chonsigirl

Classic Movie Lovers

Post by chonsigirl »

Casablanca.:-4
flopstock

Classic Movie Lovers

Post by flopstock »

Harvey:-4
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

hoppy

Classic Movie Lovers

Post by hoppy »

Old movies are better than most of the trash turned out by Hollywood these days. Even the old "B" movies have merit. So many of todays movies have lousy plots, nobody actors, poor camera work, whispered lines, and to make up for all that they just throw in sex scenes.

Joan Crawford, Barbara Stanwyke, John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and others can't be beat.

Hollywood does still turn out some good stuff. But they are far between.
Saint_

Classic Movie Lovers

Post by Saint_ »

Renee22;1267335 wrote: Are there any classic movie lovers out there?

movies in 1930 and 1940.

I watch TCM all day everyday I just love old movies.

one of my favorite is Dinner At 8.

Ita about a lady that has a dinner party and everything you can think of goes wrong, they have the dinner party at 8 but you dont know how things go cause the movie ends.

its fun, sad and good, Renee:o

You and me both, Renee! There's a kind of magic in those old movies from the heyday of the 30s and 40s that is sadly lacking today. When I'm channel surfing, I have a tendency these days to keep checking on TCM and, well what do you know? There's a three or four star movie on there almost all the time!

I particularly like some of the old "film noir" crime dramas like "The Maltese Falcon." Man, they sure could write dialogue in those days.:)

Oh, and I absolutely love old Errol Flynn movies like "Captain Blood," and "The Seahawks."
Saint_

Classic Movie Lovers

Post by Saint_ »

hoppy;1267392 wrote: Old movies are better than most of the trash turned out by Hollywood these days. Even the old "B" movies have merit. So many of todays movies have lousy plots,

Story: the absolutely MUST HAVE ingredient.

nobody actors,

I'll disagree here. Modern actors, especially "stars," are so one-dimensional these days that I actually enjoy a gifted unknown now.

poor camera work,

I HATE STEADYCAM!! Somehow, preplanned static shots, which allow you to understand everything in an action sequence in context, has been subjugated in favor of steadycam (and I use the term very loosely) shots. It's OK to have a little editing break to accentuate the action, but when the whole movie devolves into an MTV video with no shot on screen for more than 3 seconds, all I get is a headache. (See: Transformers: Rise of the Fallen.)

I blame modern cartoons. They are training the children to have an attention span of about 2 seconds.
LarsMac

Classic Movie Lovers

Post by LarsMac »

The African Queen.

The ultimate "relationship" flick.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
filmnazi

Classic Movie Lovers

Post by filmnazi »

Saint_;1267410 wrote: Story: the absolutely MUST HAVE ingredient.

I'll disagree here. Modern actors, especially "stars," are so one-dimensional these days that I actually enjoy a gifted unknown now.

I HATE STEADYCAM!! Somehow, preplanned static shots, which allow you to understand everything in an action sequence in context, has been subjugated in favor of steadycam (and I use the term very loosely) shots. It's OK to have a little editing break to accentuate the action, but when the whole movie devolves into an MTV video with no shot on screen for more than 3 seconds, all I get is a headache. (See: Transformers: Rise of the Fallen.)

I blame modern cartoons. They are training the children to have an attention span of about 2 seconds.

Personally I blame reality television and the proliferation of cheap video cameras. Hell, you can hardly call it the film industry anymore as so many features these days are created in a digital format.

The combination of these two factors has degraded the stately composition and pace of yore.

On the other hand these techniques can be used to great effect, take for example District 9. The documentary style actually enhances the sense of reality making the all the CGI seem a lot less like CGI!
along-for-the-ride

Classic Movie Lovers

Post by along-for-the-ride »

A link for you, Renee.

Classic Movies - Everything For the Classic Film Fan

Enjoy! :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”