Gran Torino..!!(Eastwood Stars Directs)

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

GRAN TORINO CLINT EASTWOOD (The man is still great) loved this movie..

Curmudgeonly Korean War veteran Walt Kowalski (Clint Eastwood), (who also directs) must confront his Hmong immigrant neighbors -- and his own long-held prejudices -- when the family's teenage son, Thao (Bee Vang), tries to steal Walt's beloved 1972 Gran Torino. Walt soon assumes the unlikely role of guardian angel to young Thao and his sister Sue (Ahney Her), both of whom are vulnerable to local gang influences.

Attached files
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Mustang

Post by Mustang »

I picked up the DVD but haven't watched it yet. Everyone that I've talked to say they loved it.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

CARLA;1223798 wrote: GRAN TORINO CLINT EASTWOOD (The man is still great) loved this movie..

Curmudgeonly Korean War veteran Walt Kowalski (Clint Eastwood), (who also directs) must confront his Hmong immigrant neighbors -- and his own long-held prejudices -- when the family's teenage son, Thao (Bee Vang), tries to steal Walt's beloved 1972 Gran Torino. Walt soon assumes the unlikely role of guardian angel to young Thao and his sister Sue (Ahney Her), both of whom are vulnerable to local gang influences.

How did you feel about his "racist" remarks ?

Did you think he was racist or just a curmudgeon ?

Is it possible to speak the way he speaks and not be racist ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

cool film loved it
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

How did you feel about his "racist" remarks ?

That is what his character is a "Racist War Vet".

Both

I think part of it was shock at what he was saying, and who he was saying it to. Clint still has the acting skills to be terrifying and likable at the same time. He plays Walt’s as a likable hero despite being a cranky racist who doesn’t know any better.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I wasnt offended by his remarks. I thought he was able to say what he said and pass it off as old school with a side of non political correctness.
I AM AWESOME MAN
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Nomad;1223819 wrote: How did you feel about his "racist" remarks ?

The story wouldn't have worked without them:thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

gmc

Post by gmc »

Nomad;1223819 wrote: How did you feel about his "racist" remarks ?

Depends how you look at it. On the one hand it is acceptable and part of social interaction to make fun of the differences between people in a way that isn't seen as racist-be it calling someone ginger because they have red hair, paddy because they are irish yank because they are American bring the phrase don't mention the war because they are german (I have german friends who "get" the joke and don't find it offensive) we call the french frogs the spanish dagoes the italians wops and they are equally capable of taking the **** out of us and do o on a regular basis. In the right circumstances it's not offensive and highlights the differences that make people and nations unique. In the wrong circumstances it starts a fight. In the wrong circumstances it's racist in others it's affectionate or just funny.

You notice his neighbours give back in kind as good a they get. remember the bit where he tells them to keep their hands off his dog and she tells him they only eat cats.

I think there are some people who decide there could be offence when there isn't any and actually create problems. My wife was a teacher in London in the eighties when some genius decided that blackboards could no longer be called blackboards but had to be referred to as chalkboards. It was ridiculous -you don't get black coffee in the likes of starbucks it's cafe american (don't ask me why).

Some people just can't tell the difference between a leg pull and an insult. between badinage and provocation and are too quick to look for insult.

I think we're a poorer society when we can't enjoy the differences in people.
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

CARLA;1223798 wrote: GRAN TORINO CLINT EASTWOOD (The man is still great) loved this movie..

I thought that this was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

mikeinie;1223958 wrote: I thought that this was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.

We can agree on this. I'm a movie buff. I watch many movies each week. And I see so many that are poorly done, make no sense, lousy camera work or a good story ruined by poor, nobody actors. It's becoming rare to see a well put together and done, film.

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”