Mary Pickford.

jones jones

Mary Pickford.

Post by jones jones »

As a lady/actress she hasn't interested me ... yet. Sure she's cute and she made a gazillion dollars, but so what I say?

However this image of her posing in front of a fireplace IS very interesting.

Why? Well for starters there’s the dainty cabriole leg settee on the right, the brass break-front fire fender & fire dogs in the fireplace, the mirror, wall light and the beautiful 1930’s gown she’s wearing!

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Snooz

Mary Pickford.

Post by Snooz »

Wasn't she involved with William Randolph Hearst? I need to google her, I vaguely remember the story.
jones jones

Mary Pickford.

Post by jones jones »

Not sure Snooze ... he had so many starlets! Let me know what you find out!
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Snooz

Mary Pickford.

Post by Snooz »

Oopsie, I got her mixed up with Marion Davies. My interest in film doesn't extend that far back. :o
jones jones

Mary Pickford.

Post by jones jones »

Ah Marion Davis was involved with Mr Charles Chaplin as well ... not my most fave actor is Charlie.
Snooz

Mary Pickford.

Post by Snooz »

It reads like they were all buddies back then... Pickford, Chaplin and Douglas Fairbanks actually founded United Artists. Pretty interesting time to be making movies.

Why don't you like Chaplin? I think he was quite brilliant.
Bruv

Mary Pickford.

Post by Bruv »

SnoozeAgain;1381187 wrote:

Too butch.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Gentle Brother

Mary Pickford.

Post by Gentle Brother »

Timeless beauty! A name still remembered and recognised all these years later, says it all..
jones jones

Mary Pickford.

Post by jones jones »

SnoozeAgain;1381187 wrote: It reads like they were all buddies back then... Pickford, Chaplin and Douglas Fairbanks actually founded United Artists. Pretty interesting time to be making movies.

I have no problem with him as an actor cos he was a brilliant one of a kind. However his perchant for seducing and manipulating young girls rather put me off him. He married both Mildred Harris (age 16) and Lita Grey (age 16) a step before statutory rape charges were to be laid against him.
Snooz

Mary Pickford.

Post by Snooz »

A lot of actors have unsavory personal lives, I try not to think about it when I watch them perform. Although I'm still not too sure about Mel Gibson.
along-for-the-ride

Mary Pickford.

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Mary Pickford finally becomes the lovely woman she was in your photo, JJ. For too many years she had to portray young girls in films.

She was a super-star in her time. Her many fans were reluctant to see Ms. Pickford cut her hair, let alone "grow up."
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Lady J

Mary Pickford.

Post by Lady J »

Bruv;1381250 wrote: Too butch.

How did you come to that conclusion about Charlie Chaplin?

Just wondering.....

Lady J
Bruv

Mary Pickford.

Post by Bruv »

jones jones;1381185 wrote: ... not my most fave actor is Charlie.

Lady J;1381335 wrote: How did you come to that conclusion about Charlie Chaplin?

Just wondering.....

Lady J
It was an attempt at a humourous response to JJ's post, that he graciously ignored.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Richard Bell

Mary Pickford.

Post by Richard Bell »

jones jones;1381170 wrote: As a lady/actress she hasn't interested me ... yet.

I respectfully disagree with that statement, given that you have created two threads about the woman :D.I believe you may well find her fascinating, and who could blame you? She was an amazing business person, a film pioneer, and the biggest of the first wave of movie stars.

I was quite impressed with the contract she negotiated in 1916, which you outlined in your opening post in your other MP thread:

previously posted by jones jones

Mary Pickford’s Contract With Adolph Zukor 1916.

1) She could reject the finished pictures; a studio must be built for her; she must own it herself so no one else could make a movie there.

2) $1,400,000.00 salary per year and 50% of the profits of all her movies.

3) She was also to get $10,000.00 a week drawing account.

4) $300,000.00 bonus for signing.

5) A private car attached to any train if she travelled. Two limos and chauffeurs paid by the studio on call day and night.

6) Her wardrobe in toto on and off the screen.

7) Two maids both at the studio and at home.

She was once off Zukor’s payroll for four weeks while she considered other offers from every other picture company and from industrial billionaires who wanted to form companies for her. She made Zukor pay her $40,000.00 a week for those four weeks!

These dollars would be a fortune if paid today, yet Mary was getting this 96 years ago.A Google search tells me the average annual wage in the USA in 1916 was $708. She made this contract at the ripe old age of 23.

One other thing: "America's Sweetheart" (as she was billed) was from Canada (born in Toronto in 1893).

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”