Jive's Movie Picks!

Jives

Jive's Movie Picks!

Post by Jives »

I'm an avid movie buff. I took some classes in college on it and have a huge collection of DVD's and movies. I consider myself an pretty well-informed on the movies and only rarely hear about one I haven't heard about before, so I'd like to start a thread where I steer all of you to some real jewells of my collection and critique the new movies that come out.

Here's one that just came out and can actually be found in the $5 bin at Walmart, it's part of the "Clint Eastwood" collection.

"Where Eagles Dare" (1968) - This is a real thrill ride of a movie and although Clint Eastwood is featured in the cover art, it's actually one of Richard Burton's best performances. The action never lets up as a small group of commandos try to crack a massive fortress, high on a mountain in Austria to save a captured General.

Plot twists abound and all are as unexpected as they are logical, making for a nicely flowing movie that surprises constantly. I particularly like the strong performances by the two females actresses in this movie. The movie doesn't stereotype the girls, they are hard working, intelligent and when need be, and vicious with a machine gun. Tough as nails girls that manage to still stay feminine.

From the awesome visuals and excellent dialogue, to the superb acting, to the outstanding chase sequences, to the amazing fight atop a gondola hundreds of feet in the air... this is one movie that won't disappoint action movie fans!

Horror buff? Here's one for you!

"Near Dark" - This is by far the scariest and most realistic Vampire movie ever made. A young cowboy runs afoul of a group of traveling vampires in the West. With "Bonnie and Clyde" style shootouts, and bloodthirsty "kill everyone in the bar" scenes, it may be too much for younger fans. But snappy dialogue with lines like "how old are you ?" "Let's put it this way, I fought for the South. We lost." the movie is definitely riveting. Bill Paxton shines here in one of his most over the top performances. Siskel and Ebert called it the best vampire movie of the last decade. Watch for the "Russian roulette poker" scene!
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Jives

Jive's Movie Picks!

Post by Jives »

Yep! Chilling and realistic. I liked that the oldest Vampire was actually just a child and had issues with his size.

Today's Pick: "Miracle Mile" (1980's)

Prepare for a real slap to the side of the face movie. It begins calmly enough, with a likeable nerd meeting his true love and missing a date with her. But when he answers a phone booth (never do that!) he is told by a young boy in a missile silo that WWIII has started. He is faced with the idea that the world may end in 4 hours and he is the only one who knows.....or does he? The movie spirals out of control after that, getting stranger and crazier by the second until the shocking ending! Trust me, you have to see this movie to believe it.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”