Best Horror Films!

K.Snyder

Best Horror Films!

Post by K.Snyder »

Best Horror Films?

I'm currently interested in the paranormal atm, even though I don't believe in ghosts I still like the eeriness of them...but any will do...

Texas chainsaw massacre will always be a classic to me but what really aggravates me is the idea of fake monsters regardless of how ironically charming. Freddy Kruger and Jason is a complete and utter waste of my time

Paranormal activity was incredibly stupid.

Insidious I thought was pretty chilling even though the plot screeched to a halt halfway through

Any favorites?
along-for-the-ride

Best Horror Films!

Post by along-for-the-ride »

"The Shining"... not so much for Jack Nicholsons performance. To me, the true horror was being alone in that immense building, in the middle of nowhere, in the dead of winter, for several months.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
K.Snyder

Best Horror Films!

Post by K.Snyder »

along-for-the-ride;1367939 wrote: "The Shining"... not so much for Jack Nicholsons performance. To me, the true horror was being alone in that immense building, in the middle of nowhere, in the dead of winter, for several months.

I'd seen the movie years ago but perhaps I could watch it again...I remember laughing a bit as I can rarely take Nicholson seriously...
LarsMac

Best Horror Films!

Post by LarsMac »

I confess that I did not enjoy The Shining.

I had read the book, and really liked it a year or so before the movie released.

My expectations were perhaps too high.

Had I not read the book, I might have liked the movie much better.

My favorite "horror" flicks are a bit odd, perhaps.

Alien, more often classified as a Sci-Fi, is probably one of the BEST horror flicks ever made.

It follows the classic Horror plot, with the added benefit of taking the audience to an entirely new world in the bargain

Another one that I would put in the realm of horror is Spielberg's first film. "Duel" with Dennis Weaver.

Here, the "monster" is an unseen driver of a semi-truck.

Weaver's character is just another traveling salesman, who seems to get on the wrong side of the driver.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers is another of my favorites. The early 70's version, with Donald Sutherland is the best.

For horror flicks, I think the cheesier, the better.

Never got into the nightmare, friday, Freddy stuff.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
littleCJelkton

Best Horror Films!

Post by littleCJelkton »

The original last house on the left
littleCJelkton

Best Horror Films!

Post by littleCJelkton »

LarsMac;1367942 wrote:

For horror flicks, I think the cheesier, the better.

Chessiest have to be the Bruce Campbell quatra of the Trilogy Evil dead, Evil Dead 2, and Army of Darkness and his last one Bubbahotep
littleCJelkton

Best Horror Films!

Post by littleCJelkton »

K.Snyder;1367940 wrote: I'd seen the movie years ago but perhaps I could watch it again...I remember laughing a bit as I can rarely take Nicholson seriously...
I found my self laughing through Incideous
Snooz

Best Horror Films!

Post by Snooz »

Gotta agree about Alien and I'd include Aliens, Predator and Terminator... those were some scary movies. For 'otherworldly' chills, one of the best ghost stories I've seen recently was The Others (2001) - IMDb

I love horror movies, I could list dozens of them that I enjoyed.
Oscar Namechange

Best Horror Films!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Cheesy but I love Sixth Sense and

Ammytiville 1
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Best Horror Films!

Post by spot »

SnoozeAgain;1367961 wrote: I love horror movies
You could try finding a copy of IMDb - Hour of the Wolf (1968)
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snooz

Best Horror Films!

Post by Snooz »

spot;1367967 wrote: You could try finding a copy of IMDb - Hour of the Wolf (1968)

Ooooh, it's actually on Netflix Instant, I'll go watch it right now. Thanks spot.

ETA: I'm 32 minutes in and the scariest thing that's happened was the wife reading a shopping list and asking him to tally the amounts for her. Oh, and the eyebrows of the woman at the dinner party that was talking about her oozing sores. I don't mind a slow burn but this is duller than the dullest dullard in Dulltown.
K.Snyder

Best Horror Films!

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1367967 wrote: You could try finding a copy of IMDb - Hour of the Wolf (1968)This one has quite a high rating from around 5,500 users... Perhaps we'll give this one a try...

Does it make your significant other smack you in the face? :yh_devil
Snooz

Best Horror Films!

Post by Snooz »

Another slow-as-molasses Scandinavian movie: Valhalla Rising (2009) - IMDb. There are supernatural undertones but I lost interest much like I'm doing with spot's recommendation.
Kathy Ellen

Best Horror Films!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

My top 10 'scary' movies are:

Not necessarily in this order:

The Exorcist

Alien

The Thing (John Carpenter's film)

Rosemary's Baby

The Shining

The Human Centipede

Psycho

Silence of the Lambs

An American Werewolf in London

Cujo
spot

Best Horror Films!

Post by spot »

SnoozeAgain;1367977 wrote: Another slow-as-molasses Scandinavian movie: Valhalla Rising (2009) - IMDb. There are supernatural undertones but I lost interest much like I'm doing with spot's recommendation.

Ah.

Slow's good. I like slow.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
along-for-the-ride

Best Horror Films!

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Here's an obscure one for you........

