Carry On Films

tabby

Carry On Films

Post by tabby »

A friend of mine living in the UK will periodically send me DVDs of British television and film and over the summer sent me a copy of "Carry On Dick". I had vaguely heard of the series but didn't know anything about it. Well, I am hooked!! That particular film was one of the last ones and it really made me laugh out loud so I went on Amazon.com and have been working my way through the series since then, beginning with the original. I finished up "Carry On Constable" about 2 weeks ago and the next one will be "Carry On Regardless". Oh these are such funny films and such a great ensemble cast!
OpenMind

Carry On Films

Post by OpenMind »

Excellent slapstick comedy with the first being in black and white. I believe I read recently that another one is being planned this year.
binbag

Carry On Films

Post by binbag »

Hello tabby,

I can well understand why you've become hooked on the "Carry On" series.

Keep on enjoying them and fill your life with lots of laughter. :)

bb
[FONT=Arial]Just above the clouds

the sun is always shining.

[/FONT]
Snowfire

Carry On Films

Post by Snowfire »

I'm a sucker for a Carry On film. Yeah they're corny and sometimes make you cringe but I cant resist watching them when they pop on the telly. The double entendres have given me many a giggle.....A woman walks into a bar and asks the barman for a double entendre. So he gives her one.......Oooooh Matron !

29 original films were made....

Carry On (film series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
tabby

Carry On Films

Post by tabby »

29 ... they must have been immensely popular in their day to warrant 29 films! "Carry On Dick", which was the first one I saw, reminded me somewhat humor-wise of the old Benny Hill skits that our local PBS station used to air on Saturday afternoons. I used to love watching those. And it's true ... they are corny but there's something about them that is so appealing.
fuzzywuzzy

Carry On Films

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

OpenMind;1342581 wrote: Excellent slapstick comedy with the first being in black and white. I believe I read recently that another one is being planned this year.

loved carry on films ....but arent they all dead? Oh god who was the snob guy with the big nose ....I loved him .

benny hill on saturday afternoons???????? Bloody ell !!! not until after 8"30 pm here.
tabby

Carry On Films

Post by tabby »

The snob guy with the big nose is Kenneth Williams, I think. Very distinct mannerisms!

PBS is a great station ... brings us all sorts of British programs ... Eastenders, Inspector Morse, even old TV classics like I, Claudius and The Pallisers ... I could go on and on.
Bryn Mawr

Carry On Films

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tabby;1342535 wrote: A friend of mine living in the UK will periodically send me DVDs of British television and film and over the summer sent me a copy of "Carry On Dick". I had vaguely heard of the series but didn't know anything about it. Well, I am hooked!! That particular film was one of the last ones and it really made me laugh out loud so I went on Amazon.com and have been working my way through the series since then, beginning with the original. I finished up "Carry On Constable" about 2 weeks ago and the next one will be "Carry On Regardless". Oh these are such funny films and such a great ensemble cast!

The very first Carry On film I saw was Carry On Regardless and it had me wetting myself. The series lasted twenty or thirty years and was excellent throughout - watch out for Carry On Up The Khyber and Carry On Cleo - Infamy, infamy, they've all got it informe.
dchistoryman

Carry On Films

Post by dchistoryman »

Barbara Windsor is still going strong, bless her.

Yes the infamy line was wonderful but I also love :

Q "Hampton Court"

A "No it's these trousers"

From Carry on Don't Lose Your Head I think.

If you get a chance read Kenneth Williams Diaries, gives a lot of inside stories on these films and goodness the cast were a physiciatrists dream.
Bryn Mawr

Carry On Films

Post by Bryn Mawr »

dchistoryman;1342771 wrote: Barbara Windsor is still going strong, bless her.

Yes the infamy line was wonderful but I also love :

Q "Hampton Court"

A "No it's these trousers"

From Carry on Don't Lose Your Head I think.

If you get a chance read Kenneth Williams Diaries, gives a lot of inside stories on these films and goodness the cast were a physiciatrists dream.

Sadly we've lost a few from the cast but I think Babs will carry on forever.
tabby

Carry On Films

Post by tabby »

I began this thread when I first joined in 2010 and I'm still enjoying the "Carry On" films. I have to purchase them from Amazon because I haven't found them available elsewhere. I'm a movie buff and have lots of DVDs stacked up waiting to be watched but I manage to throw a "Carry On" movie in there about every 2 months. Great cast, great timing, great humor! Today I started watching "Carry on Cabby" ... so far so good!
Snooz

Carry On Films

Post by Snooz »

No disrespect meant to Odie but I can't believe anyone that has read this thread could have thought you were her. Night and day.
tabby

Carry On Films

Post by tabby »

Trust me, SnoozeAgain ... no one was more surprised than me! I had woken up that morning a healthy & lively American woman and found out late that evening on FG that I was in fact a dead Canadian woman. :-3

I've recovered from the shock with no lasting side effects ... I think! :yh_wink
Snooz

Carry On Films

Post by Snooz »

Bad enough to find out you're not the person you always thought you were, but dead on top of it.
K.Snyder

Carry On Films

Post by K.Snyder »

How does the series compare to Monty Python?

How does it compare to Dr. Who?

(**BOO!!!****BOO!!!!****BOO THAT MAN!!!!!**)

No? No? Carry on then
Bryn Mawr

Carry On Films

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tabby;1373806 wrote: I began this thread when I first joined in 2010 and I'm still enjoying the "Carry On" films. I have to purchase them from Amazon because I haven't found them available elsewhere. I'm a movie buff and have lots of DVDs stacked up waiting to be watched but I manage to throw a "Carry On" movie in there about every 2 months. Great cast, great timing, great humor! Today I started watching "Carry on Cabby" ... so far so good!

The first one I ever saw was "Carry on Regardless" and I still rate it.
tabby

Carry On Films

Post by tabby »

If I remember correctly, that's the one where they are employees of the "Helping Hands" agency and yes, it was wonderful! This one that I'm watching this weekend "Carry on Cabby" is another good one. Some are better than others but I haven't seen any of them that I didn't enjoy!

K.Snyder, these films are in a different class altogether from "Monty Python" with a different type of humor. I'm not familiar enough the the "Dr. Who" series to comment on it but I know it's immensely popular.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”