star trek

ivyivy

star trek

Post by ivyivy »

i think this a very interesting movie,i hope you can go to watch it.
Saint_

star trek

Post by Saint_ »

I LOVED it! But then I'm a "Trekker" (We prefer "Trekker" to Trekkie") from all the way back to the original series in the 1960s. I have all the box sets of the TOS (The Original Series) and all the box sets of "Star Trek: Voyager" (Which is equally good!) I want to work on the box sets of TNG next. (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Don't mention "Deep Space Nine." We don't consider that soap-opera as real Star Trek. And forget about the lame and confusing "Enterprise." that was a stain on the uniform for most of us.

The movie is actually very entertaining, with pretty decent writing, storyline, and excellent special effects. As any good Trekker, I watched with a critical eye towards plot-mistakes and nods to the old series, and I was pleasantly surprised. They dodge a lot of the confusion by setting up an alternate universe, and the funny back-and-forths between Spock, Bones, and Kirk were right on target.

My pick for best, most spot-on-to-the-old character? Dr. "Bones" McCoy.
Odie

star trek

Post by Odie »

I still have to see it!:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
along-for-the-ride

star trek

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I ordered it last week, so it should be coming soon to our home. I've heard alot of good reviews. :) Looking forward to seeing it.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
chonsigirl

star trek

Post by chonsigirl »

It's pretty good, but face it, nothing is better than the original. :-4
Rapunzel

star trek

Post by Rapunzel »

Saint_;1263743 wrote: I LOVED it! But then I'm a "Trekker" (We prefer "Trekker" to Trekkie") from all the way back to the original series in the 1960s. I have all the box sets of the TOS (The Original Series) and all the box sets of "Star Trek: Voyager" (Which is equally good!) I want to work on the box sets of TNG next. (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Don't mention "Deep Space Nine." We don't consider that soap-opera as real Star Trek. And forget about the lame and confusing "Enterprise." that was a stain on the uniform for most of us.

The movie is actually very entertaining, with pretty decent writing, storyline, and excellent special effects. As any good Trekker, I watched with a critical eye towards plot-mistakes and nods to the old series, and I was pleasantly surprised. They dodge a lot of the confusion by setting up an alternate universe, and the funny back-and-forths between Spock, Bones, and Kirk were right on target.

My pick for best, most spot-on-to-the-old character? Dr. "Bones" McCoy.

I LOVED it! But then, I'm a Trekkie! (A fan of TNG rather than TOS). I wasn't over-keen on the original series. I loved Spock - who is just as lovely in real life - but I found Kirk to be too sexist!

(Hubby wanted to name our second son Tiberius, after James T. Kirk - just as well we never had a second son really! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl)

I LOVED Star Trek TNG (The Next Generation) AND Voyager, which had a female captain and was more feminine imo in that it considered thoughts and feelings and temperaments and intuition, rather than the fight 'em/ shag 'em/ kill 'em theme which ran through the Original Series. :sneaky:

Deep Space Nine was intriguing and highly watchable until it got bogged down with defending the wormhole against an attack and invasion by the Dominion.

I found Enterprise hard-going, even though it had the utterly scrumptious Scott Bakula as the Captain. Hubby enjoyed the series though.

I loved the film. I loved the way they all met up. I enjoyed the fact that Kirk and Spock initially hated each other. Spock's love interest raised an eyebrow. I loved that all the characters looked and sounded so much like the men they would become in the original series, bar Chekov, who sounded right but looked totally wrong.
Saint_

star trek

Post by Saint_ »

Rapunzel;1263804 wrote: I found Kirk to be too sexist!

Yeah, I agree. But then, seeing how he was later in life, I kind of thought he might have been a jerk when he was young.

Chekov, who sounded right but looked totally wrong.

Wasn't that funny? They went to such great lengths to make sure that everyone looked like their young selves, except Checkov! I think that the actor, who is already famous, got the job sideways. Everyone is pretty much unknown.
Rapunzel

star trek

Post by Rapunzel »

Saint_;1263813 wrote: Yeah, I agree. But then, seeing how he was later in life, I kind of thought he might have been a jerk when he was young.

I agree. I think women fell over themselves to get to him and he was too full of his own sense of self importance. I find that quite a turn-off actually, but those were different times so maybe that was the kind of Hollywood attitude women idolised then?

Saint_;1263813 wrote: Wasn't that funny? They went to such great lengths to make sure that everyone looked like their young selves, except Checkov! I think that the actor, who is already famous, got the job sideways. Everyone is pretty much unknown.

