Brief Spotlights

tabby

Brief Spotlights

Post by tabby »

I was driving through Petersburg, VA yesterday afternoon and as I crossed the bridge going into the downtown area, I could see the “old town” section off to the right and in addition to the usual view of cobbled streets and historic homes, there were vintage style tents and wagons filling some of the greens. Then it hit me ... oh that’s right! I did read that they were filming some of the scenes from the new movie “Lincoln” in the city this week. I think most of the film was shot in Richmond’s historic areas in recent weeks. I took a sharp right turn at the end of the bridge to go investigate ... I mean surely Daniel Day Lewis was going to be standing around waiting for me to get a good look, right? Wrong. And then to add insult to injury, I was only able to drive a short way before realizing all access to the area was blocked ... foiled again! I thought about popping into a nearby diner in hopes of being discovered by a director or producer then realized that was Lana Turner’s story not mine plus it was a drugstore not a diner. Oh well, they missed their chance.

Petersburg is where I was born and lived for the first 17 years of my life so I’m always interested in little news tidbits about the place. I’m sure those of you who live in large cities are used to such sights and seeing a major movie film set on the streets is probably no big deal but I think for most small towns and communities, it’s probably a big event.

My questions to you: Have you had any films shot in your area? Ever actually been able to visit the set? Ever mingled with a film star even briefly?

I’m not aware of any movies that have been filmed where I live now so the answers to my own questions are no, no and no!

Here’s some little blurbs on the movie “Lincoln”:

First Look At Daniel Day-Lewis In Costume On The Set Of Lincoln - CinemaBlend.com

Spectators try to spot Spielberg, other 'Lincoln' celebrities | Richmond Times-Dispatch
Ahso!

Brief Spotlights

Post by Ahso! »

I enjoy reading your stories, Tabby, you write well.

We've had parts of a couple of movies filmed nearby a few years back. Girl Interrupted with Winona Ryder was one and an Oprah something or other. Also, the wife and I found ourselves walking past the shooting of a Bruce Willis movie down in New Orleans last year.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tabby

Brief Spotlights

Post by tabby »

Ahso!;1378677 wrote: I enjoy reading your stories, Tabby, you write well.

We've had parts of a couple of movies filmed nearby a few years back. Girl Interrupted with Winona Ryder was one and an Oprah something or other. Also, the wife and I found ourselves walking past the shooting of a Bruce Willis movie down in New Orleans last year.

Thank you, Ahso, that's nice of you to say! I saw "Girl Interrupted" when it was released and thought it was a good movie. Funny now that although Winona Ryder was the star and Angelina Jolie was a newcomer with a smaller part, her fame has far eclipsed Winona's in some respects. I love Winona's pixie-like & piquant appearance but I don't think I've seen her in a movie in ages.

Ahso!

Brief Spotlights

Post by Ahso! »

The Black Swan?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tabby

Brief Spotlights

Post by tabby »

Okay, I've heard of that movie but I haven't seen it, don't know the story line nor do I know who's in it. If Winona has a role, I'm glad to know she's still acting ... maybe I'll catch it sometime!
Ahso!

Brief Spotlights

Post by Ahso! »

The Black Swan is a fairly typical Hollywood storyline of human interest with a slight pitch of black to it. Nothing to write home about. You're really not missing much.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
along-for-the-ride

Brief Spotlights

Post by along-for-the-ride »

There have been several films, besides "Forrest Gump", that have been made in Savannah Ga which is around 50 miles from where I live, "The Conspirator" and "The Garden of Good and Evil" are two more examples.

The website below contains a more extensive list:

http://www.savannahbest.com/Sights.htm

I am looking forward to watching "Lincoln". I understand Sally Field is supposed to play Mary Lincoln.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Clodhopper

Brief Spotlights

Post by Clodhopper »

They made a BBC series about 30 years ago and one episode was shot mostly at my school. I'd just finished O Levels and a whole load of my year were drafted in as extras. I remember getting £15 which felt like a fortune! Also a 1914 style haircut. :) If you look very carefully at exactly the right moment, that's me bowling in the background (leg spin, as it happens).
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Snooz

Brief Spotlights

Post by Snooz »

They filmed some of last season's Doctor Who in Southern Utah, I was quite excited by that. They also used to film "Touched By An Angel" here and were always looking for extras, so quite a few of my co-workers apparently ended up on the show in brief bits and pieces.

I ran into Victor Mature's legs when I was about 4 while he was coming out of an elevator. My mom was thrilled by the encounter, unfortunately I don't remember it.

tabby

Brief Spotlights

Post by tabby »

Here's an update on the "Lincoln" film from Petersburg's perspective. I am anxious to watch it but I know I'll just wait until I can get my hands on a DVD. The casting for this film was genius and I can't imagine but that the film must be excellent. If anyone goes to the theater to watch it, give us a review!

Petersburg in the spotlight as 'Lincoln' opens today - News - Progress-Index
LarsMac

Brief Spotlights

Post by LarsMac »

We plan to see it this weekend. I'll let you know.

To the OP, I lived in Jupiter Florida and fairly often ran into Perry Como, and Burt Reynolds, and a few others. (Once, Perry even flipped me the 'bird')

The bridge jump in the Bandit film was one of our bridges. I was in a tow truck that passed on one of the scenes.

I also got in as an extra for a couple of flicks when I was living in NOLA. If you look REALLY Close, you can see my cousin is one of the people boarding the ferry in "Deja Vu"(Well, I can, anyway)
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Brief Spotlights

Post by tabby »

Fun stories, LarMac! lol ... I always think of Perry Como as mild mannered and not someone who flips the bird without provocation ... what did you do to the poor man?? :sneaky:

As you view the movie, pay special attention to Thaddeus Stevens for me.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”