Dogma - Thanks Clodhopper

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Your message box is full, so I'm writing this here.

I absolutely loved Dogma!! The plot gets a bit tangled at times, but has loads of compelling moments. Not to mention enough theological merriment to confuse an angel.

I think the highlight for me was Alanis Morisette as God. The facial expressions!!! And the headstands. Fantastic when Linda Fiorentino asks "Why are we here?" and gets her nose tweaked as the answer!

Alan Rickman was great too!! Amazing cast altogether. Grin.

Thanks so much for suggesting the film!!

Dogma (1999)

YouTube - Kevin Smith's "Dogma" - Alanis Morrisette's "Still"
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I'm obviously going to have to get my hands on a copy of this, curious now. :-6
gmc

Post by gmc »

Not trying to be funny but do people actually believe angels are real? Having been brought up a wee free I'm unfamiliar with all of this. It wasn't till these threads that I realised dogma was a send up of Catholicism. I've seen it but never got that.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

gmc;1248954 wrote: Not trying to be funny but do people actually believe angels are real? Having been brought up a wee free I'm unfamiliar with all of this. It wasn't till these threads that I realised dogma was a send up of Catholicism. I've seen it but never got that.

Go for it, Betty B.

It's a lighthearted, playful film, uneven and quite silly at times. Thought provoking too. "Do you believe --- I have an idea" - Stuff like that.

Are angels real? If you asked me that face to face, gmc, maybe I'd feel tempted to tweak your nose.

:sneaky:

gmc

Post by gmc »

AussiePam;1248955 wrote: Go for it, Betty B.

It's a lighthearted, playful film, uneven and quite silly at times. Thought provoking too. "Do you believe --- I have an idea" - Stuff like that.

Are angels real? If you asked me that face to face, gmc, maybe I'd feel tempted to tweak your nose.

I don't think they're real. But i was just wondering- If people believe the bible is the literal word of god does that mean they also believe in angels? I've seen one or two tv series about angels but I've always thought of them in the same way as I do stories about vampires-entertaining but no one actually believes they are real. I'm just curious that's all.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

gmc;1248957 wrote: I don't think they're real. But i was just wondering- If people believe the bible is the literal word of god does that mean they also believe in angels? I've seen one or two tv series about angels but I've always thought of them in the same way as I do stories about vampires-entertaining but no one actually believes they are real. I'm just curious that's all.

I think that question might make a great thread, in the religious section. Will you start one, or will I??

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello Pam:-6

I finally had an opportunity to watch 'Dogma' this weekend. WOW and WOW again. I absolutely loved, loved, loved this movie.

I can usually multitask while I'm watching a movie, but my eyes, ears and heart were glued to this wonderful story.

It was a perfect movie for me, and I'm buying it soon so I can watch it a million times.

I'm tweaking you in the nose right now Pam:-6:p
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Kathy Ellen;1260575 wrote: Hello Pam:-6

I finally had an opportunity to watch 'Dogma' this weekend. WOW and WOW again. I absolutely loved, loved, loved this movie.

I can usually multitask while I'm watching a movie, but my eyes, ears and heart were glued to this wonderful story.

It was a perfect movie for me, and I'm buying it soon so I can watch it a million times.

I'm tweaking you in the nose right now Pam:-6:p

Ooh that's a reminder for me to put this film on me list of things to do when I've finished this years uni, it's a mile long already :wah:
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I'm so glad you liked it, Kathy!! And hope you do too, Betty B !!!

I now own a copy!!! Grin.

It's pelting rain today - Sunday, but I'm still going to catch the ferry to Manly and walk by water, in water too probably. Aqua pluvia.

Yesterday's wander through the sculptures was crowded and hot, but fantastic. I am sorting photos now, and will post some favourites later in the other thread.

My nose feels tweaked, somehow!!

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I wanted to see this movie and since I read the write up on it and found out it was filmed mainly in Pittsburgh, I really want to get it now! I will do so next time I go to the video store.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I accidently watched this movie back when everyone was talking about Stigmata....

they aren't very similar...:D:o
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”