme

Love This Movie!

Post by brightlikeme »

Pk,

The latest Bollywood Movie has made a bench mark for Indian Cinema,

Anushkha Sharma and Aamir Khan along with Sanjay Dutt has given the best Performances in Bollywood .

Also The songs were in the list of Latest Party Songs
G#Gill

Love This Movie!

Post by G#Gill »

Saint_;1445922 wrote: Goodbye Mr. Chips - 1939 with Robert Donat

I never get tired of watching this movie. I special ordered it from Amazon. Five stars.

I understand French to a certain extend, however I'm sure that I would have enjoyed this film better if it was the English version !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Saint_

Love This Movie!

Post by Saint_ »

G#Gill;1470946 wrote: I understand French to a certain extend, however I'm sure that I would have enjoyed this film better if it was the English version !

That's weird, that movie is in english. I guess the link to the youtube video was in french strangely...

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”