The Day The Earth Stood Still.....

Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

.....well it certainly did for me after watching that.

A fine example of why old classics should never be remade.

I should say though that Keanu Reeves was perfectly cast as the emotionless alien, so he didnt even have to try this time. :rolleyes:

A dissapointing 3/10
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I wouldn't watch it, I love the classic one myself.
spot

Post by spot »

I did watch, to compare. None if it was a patch on Michael Rennie, the disintegration into the final reel of The Mummy was a dreadful disappointment, the ending ought to be far more ambiguous and less deux-ex-machina end-of-story. It was a shocking waste of money and resources, filming that.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Snowfire;1161011 wrote: I should say though that Keanu Reeves was perfectly cast as the emotionless alien, so he didnt even have to try this time. :rolleyes:
He probably screwed that up by trying not to be himself, though. :wah:

spot;1161110 wrote: I did watch, to compare. None if it was a patch on Michael Rennie, the disintegration into the final reel of The Mummy was a dreadful disappointment, the ending ought to be far more ambiguous and less deux-ex-machina end-of-story. It was a shocking waste of money and resources, filming that.

Okay, between Keanu and the use of deux ex machina... that's enough to convince me NOT to even bother seeing it.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

dubs

Post by dubs »

Have they run out of ideas or something? Why re-make classic films, and do a botch job? In fact why re-make them at all?

eg...War of the Worlds..The Wicker Man..The Haunting..and THE PINK PANTHER...That's a double whammy. Not only is the film crap, it's got the un funniest man in comedy, Steve Martin, in it!...Total Pants, the lot of them! :thinking:

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
spot

Post by spot »

and there's only one Edward Woodward.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Snowfire;1161011 wrote: .....well it certainly did for me after watching that.

A fine example of why old classics should never be remade.

I should say though that Keanu Reeves was perfectly cast as the emotionless alien, so he didnt even have to try this time. :rolleyes:

A dissapointing 3/10 That's not fair on Keanu who is known for his passion and emotional roles. I can't think any but he looks good...... eye candy for the girls :wah: he can bring his Matrix round to me any time.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Ally

Post by Ally »

oscar;1161198 wrote: That's not fair on Keanu who is known for his passion and emotional roles. I can't think any but he looks good...... eye candy for the girls :wah: he can bring his Matrix round to me any time.

AGREE WITH U THERE OSCAR,VERY NICE EYE CANDY AND HE IS A GOOD ACTOR.i HAVENT SEEN THE REMAKE,CANT SAY THE ORIGINAL WAS ANY GOOD ANYWAY.:lips:
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Ally;1161367 wrote: AGREE WITH U THERE OSCAR,VERY NICE EYE CANDY AND HE IS A GOOD ACTOR.i HAVENT SEEN THE REMAKE,CANT SAY THE ORIGINAL WAS ANY GOOD ANYWAY.:lips: You must see the whole trilolgy of the Matrix. The last was brilliant. I also though he was brilliant in 'Speed' with Sandra Bullock. Who cares if he can't act :wah: Just the sight of him does it for me. :-4
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”