It was hilarious! He was hilarious! His voice was absolutely perfect, but visually he was totally wrong. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

But then again, some of the film was tongue in cheek and I can't imagine they'd deliberately make such a glaring error when the rest of the film was so well thought out, so I can only imagine it was either done that way for a laugh or they kept him because his accent was so brilliant. He was a great character though, wasn't he? :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

As a btw, Zachary Quinto who played Sylar in Heroes, made a fantastic Spock. I didn't really think he was well-cast before I saw the film, but in actual fact, he was brilliant! :D
Odie

star trek

Post by Odie »

Rapunzel;1263804 wrote: I LOVED it! But then, I'm a Trekkie! (A fan of TNG rather than TOS). I wasn't over-keen on the original series. I loved Spock - who is just as lovely in real life - but I found Kirk to be too sexist!

(Hubby wanted to name our second son Tiberius, after James T. Kirk - just as well we never had a second son really! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl)

I LOVED Star Trek TNG (The Next Generation) AND Voyager, which had a female captain and was more feminine imo in that it considered thoughts and feelings and temperaments and intuition, rather than the fight 'em/ shag 'em/ kill 'em theme which ran through the Original Series. :sneaky:

Deep Space Nine was intriguing and highly watchable until it got bogged down with defending the wormhole against an attack and invasion by the Dominion.

I found Enterprise hard-going, even though it had the utterly scrumptious Scott Bakula as the Captain. Hubby enjoyed the series though.

I loved the film. I loved the way they all met up. I enjoyed the fact that Kirk and Spock initially hated each other. Spock's love interest raised an eyebrow. I loved that all the characters looked and sounded so much like the men they would become in the original series, bar Chekov, who sounded right but looked totally wrong.

did you ever watch Boston Legal?

It's in reruns now.

Kirk is one of the lawyers that owns the firm.

sexist? you have to see him on that show.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Saint_

star trek

Post by Saint_ »

Here's one of my favorite Star Trek pics: Hmmm.. didn't show up... I'll try this:

Attached files
Odie

star trek

Post by Odie »

Saint_;1263884 wrote: Here's one of my favorite Star Trek pics: Hmmm.. didn't show up... I'll try this:

now that one is awesome!
Odie

star trek

Post by Odie »

warp speed!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

he was so hot!

Kathy Ellen

star trek

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hey Saint,

I haven't been on FG too much lately, and I'm not sure if I welcomed you back to FG. Hope all is good with you:-6

I'm also a big time trekkie....I love and adored Kirk and have to laugh at him now with his antics on some of the talk shows. He's a bit wacky arguing with Spock and Sulu in real life, and singing on the Howard Stern show. But, he's still a stud muffin and has a good sense of humor:-6

Do you remember the triangular communication pin that Kirk wore on his shirt. I bought one from a catalog but lost it. Have you seen any adverts to buy one of these? Thanks:p
Odie

star trek

Post by Odie »

Sula didn't invite him to his recent wedding, that's why he is upset with him.
Saint_

star trek

Post by Saint_ »

Kathy Ellen;1263898 wrote: Hey Saint,

Do you remember the triangular communication pin that Kirk wore on his shirt. I bought one from a catalog but lost it. Have you seen any adverts to buy one of these? Thanks:p

Thanks for the welcome back, Kathy! I have one of those as well. A very nice, heavy one. I got it in Las Vegas, but I heard the the "Star Trek" experience closed down. (They used to have a store there.) So I don't know if you can still get one there.
Rapunzel

star trek

Post by Rapunzel »

Odie;1263856 wrote: did you ever watch Boston Legal?

It's in reruns now.

Kirk is one of the lawyers that owns the firm.

sexist? you have to see him on that show.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Lol! No sorry Odes, I haven't seen that show. :o
Rapunzel

star trek

Post by Rapunzel »

Saint_;1263884 wrote: Here's one of my favorite Star Trek pics: Hmmm.. didn't show up... I'll try this:

Love it!!! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
G-man

star trek

Post by G-man »

I just saw this on Blue-Ray and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was! I've never been much of a Star Trek fan since the original tv show. I did watch a bit of Deep Space Nine and when senator Ryan's wife was wearing that figure hugging body suit, but it had become more of a soap opera by then.

This was simply a good movie, in general. It's surprising how much time they spent on character development, as they rarely do so in science fiction.

Somebody mentioned Boston Legal back there... yeah, he's a chauvinist and so is his buddy David Spade! One of my favorite lines of all time is still that line Spade said on Pretty in Pink to Molly Ringwald as she's getting into her car. I love those two on that show! The Shat can act... I know he's done a lot of bad acting for decades, but he's good on that show playing a loony. :D

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Nomad

star trek

Post by Nomad »

I had no intention of subjecting myself to this movie but now I find myself thinking, "hmmm"....
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

star trek

Post by Nomad »

It was ok.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”