Curse of the Demon (1957) - IMDb

I saw it years ago and did get a good "scaring".
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
K.Snyder

Best Horror Films!

Post by K.Snyder »

I watched the Changeling (1980) and I thought it was incredibly boring...

I watched 1408 last night as well...LOVED IT!

Fantastic movie. I recommend it...Eerie and has that authentic ghost factor that reflects what a paranormal film should be, very good

That's all I'm going to say about it
Snooz

Best Horror Films!

Post by Snooz »

K.Snyder;1368120 wrote: I watched the Changeling (1980) and I thought it was incredibly boring...

I watched 1408 last night as well...LOVED IT!

Fantastic movie. I recommend it...Eerie and has that authentic ghost factor that reflects what a paranormal film should be, very good

That's all I'm going to say about it

Is that the one with John Cusack? Reminded me a little of "The Shining".
K.Snyder

Best Horror Films!

Post by K.Snyder »

SnoozeAgain;1368125 wrote: Is that the one with John Cusack? Reminded me a little of "The Shining".Yes, with John Cusack and he was good. It does give the shining feel but with better visuals and more of a feeling that places you there...It's a great relief from this other crap I've seen lately

I'd recently watched The Descent which I thought the idea was fantastic but it just didn't do it for me...I didn't care for it as a horror. It had more potential as a suspense that turned quickly into a predictable haunted house

It was very suspenseful until the gobblings showed up but I suppose some will disagree
Snooz

Best Horror Films!

Post by Snooz »

Favorite zombie movies - 28 Days Later, the 2004 version of Dawn of the Dead and Shawn of the Dead

Werewolf - Dog Soldiers

Apocalypse - TV show "Jericho"
Bryn Mawr

Best Horror Films!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

The Raven?

Peter Lorre at his very best :-

IMDb - The Raven (1963)
Delorean

Best Horror Films!

Post by Delorean »

The Entity did, and still does, scare the pants off me. And the original Amityville.

Really, any supposedly 'based on a true story' haunted house film scares me more than any other. I've seen all the Saw movies, The Human Centipede, and numerous slasher flicks but they're not really scary to me, (although with The Human Centipede, I don't think the scare lies in the film so much as in knowing there is someone out there thinking up this stuff and probably inspiring some psycho wannabe to try it!)

So yeah, my idea of a good horror is watching a ghost flick when I'm home alone at night. Every noise becomes a poltergeist, every movement I catch out the corner of my eye becomes a homicidal spectre. But I'm yet to find one that scared me like Entity and Amityville did.
koan

Best Horror Films!

Post by koan »

Unusual ones: American Gothic because I believe there are people this messed up.

Didn't like Texas Chainsaw massacre remake (maybe same as original) as they justify cannibalism by lack of food but there are cows roaming around and they find their first victims due to a car crash where a cow was struck. Hmmm. Cow... or people. I'd eat the cow.

I'm more scared by psychological thrillers so I usually watch horror flicks for amusement.

The Others was a really intriguing film for paranormal interest but not really a horror per se.

Cloverfield was (aside from the size of Lady Liberty's head) visually impressive and made good use of the handheld shooting format. It's basically America's Godzilla.

Running Scared is technically an action film but it has the creepiest mini horror flick inserted about 2/3rds through.

I second votes for

The Exorcist (still as good as the day it was released)

Evil Dead Part 2 (funniest horror film ever)

Silence Of The Lambs (deserved the Oscars it won)

Dawn of the Dead (kill kill kill ... set the record for on screen deaths)

eta: I think I firsted Dawn of the Dead. Watch it.
koan

Best Horror Films!

Post by koan »

Also, never trust spot's recommendations for films. He fancies himself archaic and is amused by boredom.
K.Snyder

Best Horror Films!

Post by K.Snyder »

Has anyone seen "rec" or "rec 2"? The title is a shortened variation of the word "record" and the story is about a firefighter documentary,obviously gone very bad, I believe...The first movie was made only in Spanish and everyone seems to have loved it so I'm hoping "rec 2"(This one was made in English) is as good.

I don't mind watching movies with subtitles but in the horror genre it's hard to capture some of the visuals that makes them appealing.
Snooz

Best Horror Films!

Post by Snooz »

The American version of rec is literally the same movie, shot for shot. I've seen both and while I thought they were both pretty good, the Spanish one seems to have a more sinister feel to it for some reason.

I read recently that there's going to be a third movie out from the Spaniards, this time a prequel. It sounds promising.

Have you seen this? IMDb - Pandorum (2009) I wasn't expecting much but it was actually a decent movie that I enjoyed quite a bit.
K.Snyder

Best Horror Films!

Post by K.Snyder »

SnoozeAgain;1370708 wrote: The American version of rec is literally the same movie, shot for shot. I've seen both and while I thought they were both pretty good, the Spanish one seems to have a more sinister feel to it for some reason.

I read recently that there's going to be a third movie out from the Spaniards, this time a prequel. It sounds promising.

Have you seen this? IMDb - Pandorum (2009) I wasn't expecting much but it was actually a decent movie that I enjoyed quite a bit.Haven't seen it, I'll look for it, thanks...

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”