The Day of the Triffids

Saint_

The Day of the Triffids

Post by Saint_ »

This is one of my favorites from the retro-days. They are currently showing a remake on BBC. The original movie, was actually pretty watchable, in an "Omega Man" kind of way. There's something just cool about the end of the world if done right.

A couple of scenes in the movie, like the meteor showers and the acres of Triffids surrounding the tiny band of survivors were excellent.

I'm of a mind to day that one of two things happens when good sci-fi gets remade:

1. The movie sticks to the good story and ups the special effects and perfomances, making a killer movie.

2. The movie stumbles over or rewrites the basic plot, hoping the special effects will save it resulting in a horrible mess that hurts sci-fi fam's feelings and is an embarrassment.

Examples: Good:

The War of the Worlds - Steven Speilburg went back to the book and came up with a winner. Strong scenes, acting, and awesome special effects.

I, Robot - It's actually based on a much earlier short story, and has absolutely nothing to do with Asimov's visions. (Other than stealing his title and how did they do that?!) But it holds together nicely.

Examples : Bad:

The Time Machine - The director rewrote the plot, making a mess of all the Eloi/Morlock symbolism and where the Hell did that psychic albino come from?!! You blew up the Time machine for an ending?!! FOOLS!!!

My choice for a movie that desperately needs a makeover and could be extremely cool?

"When Worlds Collide." The book is hands-down awesome and it could easily make "2012" look like "Sesame Street."

Attached files
LarsMac

The Day of the Triffids

Post by LarsMac »

Saint_;1277770 wrote: This is one of my favorites from the retro-days. They are currently showing a remake on BBC. The original movie, was actually pretty watchable, in an "Omega Man" kind of way. There's something just cool about the end of the world if done right.

A couple of scenes in the movie, like the meteor showers and the acres of Triffids surrounding the tiny band of survivors were excellent.

I'm of a mind to day that one of two things happens when good sci-fi gets remade:

1. The movie sticks to the good story and ups the special effects and perfomances, making a killer movie.

2. The movie stumbles over or rewrites the basic plot, hoping the special effects will save it resulting in a horrible mess that hurts sci-fi fam's feelings and is an embarrassment.

Examples: Good:

The War of the Worlds - Steven Speilburg went back to the book and came up with a winner. Strong scenes, acting, and awesome special effects.

I, Robot - It's actually based on a much earlier short story, and has absolutely nothing to do with Asimov's visions. (Other than stealing his title and how did they do that?!) But it holds together nicely.

Examples : Bad:

The Time Machine - The director rewrote the plot, making a mess of all the Eloi/Morlock symbolism and where the Hell did that psychic albino come from?!! You blew up the Time machine for an ending?!! FOOLS!!!

My choice for a movie that desperately needs a makeover and could be extremely cool?

"When Worlds Collide." The book is hands-down awesome and it could easily make "2012" look like "Sesame Street."

I was in the UK when there was some sort of serial on BBC based on the Triffid story. I only got to see on episode.

Always thought it would make a great movie but didn't know they ever did one.

As for you notes on the others, I tend to agree.

The Time Machine remake was pretty good, right up until the Morlocks made their entry.

From there on was sorta WTF?!

And, I would like to see that "worlds Collide" flick.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”