Shutter Island

Nomad

Shutter Island

Post by Nomad »

Im a DiCaprio fan. He possesses a natural intensity that translates well onto the screen.

I liked this film. Its not what I thought it would be. It was touted, I thought, as a super natural thriller. Not so.

Nomad enjoyed this one.

3.5 popcorn kernels.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Shutter Island

Post by spot »

You found the ending in the lighthouse feasible? You think psychiatrists behave that way, or that psychoses respond that way? I have this problem that if a plot is incredible I consider it pretty much a waste of everyone's time and effort.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
hoppy

Shutter Island

Post by hoppy »

I didn't think much of it. I like DiCaprio a lot but had I been him, I would have passed on this one. The acting, camera work and location was great. Just a lousy plot, IMO. I give it a 2 out of 5.
spot

Shutter Island

Post by spot »

They did seem to depict the early fifties quite well. It was great fun to watch Ming the Merciless portrayed as a death-camp experimenter - has Max von Sydow ever played a likeable character in the last fifty years? Antonius Block was a long time ago.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Kathy Ellen

Shutter Island

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I'll be receiving this film next week. Can't wait to watch it.
CARLA

Shutter Island

Post by CARLA »

Just got it from netflix today will be watching it this weekend.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

along-for-the-ride

Shutter Island

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I'm still waiting for Leonardo DiCaprio to stop looking like a boy.

:D
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Lon

Shutter Island

Post by Lon »

Nomad;1315168 wrote: Im a DiCaprio fan. He possesses a natural intensity that translates well onto the screen.

I liked this film. Its not what I thought it would be. It was touted, I thought, as a super natural thriller. Not so.

Nomad enjoyed this one.

3.5 popcorn kernels.

I did like this movie and walked out after 4 1/2 lhours.
Nomad

Shutter Island

Post by Nomad »

spot;1315170 wrote: You found the ending in the lighthouse feasible? You think psychiatrists behave that way, or that psychoses respond that way? I have this problem that if a plot is incredible I consider it pretty much a waste of everyone's time and effort.

Oh my freaking God spock.

Not every film has to be feasible.

Alice in Wonderland, crappy film?

Relax and lose yourself in the imagination of it.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Shutter Island

Post by spot »

Nomad;1315342 wrote: Oh my freaking God spock.

Not every film has to be feasible.

Alice in Wonderland, crappy film?

Relax and lose yourself in the imagination of it.

Shutter Island is set in the real world, Alice isn't[1]. Events in real world movies are meant to be believable, surely.

[1] Unless you think Alice ate something very peculiar in her sandwiches.
Nomad

Shutter Island

Post by Nomad »

If every film made were meant to be factual then all films would be documentaries. You have a great mind spock but you have another portion of it youre neglecting.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Shutter Island

Post by spot »

Nomad;1315383 wrote: If every film made were meant to be factual then all films would be documentaries. You have a great mind spock but you have another portion of it youre neglecting.

I didn't say factual, I said set in the real world whether the story's fictional or not. I didn't say all film should be, I said those that were set in the real world need to stick to plausibility.

Did you find the ending in the lighthouse feasible? Do you think psychiatrists behave that way, or that psychoses respond that way? They're reasonable questions.
Nomad

Shutter Island

Post by Nomad »

spot;1315384 wrote: I didn't say factual, I said set in the real world whether the story's fictional or not. I didn't say all film should be, I said those that were set in the real world need to stick to plausibility.

Did you find the ending in the lighthouse feasible? Do you think psychiatrists behave that way, or that psychoses respond that way? They're reasonable questions.

No, it wasnt feasible but the enjoyment came from watching DiCaprios mind in chaos as well as the pleasure of watching skilled acting unfold.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Shutter Island

Post by spot »

Nomad;1315386 wrote: the enjoyment came from watching DiCaprios mind in chaos as well as the pleasure of watching skilled acting unfold.

All of that was very wonderful. What a pity the script-writers couldn't be bothered to apply suitably rigorous tests to their product before spending the money on manufacture. It takes a day to walk through highlighting incredibility. Nobody seems to have bothered because, perhaps, the film-going public simply doesn't give a damn.
along-for-the-ride

Shutter Island

Post by along-for-the-ride »

along-for-the-ride;1315330 wrote: I'm still waiting for Leonardo DiCaprio to stop looking like a boy.

:D

Okay, I was being flip. I watched the movie for the second time last night. He has indeed matured and now looks like an older boy.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Kathy Ellen

Shutter Island

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Finally had a chance to watch the movie Nomad. I thought it was great !!!

Thank you for recommending it.

Tonight I'll watch "Alice in Wonderland."
YZGI

Shutter Island

Post by YZGI »

Watched this last night. I enjoyed it. Maybe not factual but all in all a pretty decent movie. Never been much of a Decaprio fan but liked him in ths one.
lalana

Shutter Island

Post by lalana »

superb movie superb casting
rileys

Shutter Island

Post by rileys »

Great cast. As always Leo really gets into his characters. Brilliant performance.
koan

Shutter Island

Post by koan »

I saw this at the theatre. Despite trying to hide the non-approved food and drink we brought in from the gestapo-like hall monitors flashlighting the theatre every 15 minutes, it was a really good movie. We ended up talking out what happened afterwards in a way that I haven't done since Jacob's Ladder.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”